An Atheist Steps Up....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Tom the atheist seems a decent guy who does kind things without reference to God; he's an atheist after all. So why give credit to a deity? Tom wouldn't and nor would I.
    Because apparently for believers all the credit goes to God, Toms act of kindness wasn't of his own free will, he was just a tool used to fulfill Gods purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      There's times to argue against religious belief. When those beliefs are providing comfort to someone with a dying spouse ... not so much.

I may be a jerk, but I'm not a ... yeah, that line from Seth to Katie at the end of From Dusk Till Dawn.
      And here on tweb is the time and place. Tass's comments were in response to CP's giving credit to God for Toms act of kindness, not directed at the woman or her sick husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Tom the atheist seems a decent guy who does kind things without reference to God; he's an atheist after all. So why give credit to a deity? Tom wouldn't and nor would I.
        Little Old Lady and the Atheist

There was a little old lady who would come out every morning on the steps of her front porch, raise her arms to the sky and shout, "Praise the Lord!"

Well, one day an atheist moved into the house next door. Over time, he became irritated at the little old lady. So every morning he would step out onto his front porch and yell after her, "There is no God!"

Time passes with the two of them carrying on this way every day. Then one morning in the middle of winter, the little old lady stepped onto her front porch and shouted, "Praise the Lord! Lord, I have no food and I am hungry. Please provide for me, oh Lord!"

The next morning she stepped onto her porch and there were two huge bags of groceries sitting there. "Praise the Lord!" she cried out. "He has provided groceries for me!" The atheist jumped out of the hedges and shouted, "There is no Lord. I bought those groceries!" The little old lady threw her arms into the air and shouted, "Praise the Lord! He has provided me with groceries and He made the devil pay for them!"

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Because apparently for believers all the credit goes to God, Toms act of kindness wasn't of his own free will, he was just a tool used to fulfill Gods purposes.
          Romans 8:28
          And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

And, perhaps God is using this situation to convince Tom that he exists. Someday, he might even convince you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Tom is an interesting case. Although he claims (claimed?) to be an atheist, he seems to really enjoy being around me. I met him through my position as Police Chaplain, and he was my self-appointed antagonist. He's a retired fireman, now volunteering as a reserve police officer. He loves needling me about my "religion", but he keeps hanging around me, and has taken a very active role in a mission project we're doing for a retired couple needing some construction.

He simply has a heart to serve.
            He's just hanging around for the chance to deconvert ya. Don't listen to him, listen to me. I've got cookies.

Comment

And when Tom dies God will annihilate or eternally tortue him for his non belief. Its no wonder he doesn't believe in such a God!
              Not if he becomes a Christian!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now, Jimmy is a classic example of a profoundly dumb and UNKIND atheist.... Tom's a good guy, and I'm thankful for his assistance with a number of our projects around our Church. He just loves to help. And I praise God for that, while thanking Tom for all he (Tom) does.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jimmy, I would really appreciate it if you would stop breathing your dragon breath on this thread. The REASON Tom is involved with our Church's ministry is because, among other things, I treated him as a friend, and he really enjoys being around me. You don't, so please go poop on somebody else's thread, OK?

Comment

And here on tweb is the time and place. Tass's comments were in response to CP's giving credit to God for Toms act of kindness, not directed at the woman or her sick husband.
                    I agree with Tass's comments, and I agree TWeb is the place to make them, but I don't agree this is the thread to do it in.

CP's too close to this one.

Comment

I agree with Tass's comments, and I agree TWeb is the place to make them, but I don't agree this is the thread to do it in.

CP's too close to this one.
                      Well, yeah, but Jimmy really overshoots the runway on this... here's what he said...
                      Originally posted by JimL
                      A) Not ALL the credit goes to God, which should be obvious from the fact that I'm bragging on Tom, and consider him a friend
                      2) Nobody said, nor even HINTED, that Tom's acts of kindness are not of his own free will -- I think pretty much anybody can choose to do good things
                      C) I never said, nor implied, that Tom was "just a tool" used to fulfill God's purpose -- that really diminishes Tom's role in this

It's such a goofy rant that it doesn't even come close to hurting my feelings -- it just exposes Jimmy for the angry hateful bigot he is. In fact, it's this kind of stuff that makes the average Christian think of somebody like Jimmy when somebody mentions "atheist", rather than a guy like Tom.

Comment

That's the third time you quoted that post, CP. Do you want him responding here, or not?

Comment

That's the third time you quoted that post, CP. Do you want him responding here, or not?
                          Excellent point!

Comment

He's just hanging around for the chance to deconvert ya. Don't listen to him, listen to me. I've got cookies.
                            If you were to ever get an official Tweb smiley...

Lao.gif

Lao. the Devil's Baker.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because apparently for believers all the credit goes to God
                              Amen!
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Well, yeah, but Jimmy really overshoots the runway on this...
                                Normal for Tass and Jimmy. Time to let them go.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment