Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Several times, growing up. We took it all the way to Arizona one summer (and there's some amazing scenery along the way), and all the way to Washington DC another summer. We also would take a yearly spring break Amtrak trip to St. Louis. It's not ideal if you're in a hurry because it would seem the train always ran several hours behind (because they give freight trains first priority of the tracks)... but it's really fun.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    started a topic Amtrak

Amtrak

Have you ever ridden it?

I have only a few times, and always had good experiences. We once took a youth group of 80 kids on an Amtrak ride to a place about 80 miles away, then rode our Church buses home. For MOST of those kids, it will be the only time in their life they have ever ridden a train.

Most recently, Mrs. CP and I flew to Seattle, took Amtrak up to Vancouver, then took a tour bus back to Seattle, before flying back home (with lots of stops in between)

The Amtrak ride was VERY nice --- sitting back with a cup of tea, watching the scenery roll by, along the Pacific Coast in some areas, through farms and small towns....

We were in the rear car, so no engine noise, only the very relaxing "clackety clack" of the wheels on the track, and that was pretty smooth and quiet for most of the route.

I'd really like to do a sleeper car ride some day, but that defeats the purpose of "seeing the scenery".