Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What constitutes a "hero"?

Don't know where else to put this.

I am interested in what the members of Tweb consider the makeup of a hero. Don't want debate.

Thanks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Someone that does the right thing no matter what. Even if it hurts or kills them. Even if everyone else thinks they are uncool for doing the right thing instead of the safe or selfish choice.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Don't know where else to put this.

I am interested in what the members of Tweb consider the makeup of a hero. Don't want debate.

Thanks.
      Me.
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I am not interested in spam in this thread.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

To me if a hero is human then I don't expect him to be perfect.
          I expect him to make mistakes whether on accident or on purpose.
          I guess I'm describing a morally ambiguous hero honestly.
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I am not interested in spam in this thread.
            I'm wondering if you're getting at the fact that we bandy about the word "hero" all to easily. Calling people "heroes" for doing things that any reasonable person would have done.

Lemme take a crack at this, and maybe we can come to some kind of consensus or understanding.

A hero is somebody who does something unselfish, at (great?) peril to themselves, to save or protect the life or property of somebody else, overcoming their own fears and concerns.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I'm wondering if you're getting at the fact that we bandy about the word "hero" all to easily. Calling people "heroes" for doing things that any reasonable person would have done.
              That's exactly what I am getting at.

Lemme take a crack at this, and maybe we can come to some kind of consensus or understanding.

A hero is somebody who does something unselfish, at (great?) peril to themselves, to save or protect the life or property of somebody else, overcoming their own fears and concerns.
              Okay. I actually don't have a problem with this, or with what Cbw said, or Cerealman.

I am asking because, like you, CP, I think the term is overly used, so that even sports figures are "heroes", Hollywood has it's own "heroes", etc.

And wondering why we have come to this state.

Comment

I agree with CBW's definition. I personally prefer to say that individual actions are heroic than to say that somebody is a hero.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And wondering why we have come to this state.
                  Let's call it meaning transference. A hero is someone people generally look up to because they're awesome for the reasons CP mentioned. Someone may decide that some other guy or gal is also awesome, though perhaps for somewhat different reasons. No matter, it still counts as someone to look up to because they're awesome, which is close enough for most people. Then we get to looking up to people that we think are awesome for whatever reason and who cares if anyone else thinks those people are also awesome. It's not so close to the original conception, but it's not so far from the second conception which is still close enough for most people. In two short steps we've moved from hero as someone who's awesome because they did certain things to hero as someone we look up to. From there we move pretty easily into a hero as someone who has done something we think it'd be neat to do too. Both of these last two cases are ridiculously broad and can encompass pretty much anyone we want. The original meaning hasn't been lost so much as simply watered down.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    Let's call it meaning transference. A hero is someone people generally look up to because they're awesome for the reasons CP mentioned. Someone may decide that some other guy or gal is also awesome, though perhaps for somewhat different reasons. No matter, it still counts as someone to look up to because they're awesome, which is close enough for most people. Then we get to looking up to people that we think are awesome for whatever reason and who cares if anyone else thinks those people are also awesome. It's not so close to the original conception, but it's not so far from the second conception which is still close enough for most people. In two short steps we've moved from hero as someone who's awesome because they did certain things to hero as someone we look up to. From there we move pretty easily into a hero as someone who has done something we think it'd be neat to do too. Both of these last two cases are ridiculously broad and can encompass pretty much anyone we want. The original meaning hasn't been lost so much as simply watered down.
                    Kinda makes me think of the valor thieves -- people who wear (or claim) war decorations they were not legitimately awarded.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Absolutely. Over the last several decades we have turned entertainers (whether in sports, music or acting) into heroes. That says much about our society and it isn't good.

I should add that this doesn't mean that an entertainer cannot do something heroic but rather merely starring in a couple good films or TV series or having a great year playing a game does not count.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I liked the premise of Disney's Hercules that a hero wasn't a hero because he slayed the hydra or drove off the minotaur, but because he sacrificed himself for others for no other reason than it was the right thing to do. That's why I only have one hero. Guess who that is?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Jesus? Maybe that's why English teachers/ annoying literature people like to claim that fictional good guy protagonists are Christ Figures? Because Jesus is the only one who was always heroic and never did anything wrong.

Comment

The ultimate hero: God's Christ. Our Savior Jesus of Nazareth.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Of course! That's why He's the one fictional characters keep getting compared to! That gets annoying though. Because said fictional characters aren't divine!

Comment