Ghost Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Stories

The other day in the ShoutBox, Punkinhead was telling about going to the cemetery at night to rescue a young lady who had gone into the cemetery and had gotten lost.
    The chat turned to ghosts, and she asked me if I believed in ghosts.
    I told her I believed in "something', from previous experiences, but didn't really know.

Here's my story.

We lived in a church parsonage in the early 90's for about 5 years. The driveway came in from a side street (on a corner lot) so we always came in and out the back door.

When you come in the back door, the "open" kitchen is on your right, the large living room on the left, the front door entry area directly across the room, and off to the left of the living room was a hallway that went to the master bedroom and guest room. If you went through the kitchen to the right, you'd be in the dining room, and a hallway that led to my youngest daughter's room. Jay (her nickname) was finishing high school back then, getting ready for college)

On more than a few occasions, as I came in the back door, I would THINK I saw a man standing at the entrance to the hallway at the far end of the living room - a tall thin man, kinda bent over slightly, and as soon as I saw him, he would turn and disappear down the hallway. It would be one of those things where I THOUGHT I saw him, but couldn't say for sure. It was "out of the corner of my eye", and when I looked to actually SEE him, he'd be gone. I never mentioned it to my wife or youngest daughter.

One day I got home, my daughter had been in her room, and was coming to the kitchen to greet me. I saw the man at the entrance to the hallway, but he disappeared as usual. My daughter obviously saw my reaction, subtle though I thought it was, and when I turned to hug her, she stepped back and said, quite calmly, "you saw him too". She caught me off guard, and I didn't immediately respond, but she said, "I've seen him probably a dozen times, and he always just disappears down the hallway, but he never makes you feel afraid".

Yeah, that! I never had a sense that he was "trouble", and he always seemed "shy", never any sound, never anything more than a "glimpse", and never enough "visual" to be able to say exactly what I saw. Jay (my daughter) and I compared notes, and we pretty much agreed we had been seeing the very same thing.

After we'd lived there for about three years, I met the older woman who had sold the house to the Church. She sold the house because it was a fairly large 3 bedroom home, and her husband had passed away and she was all alone. She didn't need that much house, so she moved to efficiency apartment. And, yeah, her husband had been a tall thin man, and had apparently died in the house.

That's my first ghost story. I have another.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Interesting.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Neither of us ever mentioned this to my wife. From my perspective, I didn't want her to be scared.

Subsequently, I was at dinner with wife, Jay and her husband, and she (Jay) brought up the topic. My wife, obviously, was clueless, and claimed she never knew anything about this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't believe in ghosts. I think our spirits either go to be with the Lord, or wherever he sends some after they die. I don't believe they hang around on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I don't believe in ghosts. I think our spirits either go to be with the Lord, or wherever he sends some after they die. I don't believe they hang around on earth.
          Well, yeah, me too.

Comment

I think a question is, if we see some sort of spectre, could it be a daemon posing as a ghost?
            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

I believe it is demonic activity.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That's certainly a consideration, but to what intent? There was not even any sense of fear or ill will or danger...

On the OTHER hand, my OTHER story has those elements.. where a person was purposefully engaging in supernatural activity, albeit just a lowly ouija board.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  That's certainly a consideration, but to what intent? There was not even any sense of fear or ill will or danger...

On the OTHER hand, my OTHER story has those elements.. where a person was purposefully engaging in supernatural activity, albeit just a lowly ouija board.
                  You had me at Ouija Board....
                  I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

What makes you think you have some sort of special spidey-sense that alerts you to danger or ill-will when it comes to something like that? It could have been a demon, or it could have been a time-traveler coming to steal your bacon.

timetravel.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                      You had me at Ouija Board....
                      Personally, I think playing with that kind of stuff -- and seances -- is an INVITATION to demonic activity.

Comment

I don't know. You are a believer, and maybe the Holy Spirit within you kept you from being afraid. Maybe the spirit was sent there to test your faith. I don't know.

Way back in 1987 I worked for several months in a toy store. They sold ouija boards. I had to dust them. I prayed that while I worked there that we would never sell any. And we didn't sell any. But I still had to dust them.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          What makes you think you have some sort of special spidey-sense that alerts you to danger or ill-will when it comes to something like that?
                          Because of other situations where there was DEFINITELY an "awareness" of evil.

Comment

Because of other situations where there was DEFINITELY an "awareness" of evil.
                            Maybe it was an angel.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              I don't know. You are a believer, and maybe the Holy Spirit within you kept you from being afraid. Maybe the spirit was sent there to test your faith. I don't know.
                              And, again, if Jay had not told me about this before I told her, I would have thought maybe I was imagining this, because there was never anything "solid" or something at which I had a good hard look.

Way back in 1987 I worked for several months in a toy store. They sold ouija boards. I had to dust them. I prayed that while I worked there that we would never sell any. And we didn't sell any. But I still had to dust them.
                              I borrowed one from a friend once when I was a kid --- BOY my momma hit the roof and wanted "that thing" out of her house IMMEDIATELY!

Comment