What are some good gifts for a tween?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good gifts for a tween?

My niece will be 11 years old pretty soon, and I have little idea what to get her. I know that she loves to draw, loves to sing, loves gadgets and playing games on her iPad, loves nonfiction, loves ancient mythology, even likes nesting dolls (which I got her last Christmas). She's incredibly smart, and recently won student of the month. Her mother says she's read the Lemony Snicket books to book 5. Has expressed interest in the Hunger Games books (which I'm not so sure about). Her parents are Christians, but a couple years ago I bought her WLC's The Defense Never Rests with workbook, and found it stuffed in a corner of a room never cracked open. Her parents simply don't think about or care about apologetics, so its nothing she's ever been exposed to. I don't necessarily need to get her something "Christian", but would like to find her something that she would actively engage with. I remember as a kid getting lots of gifts that older me would have loved, but at the age of 11 thought were sort of lame, and never utilized or played with. So do you all have any ideas? Nothing is too outlandish, especially if it leads me in the right direction. I'd love to get her something that she'd cherish for a long time. A few months ago I got her younger sister a portable record player and a Yellow Submarine lunchbox. She had no idea what to do with the record player (I'm hoping that some day she'll gain an appreciation for vinyl, but her parents seemed as confused about the gift as she was), and she LOVED the Yellow Submarine lunchbox, but it turned out to be too small to pack decent sized lunches into.

Sincerely, hopelessly confused Uncle Adrift.

Maybe take her to a bookstore and let her pick out some books? Then you get to spend some quality time with her and learn about what she likes. I think there are still a few book stores around.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      Maybe take her to a bookstore and let her pick out some books? Then you get to spend some quality time with her and learn about what she likes. I think there are still a few book stores around.
      *cough* J.R.R Tolkien *cough*
      "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
      -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I support the :
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        I wish I could. She lives in the Upper Peninsula of MI many miles away from me, and there aren't many bookstores in her neck of the woods (and I mean "woods" literally). I was hoping to send something to her via Amazon or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          *cough* J.R.R Tolkien *cough*
          Yeah, I know. I just think maybe it'll be too wordy for her. I love Tolkien's stuff, and any chance I get I've been exposing both nieces to his works via the last two Hobbit films, but, hmm, I don't know. I don't want her reading to be a chore. I only got into Tolkien when I was in High School. You think 11 is too young?

Comment

The Hobbit is easy enough. I first read most of it when I was about 10. (Got distracted by some Nancy Drew though. I was a Nancy Drew fanatic at the time.)

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              The Hobbit is easy enough. I first read most of it when I was about 10. (Got distracted by some Nancy Drew though. I was a Nancy Drew fanatic at the time.)
              Ok, that's probably a good compromise. I'll definitely put that on the list then.

Anything else you all can think of.

I was thinking of getting her some "how to draw" books. Like how to draw comic book characters or comic strip characters. The stuff I got for her little sister was like a hundred bucks worth. I know its no competition, and as humble as she is, I know she'll be more than happy with anything I get her, but I feel like I have a hundred dollar budget on this. Yeah, uncle Adrift spoils his nieces.

Comment

A kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                  A kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  LOL. That would be the hero gift right there. Unfortunately, the youngest one is allergic to pets, and trust me, they've tried just about every pet imaginable. Wait, no, that's not true, they haven't tried reptiles, but not sure how my sister-in-law would react to that.

Sorry for being so picky you all. Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far!

Comment

Chronicles of Narnia.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

A good set of books or DVDs could be decent. Or an Amazon gift card.

Or offer to buy her a new winter coat, or something along those lines. Tween growth spurts and such, plus winter.
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Chronicles of Narnia.
                        Yeah, I suppose CS Lewis is naturally the next on the list. I can't remember if they already have those books or not. I'll have to call up my brother and confirm. Personally, as a sci-fi geek, I'm a bigger fan of the Space Trilogy, but not sure that 11 year old girls would find that as thrilling as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          A good set of books or DVDs could be decent. Or an Amazon gift card.

Or offer to buy her a new winter coat, or something along those lines. Tween growth spurts and such, plus winter.
                          Hmm, new winter coat. Had not considered that. I always find gift cards so impersonal. Yeah, you get what you want, but there's something nice about unwrapping the present on your birthday that you don't get out of a gift card. But yeah, a winter jacket is definitely not a bad idea, especially when you're bumping up against Canadia.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Hmm, new winter coat. Had not considered that. I always find gift cards so impersonal. Yeah, you get what you want, but there's something nice about unwrapping the present on your birthday that you don't get out of a gift card. But yeah, a winter jacket is definitely not a bad idea, especially when you're bumping up against Canadia.
                            Take her to a mall some Saturday afternoon so that she can pick it out herself... then swing by the bookstore before you leave
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              Yeah, I suppose CS Lewis is naturally the next on the list. I can't remember if they already have those books or not. I'll have to call up my brother and confirm. Personally, as a sci-fi geek, I'm a bigger fan of the Space Trilogy, but not sure that 11 year old girls would find that as thrilling as I do.
                              Yes....I like the space trilogy myself, but when I tried that stuff at about her age, I didn't really care for it. It seemed really weird.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment