The Official 2014 World Cup Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official 2014 World Cup Discussion Thread

So I understand that some obscure soccer/feetball* tournament is starting today. I myself pay little attention to the sport, which I find to essentially be field hockey without sticks, but as the majority of the world apparently is fascinated by this odd sport, I thought it'd be prudent to create a thread specifically for those odd people who enjoy it. Discuss.

*Yes, feetball. "Football" is the sport that prominently features an oblong mass of leather and polyurethane, requires helmets that never do enough to prevent serious concussions, and blissfully ignores the metric system in favor of units such as yards and inches. The sport that features a spherical mass of white-and-black synthetic leather and generally forbids the use of hands (AKA the very appendage that helped this species evolve separately from its simian ancestors) is called "soccer," but since European blowhards refuse to accept this lexicological fact, I hereby dub it "feetball" so that it may be distinguished from football.

The cultural snobbery is certainly breath-taking today, isn't it? What a perfect mood for the World Cup.
    Last edited by fm93; 06-12-2014, 01:51 PM.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

I'm not really much of a fan of the sport but I do enjoy watching the World Cup every four years. I just find it cool to see all the different countries together and all the energy in the crowds. And maybe one of these years the US will do something in it.

I will say that soccer can be fun to watch in person. My brother has season tickets to a local professional team and he took me to one of their playoff games a couple years ago and it was actually a lot of fun.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The goal scored by the US against Algeria in extra time was astounding!!
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        The goal scored by the US against Algeria in extra time was astounding!!
        Yes it was.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I don't like any sport where you can't use your hands.

Full-contact soccer would be much more interesting - with the inclusion of plays, and a line of scrimmage, and helmets and pads, downs, times-out, a ball that's conducive to being thrown, and...

Hey, waitaminnit!

K54

Comment

GOAL!!!!!

Roy
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
              So I understand that some obscure soccer/feetball* tournament is starting today. I myself pay little attention to the sport, which I find to essentially be field hockey without sticks, but as the majority of the world apparently is fascinated by this odd sport, I thought it'd be prudent to create a thread specifically for those odd people who enjoy it. Discuss.

*Yes, feetball. "Football" is the sport that prominently features an oblong mass of leather and polyurethane, requires helmets that never do enough to prevent serious concussions, and blissfully ignores the metric system in favor of units such as yards and inches. The sport that features a spherical mass of white-and-black synthetic leather and generally forbids the use of hands (AKA the very appendage that helped this species evolve separately from its simian ancestors) is called "soccer," but since European blowhards refuse to accept this lexicological fact, I hereby dub it "feetball" so that it may be distinguished from football.

The cultural snobbery is certainly breath-taking today, isn't it? What a perfect mood for the World Cup.
              Right, let's get one thing clear. A game where you barely touch the ball with your feet does not deserve to be called football. This is not even up for debate.

End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                Right, let's get one thing clear. A game where you barely touch the ball with your feet does not deserve to be called football. This is not even up for debate.
                Excluding turnovers, every drive begins with a foot striking the ball on the kickoff and ends with a foot striking the ball on a punt, field goal or extra point kick. The game is enveloped between foot strikes.
                Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Football/soccer is a sport that I feel like I should enjoy, but...darnit, I just don't seem to care about sports in general. Maybe partly because I'm just so bad at playing them myself.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Excluding turnovers, every drive begins with a foot striking the ball on the kickoff and ends with a foot striking the ball on a punt, field goal or extra point kick. The game is enveloped between foot strikes.
                    Right, and compared to soccer, that still qualifies as barely touching the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                      I don't like any sport where you can't use your hands.

Full-contact soccer would be much more interesting - with the inclusion of plays, and a line of scrimmage, and helmets and pads, downs, times-out, a ball that's conducive to being thrown, and...

Hey, waitaminnit!

K54
                      They do use their hands. The goalie for one, and the throw in.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Right, and compared to soccer, that still qualifies as barely touching the ball.
                        That's why it's called football and not feetball, as soccer should be called.

Comment

*cough* 2 point conversion *cough*
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            They do use their hands. The goalie for one, and the throw in.
                            They use their hands to grasp their legs faking injuries trying to draw penalties for imaginary fouls[1]

This just has to be a parody

1. Rumor has that one in a hundred of these is the result of an actual injury

Okay. This one IS real.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment