No announcement yet.

What constitutes a "hero"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question. I would think self-sacrifice might have a lot to do with it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Good question. I would think self-sacrifice might have a lot to do with it.
      "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 Well, Jesus sure did that!
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 Well, Jesus sure did that!
        Actually, Jesus "one uppped" what He said --- he also died for His enemies.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Ok, so we all seem to be on the same page here.

Now, to add a bit to the question in the op.

Would you consider every police officer, fireman, military member a hero?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Not every member, no. If he/she goes above and beyond what is expected -- and, since that's pretty hard, since he's PAID to risk his life to "protect and to serve", the bar is much higher.

I remember a fellow officer (in a neighboring department) getting shot out in the open by a sniper, and as he lay bleeding, another officer ran out there to drag his body back behind the concrete base of a statue, getting shot at as he ran. He, in my book, is a hero.

That's why citations for valor or bravery use the phrase "above and beyond the call of duty" or such.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Not every member, no. If he/she goes above and beyond what is expected -- and, since that's pretty hard, since he's PAID to risk his life to "protect and to serve", the bar is much higher.

I remember a fellow officer (in a neighboring department) getting shot out in the open by a sniper, and as he lay bleeding, another officer ran out there to drag his body back behind the concrete base of a statue, getting shot at as he ran. He, in my book, is a hero.

That's why citations for valor or bravery use the phrase "above and beyond the call of duty" or such.
                Agreed.

What about the officer who was shot? Would you consider him a hero?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Agreed.

What about the officer who was shot? Would you consider him a hero?
                  Which officer?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Which officer?
                    The one the other one risked his life to save.

Comment

The one the other one risked his life to save.
                      Ah, gotcha.

The first officer was just doing his job, and quite honestly, not quite so well. The radio dispatch advised of a sniper - he shouldn't have been out in the open in the first place. It could be argued he put the other guy's life in jeopardy by getting shot like that, and requiring a rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Jesus? Maybe that's why English teachers/ annoying literature people like to claim that fictional good guy protagonists are Christ Figures? Because Jesus is the only one who was always heroic and never did anything wrong.
                        Going to guess that some combination of a) the protagonists in question actually do function as 'Christ Figures', b) they tend to only teach those stories that use the 'Christ Figure' concept, c) they don't know what 'Christ Figure' actually means, and d) they don't know/understand other forms that protagonists can take.

I've read a lot of fiction. Very few protagonists that I've encountered would count as a Christ Figure.

Definitely not. Most firemen probably qualify. A significant portion of police and military definitely don't. In fact, I'd argue that public perception of these roles as heroes goes a long way to ruining its usage.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          Definitely not. Most firemen probably qualify.
                          I'm curious why you would think this.

Comment

I am interested in what the members of Tweb consider the makeup of a hero.
                            Definitely not THIS.

Comment

I think, in the case of fire fighters, police officers and the military, they each have their own standards for what constitutes heroism. They are generally well thought out and not based on emotion.

It might be a good idea to defer to each of those organizations as to the standards they set.

For example, not EVERY police officer gets a citation for service "above and beyond".

But, then again, we live in a "everybody gets a trophy" society.

Comment

You are unique. Just like everybody else.

Comment