Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak

Have you ever ridden it?

I have only a few times, and always had good experiences. We once took a youth group of 80 kids on an Amtrak ride to a place about 80 miles away, then rode our Church buses home. For MOST of those kids, it will be the only time in their life they have ever ridden a train.

Most recently, Mrs. CP and I flew to Seattle, took Amtrak up to Vancouver, then took a tour bus back to Seattle, before flying back home (with lots of stops in between)

The Amtrak ride was VERY nice --- sitting back with a cup of tea, watching the scenery roll by, along the Pacific Coast in some areas, through farms and small towns....

We were in the rear car, so no engine noise, only the very relaxing "clackety clack" of the wheels on the track, and that was pretty smooth and quiet for most of the route.

I'd really like to do a sleeper car ride some day, but that defeats the purpose of "seeing the scenery".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Several times, growing up. We took it all the way to Arizona one summer (and there's some amazing scenery along the way), and all the way to Washington DC another summer. We also would take a yearly spring break Amtrak trip to St. Louis. It's not ideal if you're in a hurry because it would seem the train always ran several hours behind (because they give freight trains first priority of the tracks)... but it's really fun.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes Several times. After a bad experience in Coach the extra 15 for Business Class was well worth it for the cleanliness. Loved it!
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I remember riding the "real trains" before Amtrak. I even worked as a Red Cap/janitor during a couple summers when I was in college. Back in the early 60s.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I remember riding the "real trains" before Amtrak. I even worked as a Red Cap/janitor during a couple summers when I was in college. Back in the early 60s.
          neat.

I have rode trains in europe but not over here.

Comment

One time the train was so far behind that they just sent us back from St. Louis in a bus instead. Not quite the same.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Also called "bustitute". LOL.

Took Amtrak for a round trip between Barstow and Tacoma. Southwest Chief coach for the leg between Barstow and LA Union Station, and sleeper car on the Coast Starlight for the LA/Tacoma leg. Rooms really are the only way to go on long trips. The Starlight has a unique car available only for sleeper guests.

I like trains and at this point I'd prefer them over planes. Planes hurt my ears plus they aren't so easy anymore.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                I like trains and at this point I'd prefer them over planes. Planes hurt my ears plus they aren't so easy anymore.
                If only I could take a train from Alaska.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Does Amtrak stop at the Canadian border?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yes. If we want to go into Canada, we switch over to the VIA. I believe this is done at the Washington state border here, and at the Maine and Wisconsin borders, but not sure about those last two. Naturally one must have a passport.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      We LOVED our nice big comfy seats, and the fact that you could get up and walk around at any time. We walked several cars forward to the dining car, and sat there and ate, still watching the scenery through the really big windows.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Does Amtrak stop at the Canadian border?
                        Our train went all the way into Vancouver, and pulled into a big fenced in area, where we got out and went through customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Our train went all the way into Vancouver, and pulled into a big fenced in area, where we got out and went through customs.

And then you didn't head a little northeast and come and visit me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            And then you didn't head a little northeast and come and visit me.

I know --- it was only "that far" on the map!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I know --- it was only "that far" on the map!
                              Maybe some day.......

Comment