Woodstock 50 Years Later.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodstock 50 Years Later.

I'll tell you my Woodstock story. I was 16, I actually purchased a ticked, if I remember correctly it was 15 dollars. On the night I was supposed to leave my parents said I couldn't go (they were going back and forth) - I thought about sneaking out of the house and going anyway, but back in those day you listen to your parents. And it was a good thing I didn't. The six guys I was going with, in an old Chevy van, got into a head on collision on the way up. No one was killed, but they all ended up in the hospital - they missed the whole show. To this day I wonder - was Woodstock such a good thing? There were both positives and negatives.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

He still looks pretty good after 50 years.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I read somewhere that Woodstock is a girl.

As for the festival? I can only imagine how horrible it actually smelled. I have a hard time just dealing with my neighbors smoking pot.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        The six guys I was going with, in an old Chevy van, got into a head on collision on the way up. No one was killed, but they all ended up in the hospital - they missed the whole show.
        Sounds like admonishment of Divine.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I read somewhere that Woodstock is a girl.
          Originally, but now Woodstock (who was named after the concert) is male. The first transgender cartoon/comic character?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Originally, but now Woodstock (who was named after the concert) is male. The first transgender cartoon/comic character?
            And possibly the most famous cannibal character, based on his/her/its eating turkey during the closing scene of the Thanksgiving special.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              And possibly the most famous cannibal character, based on his/her/its eating turkey during the closing scene of the Thanksgiving special.
              Of course not being a turkey, it would be more akin to a human eating a chimpanzee.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Male or female, why does Woodstock make me ?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course not being a turkey, it would be more akin to a human eating a chimpanzee.
                  You're still doing that?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was eight years old.

Comment

To this day I wonder - was Woodstock such a good thing? There were both positives and negatives.
                      Listening to lots of interviews from musicians of the period, talking to my dad who lived it, and reading a number of biographies, by 1969 the Hip thing had gotten so mainstream that, while Woodstock was obviously a big deal, lots actually preferred things like the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival (which coincided with the Summer of Love, and the Death of Hippie), and the Newport Jazz/Folk Festivals. Woodstock, Altamont, and Isle of Wight seem to me to be when the dream of Hippie, and all of the flower power, and peace and love went out the door. It's with those festivals and around that period that the rottenness of a Christless utopian worldview was exposed for what it was, and all of that free love and drug use started to take its toll. Charles Manson, Kent State, Beatles breaking up, death of Morrison, Joplin, Jones, and Hendrix. Haight-Ashbury went from a vivid and vital place of care free blissed out chaos, to a neighborhood full of junkies, dealers, prostitutes and pimps. It would have been awesome to be part of all of that between 65-67...maybe even 68, but by 69 and 70, it seems like the threads of the whole thing were becoming unstitched.

But I wasn't there, obviously, so I could be completely off.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Listening to lots of interviews from musicians of the period, talking to my dad who lived it, and reading a number of biographies, by 1969 the Hip thing had gotten so mainstream that, while Woodstock was obviously a big deal, lots actually preferred things like the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival (which coincided with the Summer of Love, and the Death of Hippie), and the Newport Jazz/Folk Festivals. Woodstock, Altamont, and Isle of Wight seem to me to be when the dream of Hippie, and all of the flower power, and peace and love went out the door. It's with those festivals and around that period that the rottenness of a Christless utopian worldview was exposed for what it was, and all of that free love and drug use started to take its toll. Charles Manson, Kent State, Beatles breaking up, death of Morrison, Joplin, Jones, and Hendrix. Haight-Ashbury went from a vivid and vital place of care free blissed out chaos, to a neighborhood full of junkies, dealers, prostitutes and pimps. It would have been awesome to be part of all of that between 65-67...maybe even 68, but by 69 and 70, it seems like the threads of the whole thing were becoming unstitched.

But I wasn't there, obviously, so I could be completely off.
                        I think the peaceful atmosphere of Woodstock with everyone helping everyone else was laudable. But a once in a lifetime event, all the stars just happened to line up. It was all going down hill by that point though. I visited Haight-Ashbury in 71, it was a sewer (of course we were not accepted being Marines with high and tight haircuts).
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think the peaceful atmosphere of Woodstock with everyone helping everyone else was laudable. But a once in a lifetime event, all the stars just happened to line up. It was all going down hill by that point though. I visited Haight-Ashbury in 71, it was a sewer (of course we were not accepted being Marines with high and tight haircuts).
                          Probably could have been a lot worse, but a couple people died at Woodstock. They didn't have nearly enough toilets for the masses of people there. Tons of people climbed into the event or just walked through, so the organizers were forced to make the concert free, which ended up costing them a fortune. The place was left a trash heap. Everything and everyone was covered in mud, and there wasn't enough food and water to go around. The brown acid was bad, man!

Okay, for an event that ended up attracting 500,000 dirty, naked, hairy hippies it could have been a LOT worse, but "Real Hippies" do a lot of gate keeping and say that the scene was well and truly dead by 69, and lots of the bands at the event claim that it was a complete disaster.
                          Pete Townshend: "The people at Woodstock really were a bunch of hypocrites claiming a cosmic revolution simply because they took over a field, broke down some fences, imbibed bad acid and then tried to run out without paying the band."
                          "Woodstock was horrible. It was only horrible because it went so wrong. It could have been extraordinary. I suppose with the carefully edited view that the public got through Michael Wadleigh’s film, it was a great event. But for those involved in it, it was a terrible shambles, full of the most naïve, childlike people."

Jerry Garcia: "Woodstock was a bummer for us. It was terrible to play at. We were playing at nighttime, in the dark, and we were looking out to what we knew to be 400,000 people. But you couldn’t see anybody. You could only see little fires and stuff out there on the hillside, and these incredible bright spotlights shining in your eyes. People were freaking out here and there and crowding on the stage. People behind the amplifiers were hollering that the stage was about to collapse—all that kind of stuff. It was like a really bad psychic place to be when you’re trying to play music."

John Fogerty: "We didn’t do very well at Woodstock because of the time segment and also because we followed the Grateful Dead, and therefore everybody was asleep."

Grace Slick : “Woodstock was a bunch of stupid slobs in the mud, and Altamont was a bunch of angry slobs in the mud.”

Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish: “When they tell me it was great, I know they saw the movie and they weren’t at the gig.”

Then again, Roger Daltry stated: "Woodstock was probably the single best show in history. Townshend doesn't like it because he is an idiot."

It probably would have been a blast if you weren't in a band, and you weren't laying in a heap of trash.

Comment

Probably could have been a lot worse, but a couple people died at Woodstock. They didn't have nearly enough toilets for the masses of people there. Tons of people climbed into the event or just walked through, so the organizers were forced to make the concert free, which ended up costing them a fortune. The place was left a trash heap. Everything and everyone was covered in mud, and there wasn't enough food and water to go around. The brown acid was bad, man!

Okay, for an event that ended up attracting 500,000 dirty, naked, hairy hippies it could have been a LOT worse, but "Real Hippies" do a lot of gate keeping and say that the scene was well and truly dead by 69, and lots of the bands at the event claim that it was a complete disaster.
                            Pete Townshend: "The people at Woodstock really were a bunch of hypocrites claiming a cosmic revolution simply because they took over a field, broke down some fences, imbibed bad acid and then tried to run out without paying the band."
                            "Woodstock was horrible. It was only horrible because it went so wrong. It could have been extraordinary. I suppose with the carefully edited view that the public got through Michael Wadleigh’s film, it was a great event. But for those involved in it, it was a terrible shambles, full of the most naïve, childlike people."

Jerry Garcia: "Woodstock was a bummer for us. It was terrible to play at. We were playing at nighttime, in the dark, and we were looking out to what we knew to be 400,000 people. But you couldn’t see anybody. You could only see little fires and stuff out there on the hillside, and these incredible bright spotlights shining in your eyes. People were freaking out here and there and crowding on the stage. People behind the amplifiers were hollering that the stage was about to collapse—all that kind of stuff. It was like a really bad psychic place to be when you’re trying to play music."

John Fogerty: "We didn’t do very well at Woodstock because of the time segment and also because we followed the Grateful Dead, and therefore everybody was asleep."

Grace Slick : “Woodstock was a bunch of stupid slobs in the mud, and Altamont was a bunch of angry slobs in the mud.”

Barry Melton of Country Joe and the Fish: “When they tell me it was great, I know they saw the movie and they weren’t at the gig.”

Then again, Roger Daltry stated: "Woodstock was probably the single best show in history. Townshend doesn't like it because he is an idiot."

It probably would have been a blast if you weren't in a band, and you weren't laying in a heap of trash.
                            And didn't take the brown acid.

Comment

The left certainly plays it up as a seminal event.

Comment