Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rice. Because when you dont have a job yet food can get expensive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Wednesday has been pizza night here for a long time. But lately MelMak's work schedule has been changing so he occasionally has Tuesday off instead of Wednesday. Change is hard!
    Tuesday is for Tacos.

Comment

Pfft. Still not homemade crust.

Sometimes we have a crust from the store, too. But not as good as the homemade ones.
      I have never tried making my own crust. seems like too much work and mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I have never tried making my own crust. seems like too much work and mess.
        Shoulda had Deb coach you. She was a redneck genius who could make anything she taught ya feel easy. But I'll try to channel ...

• Put a cup of warm water, a teaspoon of sugar, and a teaspoon/packet of yeast into a glass and stir. The measurements aren't that critical. Wait 5 or 10 minutes ...

If it foams up, it's "proofed" — the yeast is alive and kicking.

• Dump the glass of proofed yeast into the middle of three cups of flour, with a teaspoon of salt mixed in, then mix it all up with your fingers, and let it rest for a few minutes.

You don't have to do anything more, just dump it into the fridge for "no knead" dough. Take it back out the next day, or sometime during the next week. Otherwise, you have to knead it, which is best attempted with your webcam on while Deb gives pointers.

Can't help you there, but it's not that tough, even the first time. You've got a cutting board, right? Do it on there.

It's really not that messy. Wash off the board and the mixing bowl, and you're gtg.

Comment

^^ The choice of flour really does make a difference, but if you're not that particular, like me, anything will do ... except the self-rising stuff, which is purely nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
            Shoulda had Deb coach you. She was a redneck genius who could make anything she taught ya feel easy. But I'll try to channel ...

• Put a cup of warm water, a teaspoon of sugar, and a teaspoon/packet of yeast into a glass and stir. The measurements aren't that critical. Wait 5 or 10 minutes ...

If it foams up, it's "proofed" — the yeast is alive and kicking.

• Dump the glass of proofed yeast into the middle of three cups of flour, with a teaspoon of salt mixed in, then mix it all up with your fingers, and let it rest for a few minutes.

You don't have to do anything more, just dump it into the fridge for "no knead" dough. Take it back out the next day, or sometime during the next week. Otherwise, you have to knead it, which is best attempted with your webcam on while Deb gives pointers.

Can't help you there, but it's not that tough, even the first time. You've got a cutting board, right? Do it on there.

It's really not that messy. Wash off the board and the mixing bowl, and you're gtg.
            I have an old bread machine that I don't use any more. I guess I could do it in that.

Comment

MelMak uses quick-rise yeast that you don't need to dump into water, I think you just mix it into the flour. And he uses our stand mixer with the dough hook instead of kneading.

Sparky could likely just use his regular hook........................
              Last edited by mossrose; 09-23-2019, 12:54 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

First time I made my own bread, I had Deb (aka Crow here) on the messenger to help me out. I've still got a bread pan she sent me (with bread in it, as part of a care package after Katrina). For pizza dough, it's easy enough to just let it rise in the fridge overnight, or even ... I haven't done this, but it was standard at Giordano's, an upscale pizza joint I worked as an undergrad ... put whole sheaves of loaves on sheets into the fridge.
                Yes, you can refrigerate bread dough, and in fact you will probably find that it will give you better, tastier results, because the yeast has more time to do its work. Any bread baker worth his salt (flour?) will tell you that a slow, cold rise is better than a fast, warm one.

You should refrigerate the dough immediately after mixing, not after a rise. Depending on the amount of yeast in your recipe, this can be for a few hours or even overnight. Allow the dough to warm up a little before baking.

After mixing should be read as after kneading, I'm thinking.
                When I worked at a pizza place, that's how we handled our dough. It was made at one facility that made dough for all stores in our area, rolled into balls portioned for the different sizes of crust, placed in trays and shipped in a refrigerated truck to the stores every other day. At the beginning of each day, we'd take out of the fridge only as many trays as we needed to get through the lunch rush, and then later take out what we needed to get through dinner. The dough pretty much rose in the fridge only, just sitting out long enough to come up to room temperature before it was used. It would sit in the fridge for at least a day or two before being used. I have to admit, our crust was a lot better than the competition.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  When I worked at a pizza place, that's how we handled our dough. It was made at one facility that made dough for all stores in our area, rolled into balls portioned for the different sizes of crust, placed in trays and shipped in a refrigerated truck to the stores every other day. At the beginning of each day, we'd take out of the fridge only as many trays as we needed to get through the lunch rush, and then later take out what we needed to get through dinner. The dough pretty much rose in the fridge only, just sitting out long enough to come up to room temperature before it was used. It would sit in the fridge for at least a day or two before being used. I have to admit, our crust was a lot better than the competition.
                  Was it Papa Johns?

I love their crust, and I have been looking for someone who works there to tell me their recipe. I have seen some copycat recipes online but I they all seem different. If I had that recipe I would be making my own crust for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Was it Papa Johns?

I love their crust, and I have been looking for someone who works there to tell me their recipe. I have seen some copycat recipes online but I they all seem different. If I had that recipe I would be making my own crust for sure.
                    Nope. Domino's. And I didn't work in the facility that made the dough, I only worked in the stores so I have no idea how the dough is made. Sorry. Papa John's may have a similar setup for their dough too, so someone who works in their stores might not know either.
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

MelMak uses quick-rise yeast that you don't need to dump into water, I think you just mix it into the flour.
                      Deb always said quick-rise was a scam. There's no difference. "Quick-rise" packets just use more yeast to get a faster start. But leaving less yeast in sugar water does the same thing. Those yeasties, they breed!

Putting it into water is for making sure your yeast is still good, and there's no substitute for "knowing" it's good from seeing it foam. And if you let it foam more, it'll quicken the rise regardless.

And he uses our stand mixer with the dough hook instead of kneading.
                      But, but ... kneading is fun!

Sparky could likely just use his regular hook........................
                      Or pull it off and attach it to his Makita.

Comment

My grandpa sometimes makes homemade bread.
                        sigpic

Comment

Don't forget homemade pizza!
                          ... the young man is looking for inexpensive, and you really can't get cheaper than three cups of flour, a cup of water, and a packet of yeast.
                          Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          My grandpa sometimes makes homemade bread.
                          I did some baking yesterday and took pics for the Insta I share with students, a lot of whom are in your position, young, a bit broke, and in need of advice on how to eat cheap on their own, from someone who's done it.

This is pizza-for-under-a-buck.

IMG_4269.jpg

Stir a spoon of sugar and a spoon of yeast into a cup of water.

IMG_5651.jpg

Stir up three cups of flour and a double-dash of salt.

IMG_6064.jpg

If the yeast's good, it'll foam inside 10 minutes.

IMG_0902.jpg

Fork stir, wet over dry, add some oil. When the flour's stirred in, take it out.

Then oil the table, so the dough won't stick, and add some oil to the bowl, so the ball won't stick when you put it back in.

Then oil your hands.

IMG_2621.jpg

Put the heel of your hand at the bottom of the ball and push. Give it a quarter turn and do it again. Five minutes is good. Less makes it more crumbly, more makes it smoother. You don't actually need to knead at all.

IMG_6110.jpg

With the doughball in one hand, grab and stretch the skin with the other, poking the excess into the ball. Roll it in the bowl, and leave the taut side up.

IMG_5066.jpg

If you stretch it, it'll rise evenly, but you don't actually have to do that, either.

IMG_1157.jpg

When it's doubled, punch it down and roll out half of it. Toss the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. If the rolling pin is oiled, it won't stick. If the table's oiled, it won't stick there, either.

Lots of folks will tell you to beat the sticking by tossing flour down, on the table, on the dough, on the rolling pin, on the floor, on the walls, on your neighbor's annoying little sister's dog, whatever. Yeah, that'll work, too. Too messy for me.

IMG_9183.jpg

Use anything that pours, two squished tomatoes, whatever you like, or no sauce at all. I've seen it done with bottled afredo. I used curry sauce.

IMG_5215.jpg

Top it.

Or don't. This will bake in 10 minutes whether there's anything on the bread or not.

IMG_3180.jpg

That's a 12-inch pizza, cooked for 10 minutes in a toaster oven at 400 F.

IMG_1629.jpg

Curried mushroom, bread-crust pizza.

Comment

I did some baking yesterday and took pics for the Insta I share with students, a lot of whom are in your position, young, a bit broke, and in need of advice on how to eat cheap on their own, from someone who's done it.

This is pizza-for-under-a-buck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40923[/ATTACH]

Stir a spoon of sugar and a spoon of yeast into a cup of water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40924[/ATTACH]

Stir up three cups of flour and a double-dash of salt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40925[/ATTACH]

If the yeast's good, it'll foam inside 10 minutes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40926[/ATTACH]

Fork stir, wet over dry, add some oil. When the flour's stirred in, take it out.

Then oil the table, so the dough won't stick, and add some oil to the bowl, so the ball won't stick when you put it back in.

Then oil your hands.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40927[/ATTACH]

Put the heel of your hand at the bottom of the ball and push. Give it a quarter turn and do it again. Five minutes is good. Less makes it more crumbly, more makes it smoother. You don't actually need to knead at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40928[/ATTACH]

With the doughball in one hand, grab and stretch the skin with the other, poking the excess into the ball. Roll it in the bowl, and leave the taut side up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40929[/ATTACH]

If you stretch it, it'll rise evenly, but you don't actually have to do that, either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40930[/ATTACH]

When it's doubled, punch it down and roll out half of it. Toss the rest in the fridge for tomorrow. If the rolling pin is oiled, it won't stick. If the table's oiled, it won't stick there, either.

Lots of folks will tell you to beat the sticking by tossing flour down, on the table, on the dough, on the rolling pin, on the floor, on the walls, on your neighbor's annoying little sister's dog, whatever. Yeah, that'll work, too. Too messy for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40931[/ATTACH]

Use anything that pours, two squished tomatoes, whatever you like, or no sauce at all. I've seen it done with bottled afredo. I used curry sauce.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40932[/ATTACH]

Top it.

Or don't. This will bake in 10 minutes whether there's anything on the bread or not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40933[/ATTACH]

That's a 12-inch pizza, cooked for 10 minutes in a toaster oven at 400 F.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40934[/ATTACH]

Curried mushroom, bread-crust pizza.
                            Neat. As you've indicated you can top it anyway you want. You could even clear out some leftovers if the combination is palatable.

My brother got a bread making machine a few years ago and made pizza. He doesn't like like a lot of tomato paste so he cuts that in half and doubles the cheese. Of course with stuff like that he tends to use it extensively for a couple months, grow bored with it and stuff it away in the pantry to take up space along with half a dozen similar devices.

Hmm. It might be useful to ask around to see if anyone has some (working) appliances that they never use and just takes up space in already crowded cabinets and see if they'll give it to you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If you really want to pinch your pennies, you need to know how much your meals cost, and that means you need to be able to calculate the cost of ingredients per meal. Shown, that was a $2.30 pizza, but all but the last 30 cents came from the toppings because I used extra cheese, fresh veggies and a prepared sauce.

Oil it and sprinkle a half-ounce of parmesan instead to get Pizza TheWallFredo: 50 cents.

Crust, (64.7 / 2) = 32.4 cents per pizza, in order of appearance:
                              Yeast: 1 tsp yeast * $5.99 / 1 lb box * 1 lb / 160 tsp = 3.7 cents
                              Sugar: 1 tsp sugar * $1.98 / 4 lb bag * 4 lb / 435 tsp = .5 cents

Flour: 3 cups flour * $2.36 / 5 lb bag * 5 lbs / 17 cups = 41.6 cents
                              Salt: 1 tsp salt * $.48 / lb * 1 lb / 78 tsp = .6 cents

Olive oil: 2 tbsp oil * $18.48 / 101 oz bottle * 1.88 oz / 4 tbsp = 18.3 cents

Toppings, 197.7 cents per pizza:
                              Curry sauce: 2 tbsp * $2.98 / 15 oz jar * 1 oz / 2 tbsp = 19.9 cents
                              Cheese: 4 oz * $7.14 / 32 oz bag of shredded = 89.3 cents
                              Mushrooms: 4 oz * $3.54 / 16 oz package = 88.5 cents

Package prices came from grocery receipts.
                              Conversions from package sizes came from googling

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Neat. As you've indicated you can top it anyway you want. You could even clear out some leftovers if the combination is palatable.
                                If you can physically put it on bread, you can put it on pizza. I've put yesterday's pasta dish on a pizza before, myself.

My brother got a bread making machine a few years ago and made pizza. He doesn't like like a lot of tomato paste so he cuts that in half and doubles the cheese. Of course with stuff like that he tends to use it extensively for a couple months, grow bored with it and stuff it away in the pantry to take up space along with half a dozen similar devices.

Hmm. It might be useful to ask around to see if anyone has some (working) appliances that they never use and just takes up space in already crowded cabinets and see if they'll give it to you.
                                I don't know anyone who's still using bread machines except for mixing and kneading, or just mixing. Everyone I know has a food processor collecting dust in a back cabinet somewhere, which is probably the best spot for them, cause using them isn't worth the trouble of cleaning them, which is what I think of bread machines, too.

I deliberately kept everything primitive on this one, easy to clean up.

One spoon, one fork, a two-cup pyrex, and a good-sized glass mixing bowl.

I also used a rolling pin and a tortilla pan, but hands and a sheet of parchment paper would sub just fine.

Comment