Sleeping only 4 hours at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping only 4 hours at a time

For a little over a week now, I've only been able to get to sleep for four-hour intervals. It doesn't seem to matter how tired I am when I go to bed; I'll still wake up around the four-hour mark.

Has anyone else gone through a phase like this, and if so, how long did it last?

I have the same problem as you, but rather only two hours at a time....
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

I have always been a light sleeper my whole adult life. I generally get 2-4 hours of sleep, wake up, go back to sleep... a few times a night.

Try some melatonin. It helps me a little. Or maybe you just need a new bed or mattress.

Comment

Do you awaken feeling a need to go to the bathroom?
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Don't worry Ivo. It is just your reptillian side asserting itself. It is part of learning to control other human's minds when you become overlord.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            Do you awaken feeling a need to go to the bathroom?
            Not really. I just wake up. I started school again this past week, so I wonder if that could be a factor in messing with my internal clock.

Although I think John's "reptillian" suggestion is equally plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
              Not really. I just wake up. I started school again this past week, so I wonder if that could be a factor in messing with my internal clock.

Although I think John's "reptillian" suggestion is equally plausible.
              us aliens have to stick together. These Earthlings are so bigoted against being subjugated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                us aliens have to stick together. These Earthlings are so bigoted against being subjugated.
                My alternate theory is that my sleep issue is the result of a curse I incurred from reading the "witchwind" blog you linked to in your "insanely radical feminism" post. In which case, it's really YOUR fault

Comment

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
                  My alternate theory is that my sleep issue is the result of a curse I incurred from reading the "witchwind" blog you linked to in your "insanely radical feminism" post. In which case, it's really YOUR fault
                  oops.

Comment

I went through such a phase once. I called it "college".
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

4 hours? You lucky little devil, you.

Comment

Oddly enough, that actually used to be considered normal, before street lights became commonplace. People called it "first sleep" and "second sleep". There were even treatises written about how to efficiently use the time between the two nightly sleep sessions, with some people suggesting that it was the best time to study. It was mentioned in stories as a thing that everyone did, like it wasn't out of the ordinary at all. It has only been in modern times that the idea developed that you should get all your sleep in one go. Look up "polyphasic sleep" for a modern take on it.

Here is a Wikipedia article on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep
                        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Some people function just fine on 4 hours of sleep a night. I know an attorney whose whole family more or less does that. IIRC John Wesley also typically slept only 3 or 4 hours a night. St. Silouan the Athonite would only sleep an hour or two a night, and that while sitting on a stool.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ivo, do you go back to sleep at all that same night after waking up?
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Roger Ekirch, the historian cited in Quanta' s link, wrote a major work on segmented sleep that many other historians and doctors are using. I thought about buying it, but reviews say it's not easy reading.

Here it is...Roger Ekirch, “At Day’s Close: Night in Times Past”
                              Last edited by DesertBerean; 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment