Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter project: a new kind of format for the Bible: Bibliotheca

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...25/bibliotheca

Initially the project initiator was hoping to collect near 40 thousand $, but now hopes to get $1 million. I doubt it's worthwhile now to contribute, but maybe my faith is little!
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

I saw this on Facebook. He's misinformed about some things (eg, thinking that there were no single volume bibles until the Middle Ages) and the ASV text that he's working from is not based on better original language manuscripts, and some of the changes he's making (eg, getting rid of thee and thou distinctions is making the text less literal), but I really like the idea of eliminating chapter and verse numbers and all the cross-references common to study bibles. That will help make the text more like the originals and more like other types of literature that we are accustomed to read. I prefer to read the text without the addition of later chapter and verse numbers and modern punctuation.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

"Better original language manuscripts"? Oh, you mean Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, etc. Good grief, I thought the ASV was supposed to be pretty good there. What English version do you favor?
      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        "Better original language manuscripts"? Oh, you mean Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, etc. Good grief, I thought the ASV was supposed to be pretty good there. What English version do you favor?
        I don't really have a preference. When I was younger, I always liked the English of the Jerusalem Bible (JRR Tolkein was on the editorial committee), but it is not very literal. If I want to scan something very quickly or don't have time to do my own translation and want to provide one quickly for others, I probably use the NRSV most frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          I don't really have a preference. When I was younger, I always liked the English of the Jerusalem Bible (JRR Tolkein was on the editorial committee), but it is not very literal. If I want to scan something very quickly or don't have time to do my own translation and want to provide one quickly for others, I probably use the NRSV most frequently.
          It doesn't have a lot of pictures.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It doesn't have a lot of pictures.
            I spent over an in the book store comparing children's Bibles before I bought the first one for my youngest son. It had lots of pictures! He read that Bible probably 50 times.

Comment