The Misplaced Amen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Misplaced Amen

I have a friend who's quite the comedian. He's a pastor, and loves to tell about ornery things he did as a kid. (When I tell these stories to friends, they say, "yeah, sure -- a 'friend', huh?" -- indicating they think this was me! )

One of his "routines" was a list of things to do from the congregation to "encourage" your pastor.

One of my favorites was "the misplaced amen". He would say, "at random, in the middle of the preacher's sentence, yell AMEN". It was supposed to be especially "effective" if it was obviously out of place....

"We have seen a decrease in funding for..." AMEN!!!!

Yeah, it's dumb. But you'd have to know Tuck.

ANYWAY --- I've seen several times here on Tweb where somebody comments about an "amen" that somebody else posted, even attacking that person (me, on at least one occasion) for "supporting" a particular comment in a long post, where it was the overall post that was "amen'd".

I often amen somebody if they say something that makes sense, or with which I agree, even though I may not particularly like them as a person (as much as we know "persons" from their online persona) It doesn't necessarily mean that I'm endorsing that poster, or the ENTIRETY of what they said.

I just think it's a bit odd to attack somebody for "amen'ing" another poster because you ASSUME they must agree with a specific something that may have been said in a much larger context.

In fact, I gotta admit that the orneriness in me causes me, on occasion, to amen somebody just because I know it ticks somebody else off.

I'm trying to work on that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

You posted this so you could get more amens didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I have a friend who's...
      AMEN!

Sorry bro. Couldn't resist

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Really?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          Not this time, no. But if you want to hack Rogue off, feel free!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This was actually posted in response, at least partly, to a PM discussion I'm having with a poster who seemed concerned about the same thing.

Comment

This was actually posted in response, at least partly, to a PM discussion I'm having with a poster who seemed concerned about the same thing.
              But they weren't joking were they?

Comment

But they weren't joking were they?
                No, they weren't joking -- When person A says something hurtful about person B, and person C amens person A's post, it's easy for person B to think person A agrees that person B is an idiot.

Did ya get that?

Comment

No, they weren't joking -- When person A says something hurtful about person B, and person C amens person A's post, it's easy for person B to think person A agrees that person B is an idiot.

Did ya get that?
                  Yeah, I got it. I don't agree with it myself though.

I think maybe it might be good is there was an explanation of "amens" in the page on Campus Decorum. It would probably help with this situation.

Comment

Not this time, no. But if you want to hack Rogue off, feel free!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Comment

I amened pretty much every post in this thread. If I missed any it was a mistake. Amen.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment