Anyone Do a Tour to Israel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Do a Tour to Israel?

I'm looking to do a tour of Israel in 2020, and taking my father with me. Never been on a guided tour there before, and it'll be part pilgrimage, part learning experience, part vacation type thing. I think I'd like to do one with a good Bible scholar associated with it, but I can't seem to find any that are available currently.

Looks like Craig Evans is doing a cruise tour (with Jerry Jenkins of the Left Behind books of all things). I'd LOVE to take a tour with Evans (not so much Jenkins), as he's one of my NT scholar heroes, but it's a cruise, and I really don't want to do a cruise.

Not really a scholar, but the apologist Frank Turek is doing a tour, but it looks like it's booked out. Not sure I'd be that thrilled taking a tour with Turek anyhow (no offence, just not really my cup of tea).

Those are both with a company called Living Passages. Another company called Morning Star works with Dallas Theological Seminary and Moody Bible Institute, so that sounds promising. But I don't know. I don't want to go on a tour with some super celebrity in the pop Christian world where I'll get lost in the shuffle of a dozen buses loaded with tourists. Have you guys taken a tour of Israel, and if so how did it go? Any recommendations?

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I'm looking to do a tour of Israel in 2020, and taking my father with me. Never been on a guided tour there before, and it'll be part pilgrimage, part learning experience, part vacation type thing. I think I'd like to do one with a good Bible scholar associated with it, but I can't seem to find any that are available currently.

Looks like Craig Evans is doing a cruise tour (with Jerry Jenkins of the Left Behind books of all things). I'd LOVE to take a tour with Evans (not so much Jenkins), as he's one of my NT scholar heroes, but it's a cruise, and I really don't want to do a cruise.

Not really a scholar, but the apologist Frank Turek is doing a tour, but it looks like it's booked out. Not sure I'd be that thrilled taking a tour with Turek anyhow (no offence, just not really my cup of tea).

Those are both with a company called Living Passages. Another company called Morning Star works with Dallas Theological Seminary and Moody Bible Institute, so that sounds promising. But I don't know. I don't want to go on a tour with some super celebrity in the pop Christian world where I'll get lost in the shuffle of a dozen buses loaded with tourists. Have you guys taken a tour of Israel, and if so how did it go? Any recommendations?
    I did a tour of Israel a few years ago with a group from my diocese. It was awesome, and I'd love to be able to go back for another round someday; I went before the recent restoration work done on the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I did a tour of Israel a few years ago with a group from my diocese. It was awesome, and I'd love to be able to go back for another round someday; I went before the recent restoration work done on the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
      How big was the group when you got there? Was there much confusion after you got off your plane and found your group? What time of year did you go, and what was the weather like?

Comment

IIRC the prodder of bovines has gone to Israel at least once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I went with some friends and under the care of Gate1Travel. I don't recommend them. Been another time with a church group.

I NOW have a line on HopeForIsreael tour with my friend, a Messianic Jew.... lemme round up some details.

One of my tours was led by a young woman who had been a tank commander trainer with the IDF - THAT was pretty interesting, because she was a non-religious Jew who had really done her homework on what Christians want to know about the Holy Land.

The last time, we went in October, and the weather was fantastic. The trip was very orderly, and we had some older folks with us who managed to keep up, because the pace was not very hectic.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I went with some friends and under the care of Gate1Travel. I don't recommend them. Been another time with a church group.

I NOW have a line on HopeForIsreael tour with my friend, a Messianic Jew.... lemme round up some details.

One of my tours was led by a young woman who had been a tank commander trainer with the IDF - THAT was pretty interesting, because she was a non-religious Jew who had really done her homework on what Christians want to know about the Holy Land.

The last time, we went in October, and the weather was fantastic. The trip was very orderly, and we had some older folks with us who managed to keep up, because the pace was not very hectic.
            Ok, thank you. How big are he standard tour groups that you've gone with. Also, was the church group your own? I asked Morning Star Tours about their upcoming trips. They have a few, but there's one with a church group from the same state as me in March that runs for about 11 days. It's being led by Dr. Charlie Dyer who I'm not familiar with, but apparently he teaches at Moody, and co-hosts a radio program called The Land and the Book, which I'm unfamiliar with.

Comment

How big was the group when you got there? Was there much confusion after you got off your plane and found your group? What time of year did you go, and what was the weather like?
              We met in Pittsburgh Airport, and flew as a group from there. When I signed up, I didn't know anyone else who was going, though it turned out another guy from my parish was along too. I went in early May; the weather was quite warm and dry.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ok, thank you. How big are he standard tour groups that you've gone with.
                25 people - and they use those wireless comms like you have a receiver on a lanyard around your neck, and earphones, and the guide has a headset and a transmitter.... she explains everything as you go along, and keeps an eye on the "last guy", making sure the group stays together.

Also, was the church group your own?
                There were 6 people from my Church, and we met up with the rest of the tour group at Tel Aviv - Ben Gurion Airport. It was quite well organized, then we took a charter bus to Jerusalem where we spent our first two nights.

I asked Morning Star Tours about their upcoming trips. They have a few, but there's one with a church group from the same state as me in March that runs for about 11 days. It's being led by Dr. Charlie Dyer who I'm not familiar with, but apparently he teaches at Moody, and co-hosts a radio program called The Land and the Book, which I'm unfamiliar with.
                Some of the more commercial tours have too many stops at "tourist attractions" like the Diamond exchange or places where they make all kinds of artifacts out of olive tree - hoping you'll spend money, and no doubt the tour operator gets a percentage.

You church tours will have a lot less of that.

OBP - did you St Pete's house - that big kinda UFO thing built over it?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My best friend is good friends with the director of Hope For Israel! I can get you in touch with him if you want, Adrift.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    OBP - did you St Pete's house - that big kinda UFO thing built over it?
                    Yeah, the Catholics rebuilt a lot of their churches in Israel in the late 19th century, and they tend to be odd like that. I did my best to get a decent picture of the house over which it was built. Their church at Gesthemane was probably the least objectionable.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      My best friend is good friends with the director of Hope For Israel! I can get you in touch with him if you want, Adrift.
                      Thanks Bill. I'll check them out, and let ya know!

Comment

Thanks Bill. I'll check them out, and let ya know!
                        So, my best friend is the one leading the Hope For Israel tour this November 10-23. The flight is leaving out of Austin. He said there are just over 30 people signed up, and he'd love to have you join. If you want, I can PM you his info.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So, my best friend is the one leading the Hope For Israel tour this November 10-23. The flight is leaving out of Austin. He said there are just over 30 people signed up, and he'd love to have you join. If you want, I can PM you his info.
                          Your "best friend" wouldn't be B*** K***, would it?

Comment

Wow! Thanks Bill! I'm actually looking for something further out. Maybe around spring of 2020 (March to May time frame). I'll be taking my father with.

Comment

And the thing I really love about Hope for Israel is the fact that they are very open about "we give aid to everybody in Israel - the Jews, the Druids, the Muslims.... we don't ask 'are you a Jew' - we help everybody".

They are the ones who did our mini-Seder at Church, and also presented the program to our Ministerial Association.

Comment