Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spooky month. Let's talk about spooky stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    I figured out how to use that stuff just being around it. It really is not that bad.
    No, but it is fun to watch!

Let's see a cursive sample...

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Originally posted by Faber View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40191[/ATTACH]
    I figured out how to use that stuff just being around it. It really is not that bad.

Leave a comment:

• Faber
    replied
    millennial.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    As for zombie crabs... Or maybe body snatchers? Mind controlled slave?

It looks like the parasite here is the female larval form of the Sacculina barnacle that infects a crab and completely takes over even forcing male crabs to change physically to resemble a female crab and release hormones so it behaves more like a female -- even to the point of doing female mating dances

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I do know of this. It is pretty spooky.

I know of a similiar parasite that makes zombie crabs.
    I just find it mind boggling how a fungus -- A FUNGUS -- is capable of causing such a very specific behavior. And it isn't just ants but other insects as well. And FWIU they aren't all closely related types.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Better first pix:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40189[/ATTACH]
    It enbiggens!
    I do know of this. It is pretty spooky.

I know of a similiar parasite that makes zombie crabs.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    How about "zombie ants"? The fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis hijacks the infected ant's nervous system causing it to climb up a plant, sink their mandibles into a leaf or twig and wait to die while the fungi feasts on their bodies. Eventually, a fungal stalk shoots out of the ant's head and releases spores that rain down and infect more ants below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40187[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]40188[/ATTACH]

Pleasant dreams
    Better first pix:

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    You know what I find spooky? Ants. Several thousands of species. They have a collective population in the trillions. They wage wars that leave millions dead. They harvest. They cultivate livestock. Some species can conduct electricity. Bullet ants rank among the most painful insect bites in the world.

I find ants spooky.
    How about "zombie ants"? The fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis hijacks the infected ant's nervous system causing it to climb up a plant, sink their mandibles into a leaf or twig and wait to die while the fungi feasts on their bodies. Eventually, a fungal stalk shoots out of the ant's head and releases spores that rain down and infect more ants below.

Pleasant dreams

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Every time I want to listen to something specific on the radio my AC fan automatically comes on. Every. Time.
    Creepy.

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Every time I want to listen to something specific on the radio my AC fan automatically comes on. Every. Time.

Leave a comment:

• Faber
    replied
    You know what I find spooky? Ants. Several thousands of species. They have a collective population in the trillions. They wage wars that leave millions dead. They harvest. They cultivate livestock. Some species can conduct electricity. Bullet ants rank among the most painful insect bites in the world.

I find ants spooky.
    You would love this...
    leninghen.jpg

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Bacteriophages. They survive by injecting their DNA into bacteria destroying them as new bacteriophages break out. They could be used to revolutionize medicine and have proven effective in treating a great many diseases.

Still think about it. You have bacteria that cause some of the worst ailments known to man and these things have spent their existence adapting and speciating to not only survive but hunt these bacteria.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    You know what scares me? I mean, something truly terrifying? Prepare yourself...

Boy bands
    That doesnt sound spooky as much as agitating.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    You know what scares me? I mean, something truly terrifying? Prepare yourself...

Boy bands
    Last edited by Zymologist; 10-11-2019, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment: