Demands to unfriend on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demands to unfriend on Facebook

On social media, occasionally you will see people post such things such as "if you believe X, unfriend me". Sometimes it's just blowing off steam, but how do you react?

Here's what provoked this: One person I used to be friends with posted a long rant about if you believe any sorts of things, unfriend me, but the main thing was if you oppose homosexuality. S/he (I don't even know how to identify the person, considering one of the stipulations was if you identify them by their biological gender) said that if you believed any of these things, you were genuinely putting their life in danger because they were not in a safe place. (I'm not going to argue with somebody so deeply mentally ill and who has gone through such a nightmarishly abusive upbringing, but I have a hard time understanding that, even if somebody genuinely does struggle so deeply.)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

If they can't deal with my occasional posts and comments, they can un-friend me themselves.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      S/he (I don't even know how to identify the person, considering one of the stipulations was if you identify them by their biological gender)
      I recommend "it" or "thingy".

as for how to respond, I generally tend to ignore those "Pay Attention To Me" type of rants. If you can't handle me disagreeing with you on an issue, you can go ahead and unfriend me, but don't make it my problem that you can't handle someone daring to have a different belief.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post

as for how to respond, I generally tend to ignore those "Pay Attention To Me" type of rants. If you can't handle me disagreeing with you on an issue, you can go ahead and unfriend me, but don't make it my problem that you can't handle someone daring to have a different belief.
        That's a good point; it seems to be lazily throwing the onus on the other person.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That's a good point; it seems to be lazily throwing the onus on the other person.
          Exactly. If you are expressing views I really disagree with then I may quietly unfriend you (and personally the closest I've come is blocking an old school friend's posts from coming up in my news feed because I was sick of all the profanity they contained). But in doing that type of "Look At Me" one is "lazily throwing the onus on the other person" while at the same time trying to appear like a self righteous Edited by a Moderator
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I won't un-friend a person for disagreeing with me, but if they try to make too much drama out of it, I might... unless I find the drama amusing.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Lol, you people use facebook.

Comment

On social media, occasionally you will see people post such things such as "if you believe X, unfriend me". Sometimes it's just blowing off steam, but how do you react?
                I would suggest posting a mocking reply to draw attention to her silliness.

I don't even know how to identify the person, considering one of the stipulations was if you identify them by their biological gender

Comment

S/he (I don't even know how to identify the person, considering one of the stipulations was if you identify them by their biological gender) said ...
                  They.

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  ... while at the same time trying to appear like a self righteous Edited by a Moderator
                  How ironic.

If you remove the edit, it's no longer a veiled profanity. So you must either ding yourself, or remove it.

So, obviously, there's only one solution.

Ban Trout.

Comment

Pretend the gender unknown person doesn't exist. The resulting fireworks will be amusing.

Oh wait, you're not Spart.

Seriously, ignore it altogether - when you don't feed the monster it eventually wanders away.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Heh. My own cousin unfriended and blocked me because she is a raving lunatic liberal and she couldn't stand me defending Bush and saying Obama was ruining the country.

She even unfriended her own sister!

I just thought it was funny. If someone doesn't want me to be their friend on facebook, then fine, unfriend me. It doesn't bother me in the least. I sure won't cry about it or let it keep me awake at night.

Comment

Who are you again?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Here's what provoked this: One person I used to be friends with posted a long rant about if you believe any sorts of things, unfriend me, but the main thing was if you oppose homosexuality. S/he (I don't even know how to identify the person, considering one of the stipulations was if you identify them by their biological gender) said that if you believed any of these things, you were genuinely putting their life in danger because they were not in a safe place. (I'm not going to argue with somebody so deeply mentally ill and who has gone through such a nightmarishly abusive upbringing, but I have a hard time understanding that, even if somebody genuinely does struggle so deeply.)
                          I find facebook even less conducive to civil discussion on controversial topics than tweb (), and only barely above youtube, so I rarely post or comment anything serious.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment