Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Well...I just checked the Amtrak site. On the East coast, the only Amtrak that goes into Canada is the Maple Leaf, which stops at Toronto from NYC. Not sure where I got my notion that there was a way through Wisconsin as well. Over here on the West coast it's the train from Seattle to Vancouver BC.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We LOVED our nice big comfy seats, and the fact that you could get up and walk around at any time. We walked several cars forward to the dining car, and sat there and ate, still watching the scenery through the really big windows.
    Yes. That. Plus the views from the sightseer car.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I know --- it was only "that far" on the map!
    Maybe some day.......

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    And then you didn't head a little northeast and come and visit me.

I know --- it was only "that far" on the map!

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Our train went all the way into Vancouver, and pulled into a big fenced in area, where we got out and went through customs.

And then you didn't head a little northeast and come and visit me.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Does Amtrak stop at the Canadian border?
    Our train went all the way into Vancouver, and pulled into a big fenced in area, where we got out and went through customs.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I like trains and at this point I'd prefer them over planes. Planes hurt my ears plus they aren't so easy anymore.
    We LOVED our nice big comfy seats, and the fact that you could get up and walk around at any time. We walked several cars forward to the dining car, and sat there and ate, still watching the scenery through the really big windows.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Yes. If we want to go into Canada, we switch over to the VIA. I believe this is done at the Washington state border here, and at the Maine and Wisconsin borders, but not sure about those last two. Naturally one must have a passport.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Does Amtrak stop at the Canadian border?

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I like trains and at this point I'd prefer them over planes. Planes hurt my ears plus they aren't so easy anymore.
    If only I could take a train from Alaska.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Also called "bustitute". LOL.

Took Amtrak for a round trip between Barstow and Tacoma. Southwest Chief coach for the leg between Barstow and LA Union Station, and sleeper car on the Coast Starlight for the LA/Tacoma leg. Rooms really are the only way to go on long trips. The Starlight has a unique car available only for sleeper guests.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    One time the train was so far behind that they just sent us back from St. Louis in a bus instead. Not quite the same.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I remember riding the "real trains" before Amtrak. I even worked as a Red Cap/janitor during a couple summers when I was in college. Back in the early 60s.
    neat.

I have rode trains in europe but not over here.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    I remember riding the "real trains" before Amtrak. I even worked as a Red Cap/janitor during a couple summers when I was in college. Back in the early 60s.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Yes Several times. After a bad experience in Coach the extra 15 for Business Class was well worth it for the cleanliness. Loved it!

Leave a comment: