X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Tom the atheist seems a decent guy who does kind things without reference to God; he's an atheist after all. So why give credit to a deity? Tom wouldn't and nor would I.
    Because CP is neither Tom nor you. The only explanation I can imagine for your apparent lack of comprehension is that you just plain don't understand either theology or normal people.

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Tom, unlike you, evidently knows how to play nice. Why do you have to be like that?
    Tom the atheist seems a decent guy who does kind things without reference to God; he's an atheist after all. So why give credit to a deity? Tom wouldn't and nor would I.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    There are also atheists who are pleasant people. You are not one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Tom, unlike you, evidently knows how to play nice. Why do you have to be like that?

Leave a comment:

• Tassman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I know a number of people who are atheists who are pretty nice people.

One such friend heard me talking about the fact that one of our Church members who volunteers a lot at our Church will be unable to do so, because her husband has become critically ill, and has been brought home from the hospital for hospice care. He may not live more than another month or so.

This friend (we'll call him Tom) stopped by my office and made a very gracious offer. "I know Helen can't get away much from Roger, and I also know how much it means for her to be in Church..... could you tell her I'll be happy to sit with Roger any time she needs to be at Church, or wants to do her volunteer stuff?"

I've talked to Helen, and she did not immediately say no, which is a good thing. (She's quite old fashioned, and I expected a bit of pushback)

Tom told me, "if she hesitates, tell her I'll even read the Bible to him".

God is SO good.
    Actually, I think you mean 'Tom' is so good.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    An interesting aside to this... my youngest daughter is a hospice nurse, and she lives right around the corner - literally - from Roger and Helen. She has been assigned as Roger's hospice nurse. The only downside of that is that neither she nor I can share information with the other regarding Roger, except in the most general terms, due to patient confidentiality.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    cool.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    started a topic An Atheist Steps Up....

An Atheist Steps Up....

I know a number of people who are atheists who are pretty nice people.

One such friend heard me talking about the fact that one of our Church members who volunteers a lot at our Church will be unable to do so, because her husband has become critically ill, and has been brought home from the hospital for hospice care. He may not live more than another month or so.

This friend (we'll call him Tom) stopped by my office and made a very gracious offer. "I know Helen can't get away much from Roger, and I also know how much it means for her to be in Church..... could you tell her I'll be happy to sit with Roger any time she needs to be at Church, or wants to do her volunteer stuff?"

I've talked to Helen, and she did not immediately say no, which is a good thing. (She's quite old fashioned, and I expected a bit of pushback)

Tom told me, "if she hesitates, tell her I'll even read the Bible to him".

God is SO good.