Irrational fears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irrational fears?

Do any of you have any irrational fears?

Swimming in open ocean, or any water where I can't see the bottom, gives me the creeps big-time. I'm pretty sure it's not a legitimate phobia, but I really don't ever want to go swimming in open ocean. No thanks. I also really don't like putting my face underwater.

This might have something to do with the fact that I was never actually taught how to swim. I was taught to tread-water, late, and then just sort of figured out how to turn that into swimming. Consequently, I'm a lousy swimmer, although I can do it.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Besides my fear of Internet threads about irrational fears, you mean?

Nah, not really. At worst I have fears about my life, family members, the future, etc, that may ultimately be unfounded, but that doesn't seem to be what you were talking about. I do have family members who legitimately have irrational fears about certain animals, though, to the point that they can't even bear to look at a cartoon drawing of one without panicking. It's bizarre, and I wish there was some way to help.

*waits for New York Post author to write dismissive, callous article mocking people with phobias
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

I highly dislike going across high bridges over water. It started in 2004 when we were traveling along the Pacific coast and crossed the Columbia River from Astoria, OR to Washington state.

Since then I have been FORCED to cross the Golden Gate Bridge, the bridge that crosses from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to the Lower, twice, and the 23 km causeway from PEI to NB. All with heart in throat and many prayers.

I don't know why I became fearful.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Tight spaces. The walls actually DO move in closer when I am confined. I know it. I would not do well in prison.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Spiders, although not the the extent where I would go running.

Comment

I think even if you don't know the reason why you have a fear, you think you shouldn't have a fear, or you think your fear is out of proportion to the danger that something is to you, there still is an underlying perfectly logical reason for why you are experiencing it, so I wouldn't call any fears irrational. The universe still runs by the rules of cause and effect even when it comes to fears.
            Last edited by Soyeong; 01-02-2015, 11:13 AM.
            "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

In my case, the fear is clearly irrational. I understand physics well enough to know that the walls are actually NOT moving, and the physical space I am in is NOT decreasing in size. I know these to be facts, but it doesn't keep my heart from racing, and it does nothing to quell the urgent need I feel to remove myself from a tight space.

When I watch an astronaut movie where somebody is putting on the "fish bowl" helmet, or a deep sea diver is putting on his helmet... I just cringe.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                In my case, the fear is clearly irrational. I understand physics well enough to know that the walls are actually NOT moving, and the physical space I am in is NOT decreasing in size. I know these to be facts, but it doesn't keep my heart from racing, and it does nothing to quell the urgent need I feel to remove myself from a tight space.

When I watch an astronaut movie where somebody is putting on the "fish bowl" helmet, or a deep sea diver is putting on his helmet... I just cringe.
                I can cure you. I charge $5 for the first 5 minutes and then absolutely nothing after that. I can almost guarantee you that it will not take the entire 5 minutes.

I am going to say two words to you and I want you to listen very, very closely and take them with you. Are you ready? Here they are...

STOP IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                  I think even if you don't know the reason why you have a fear, you think you shouldn't have a fear, or you think your fear is out of proportion to the danger that something is to you, there still is an underlying perfectly logical reason for why you are experiencing it, so I wouldn't call any fears irrational. The universe still runs by the rules of cause and effect even when it comes to fears.
                  This makes sense to me. If I was ever on a yacht on open ocean, I could go out into the water and swim...I just wouldn't particularly want to. It's not like mine is a paralyzing fear. More of a "man this really gives me the willies."

I would make a terrible astronaut.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Right, but unless you are arguing for an exception to the rules of cause and effect, there is nevertheless a perfectly logical reason for why you are being caused to feel that way. Your fear may appear to you to be unreasonable, but it only seems that way because you don't fully understand what is causing it.
                    "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                      Right, but unless you are arguing for an exception to the rules of cause and effect, there is nevertheless a perfectly logical reason for why you are being caused to feel that way.
                      Yes, there is a rational reason why the fear is irrational. But it is, nonetheless, irrational to believe the walls are moving.

Your fear may appear to you to be unreasonable, but it only seems that way because you don't fully understand what is causing it.
                      Yes, I actually do. By brother locked me in a cedar chest when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I can cure you. I charge $5 for the first 5 minutes and then absolutely nothing after that. I can almost guarantee you that it will not take the entire 5 minutes.

I am going to say two words to you and I want you to listen very, very closely and take them with you. Are you ready? Here they are...

STOP IT!!!
                        And, now you know why I enjoy that video SO much!

Comment

I think I am afraid of failure but ironically, the anxiety pushes me to do things - or not to - that I know full well will only make failure more likely. I guess I'm actually afraid of failing when I've tried my best.

yes, this is a problem...
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Other than general social anxiety? Slugs and snails give me the creeps. I've hung out in closets, I've swam in the ocean in the dark far enough out my feet didnt touch the ground, I've even done a little public speaking (with associated nervous habits), but point out a snail and I'll do every in my power to avoid it.
                            Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Clowns. And windmills. How crazy is that?
                              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment