What makes an interesting villian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes an interesting villian?

Why are some villains so memorable? I honestly enjoy talking about characters and what drives them. If anyone is interested in a thread going over some of the greatest villains in fiction let me know.813981-4796503-img211.jpg
    sigpic

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    Why are some villains so memorable? I honestly enjoy talking about characters and what drives them. If anyone is interested in a thread going over some of the greatest villains in fiction let me know.[ATTACH=CONFIG]43163[/ATTACH]
    Many actors have said that they prefer the role of villain to that of hero because the latter are often pretty 2-dimensional characters whereas the former are often complex characters.
    Last edited by rogue06; 03-07-2020, 09:49 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Many actors have said that they prefer the role of villian to that of hero because the latter are often pretty 2-dimensional characters whereas the former are often complex characters.
      That is true. It is also interesting to note that there are examples of actors who play villains being fairly nice folks in their lives. The actor for Jason Vorhees comes to mind.
      sigpic

Comment

So who can tell me who the fellow in the picture is? I know who it is but I want to see if you know.
        sigpic

Comment

I have plenty of characters I would like to talk about.
          sigpic

Comment

So who can tell me who the fellow in the picture is? I know who it is but I want to see if you know.
            Someone you've referenced before but man I'm having a devil of a time remembering who.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Someone you've referenced before but man I'm having a devil of a time remembering who.
              You intend your pins. I admire that.
              sigpic

Comment

So seeing as you know who he is sparko would you like to kick off this thread by talking about him with me?
                sigpic

Comment

Before there was Griffith before there were parasytes there was a writer named Go Nagai who wanted to write a story about the dangers of war paranoia and misunderstanding.

He would write many stories but Devilman is perhaps his most influential work. A horror series that asks you what separates humans from monsters can humans be monsters and can a monstrous human still be considered human.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you guys have recommendations I will hear them.
                    sigpic

Comment

Before there was Griffith before there were parasytes there was a writer named Go Nagai who wanted to write a story about the dangers of war paranoia and misunderstanding.

He would write many stories but Devilman is perhaps his most influential work. A horror series that asks you what separates humans from monsters can humans be monsters and can a monstrous human still be considered human.
                      Anime is chock full of what are essentially anti-heroes with my favorite probably being Alacard from Hellsing.

Comment

If you guys have recommendations I will hear them.
                        Anime is chock full of what are essentially anti-heroes with my favorite probably being Alacard from Hellsing.
                        Alucard is a fascinating character. He manages to be a nigh unstoppable force of nature while also being as Dr Helsing put it of immature mind. Alucard is amused where others would be horrified. He makes advances toward his both because Integra is one of the few people who understands that you can tell him no.

One has to wonder how much weight their is in Anderson's statement that he became a monster so he would not have to cry.
                        sigpic

Comment

For two more very different examples...

Mugen from Samurai Champloo who is essentially a petty criminal and all around jerk -- as well as master swordsman who developed his own extremely unorthodox style.

Arsène Lupin III from Lupin III who is a brilliant, cocky and lecherous master thief who tries to come across as suave but isn't.

Comment

I want to discuss this more but I am getting over being sick.
                            sigpic

Comment

Here's another

Remy from Black Lagoon who is a short-tempered, nihilistic homicidal maniac who interestingly becomes increasingly more like Rock, the caring diplomatic "salaryman" betrayed by his company whereas he slowly becomes more like her. They had a great discussion concerning their philosophies while aboard a sunken Nazi U Boat.

I really like this anime although it can get really dark and troubling at times -- especially the episode with the twin children.

Comment