What do you collect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you collect?

I did a thread like this a few years ago, but it's been a while so let's do it again. What do you collect?

Metal CDs for me, and to a lesser extent strange fiction. Strange as in obscure or actually strange like Lovecraft, or even better would be both (e.g., William Sloane's two novels).
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Grey hair, but not on purpose.

Knives.

Bibles - not always intentionally, but I seem to collect quite a few.

Guns, but nowhere near the collection that some people have, and if the gun grabbers are reading, I gave them all away.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another great example of both strange and obscure would be Fritz Lieber's The Dealings of Daniel Kesserich.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Stamps.

Card making supplies.

And I have a small collection of china and other items with violets on them.

Also, dust.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I used to collect chess books but I've probably sold most of mine by now.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I have a haphazard collection of bottle caps and small change. I have a small collection of dragon figurines. I have way too many books, but those are mostly too diverse to be called a collection.

I figure in the next decade or two most of what I'll be collecting is memories.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              ...I have way too many books, but those are mostly too diverse to be called a collection.
              That's why you can use the word "eclectic".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I also had a collection of state road maps going. I wanted to get all 50, but several of them accidentally got thrown away in a move, so I just stopped.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I also had a collection of state road maps going. I wanted to get all 50, but several of them accidentally got thrown away in a move, so I just stopped.
                  Did you happen to have any of the bootleg maps? Can't remember the publisher, but they were sued by one of the biggies (Rand McNally?) for copying -- the story was that Rand McNally would include a tiny out-of-the-way town that didn't actually exist, so any other publisher that included that town would be exposed as copying.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Did you happen to have any of the bootleg maps? Can't remember the publisher, but they were sued by one of the biggies (Rand McNally?) for copying -- the story was that Rand McNally would include a tiny out-of-the-way town that didn't actually exist, so any other publisher that included that town would be exposed as copying.
                    I don't think so. But I've heard about that. I think they were called "paper towns" because they only existed on paper?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I don't think so. But I've heard about that. I think they were called "paper towns" because they only existed on paper?
                      Sounds right.... if I recall, one of my Uncles had such a map, and it was considered quite valuable by map collectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        The idea of what are now called "copyright traps" in documents and maps has been around for quite some time. One of the more famous somewhat recent incidents involves Exxon/Esso producing a map that included an entirely fictitious town of "Agloe, New York" and years later Rand McNally fell into the trap. Or did they? The story is a bit convoluted.

Anywho... Usually most traps are far more subtle like transposing two numbers on a mountain's altitude. And dictionaries have been known to put their own traps into the texts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The obvious question is whether Google Maps intentionally introduces such errors. It's trivially easy to establish that there are errors on Google Maps; some of them not particularly innocent. Right before moving, I was exploring my new town and noted that there was a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the same bus line that goes by our new address. Obviously I was happy about this... until I got here and found that the "Wal-Mart" was in the middle of a residential neighborhood for college students. It seems some kid uploaded it. I reported it 5-6 times as inaccurate, and it eventually got removed weeks later.

Comment

I am building a record collection. I also like books. I can take a picture if you want.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I did a thread like this a few years ago, but it's been a while so let's do it again. What do you collect?

Social Security.

Comment