GOOD Experiences with Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOD Experiences with Restaurants

We've all had bad experiences with restaurants at one time or another.

I remember picking up a pizza from a well known chain, only to discover a cigarette butt in/on it. This is NOT about that.

This is about GOOD SERVICE, or GREAT FOOD, or GOOD EXPERIENCES with restaurants.

It's prompted by a visit to a Pappasito's Mexican Restaurant. I think they're only in Texas right now, but I love their food. Unfortunately, they're about 40 miles from my house, but I was in their neighborhood the other day, so I thought I'd pick up a 'to go' order for when Mrs CP got home from work. While I was in there, the manager saw me, and recognized me apparently as a repeat customer. He struck up a conversation, and I asked him if he also managed the Olive Garden across the street. (I thought I was joking, but he did, in FACT, manage both restaurants)

I commented that I was always impressed with the cleanliness and professionalism of his Olive Garden location, and I had heard comments about how neat and clean the kitchen was. He smiled real big, and said, "come with me".

He took me on a tour of the kitchen - NUMEROUS cooks working - lots of activity, but pointed out (with obvious pride) how neatly everything was organized, how there was obvious separation from foods that could otherwise be cross-contaminating, that his walk-in cooler was well stocked and very "ship shape".

He said, "I know you've heard horror stories about how food is handled behind the scenes, and I wanted you to see how we do it here".

I was, indeed, pretty impressed. This particular manager (I had learned from a former employee) actually has each shift of employees "stand at attention for inspection" while he makes sure their uniforms or apparel is neat, clean, pressed, name badges properly displayed, shoes shined, etc......

Too many times we talk about our BAD experiences. This thread isn't that.

(I can't speak for ALL Pappasito's Restaurants (or the variety of other Pappa's - Pappadeux, Pappa's BBQ, etc) or ALL Olive Gardens, but these two locations are among my favorites because I know what goes on behind the scenes.)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Actually just discovered they're also in Marietta, Georgia! Who knew!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, for good Italian food one a good place was Tedesco's. All of their stuff I had was good, especially their garlic rolls!
      Sadly they are no longer in business.

Comment

I know that many don't consider fast food an actual restaurant but since we're speaking of good experiences...

Last weekend I went by Steak n' Shake and picked up a burger and fries through the drive-thru while heading into work. Generally I tell burger joints to give me a plain burger because there are several things I don't care for on it and its just easier to ask for it plain than to find out what they put on it and have certain things removed. Well, when I got to work I found that the burger was loaded after twice specifying that I wanted it plain.

Monday I went back and complained. The manager not only gave me another burger but also another order of fries and a complementary milk shake for my trouble.

That is the way to rectify a mistake.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah this place here called Fazoli's. They know I have an allergy to black pepper and the manager always remember's me, so she always offers to make my food pepper free. They are definately fast Italian but Customer Service is Top Notch. The Second Place is called Culver's. Again, Fast food, But the owners are awesome!!! They know all their frequent customers, and bring your food to you. Its fresh cooked, so its not as "fast" as some fast food. Its always good.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have really good experiences with my mom's cooking, does that count?

Comment

There is a Carino's Italian restaurant in Frankfort, KY that I really like. They make the best Marsala Chicken and Steak Gorgonzola that I have ever tasted.

Comment

In Clarksville, TN there is a Korean restaurant called "the Sunshine Grill" that makes the best German food! The couple who own it, one is korean and the other is german. I love their Wiener Schnitzel and Slaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  I have really good experiences with my mom's cooking, does that count?
                  Does she charge you for your meals?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nick, OBP, and a few other TWebbers went to a pizza place with me a few years back near my home called Napoli Italian Grill. We had a blast and the service was great.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There's a Texas Roadhouse near me that always has the most attentive staff. Always there to quickly refill your drink or get you more dinner rolls.

There's also a Thai restaurant called Yummy Thai that has some of the most courteous staff I have ever encountered. Great food as well.

Finally, I have to bring up a authentic Mexican restaurant set up in an old Denny's called El Palenque. Truly a living example of the American Dream.
                      Last edited by Knowing Thomas; 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Does she charge you for your meals?
                        I'm paying rent to her, does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                          There's a Texas Roadhouse near me that always has the most attentive staff. Always there to quickly refill your drink or get you more dinner rolls.

There's also a Thai restaurant called Yummy Thai that has some of the most courteous staff I have ever encountered. Great food as well.

Finally, I have to bring up a authentic Mexican restaurant set up in an old Denny's called El Palenque. Truly a living example of the American Dream.
                          I actually know the people who started the Texas Roadhouse franchise. I mean, I'm not good friends with them or anything, but for many years I went to school with their daughter. They always helped supply food for special school functions too, which was really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            I actually know the people who started the Texas Roadhouse franchise. I mean, I'm not good friends with them or anything, but for many years I went to school with their daughter. They always helped supply food for special school functions too, which was really nice.
                            Yeah I like Texas Roadhouse too. My friends and I have been going there for years. One friend's little girl called it "The Peanut Place" and that is what we still call it today. "Hey, ya wanna go to the peanut place?"

We like Tumbleweed texmex restaurants too. I even did a marketing campaign for them back when I was in advertising.

Comment

I really appreciate 5 Guys for the great energy their employees have. I don't know if its an act or not, but it doesn't appear to be. Seems like they make a decent wage for flipping burgers, and actually enjoy the work. Not uncommon to hear them singing or joking around while working, but still concentrating on the task at hand and producing great tasting food.

Comment