Collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

I've never shot anything that big. My .44 is a 7.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, so it handles the recoil pretty well. Still got a decisive boom to it, though.
    I'm happy with my Ruger Security Six .357 magnum.... if I fire 50 or so rounds from it, I'll have a blister in the web between my index finger and thumb. And I have "farm hands".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm happy with my Ruger Security Six .357 magnum.... if I fire 50 or so rounds from it, I'll have a blister in the web between my index finger and thumb. And I have "farm hands".
      I'd really like to get a .357. Still, those darn things cost money.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I seriously thought about acquiring a Smith & Wesson .500. Sure glad I fired one before deciding to invest in one.
        A friend of mine just bought a Desert Eagle .50. He keeps raving about it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Alright, you nerds. Fess up.

Do any of you collect anything? What do you collect?
          Fossils. I have among other things quite an extensive collection of various dinosaur teeth including three from T rex.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I think it's a "Macho Macho" thing .... kinda like "yeah, it's powerful, but ain't nothin I can't handle".

I'm wise and honest enough to admit I don't need that much power impacting my hand and wrist.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Fossils. I have among other things quite an extensive collection of various dinosaur teeth including three from T rex.
              How'd ya get started? And how old were ya?

Comment

My .45's a Desert Eagle 1911. I quite like it.

Comment

Comment

How'd ya get started? And how old were ya?

Funny story that.

I was at a silent auction in the early 1990s. I placed a bid on a page from an early illuminated Bible that Albrecht Dürer had worked on. Now he was only responsible for doing the face of IIRC a monk which was smaller than your thumbprint. The rest had been done by his students and apprentices. I thought it would be real cool to own something done by one of the great masters (even if it was just a tiny portion).

Well I lost the auction by $5. A lousy, stinking #@&%#$ five dollars. Being a silent auction you can only make one bid and cannot raise it.

I was fuming. And I had money burning a hole in my pocket. A few minutes later a small collection of fossils came up for auction. there was a slab with some orthoceras[1] on it, a pyritized ammonite, a trilobite or two and a 6" long Spinosaurus tooth.

I bid $50 and won. As I was paying for it the person who was collecting my money informed me that I got a great deal in that the tooth (which was a superb specimen with excellent serrations) was worth nearly $200 by itself.

From that point I got interested. I developed contacts all over the world (was even getting dinosaur teeth[2] from species that were just being described in science journals at the time). I partnered up with two paleontologists and started selling fossils with a wide range of clients ranging from private individuals and institutions, universities and museums (including the Smithsonian, the Field Museum, the British Museum of Natural History and Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin).

By 2008 I was making around $30,000/year at my "hobby." And then the economy collapsed. Funny thing is when money becomes tight buying fossils is not exactly at the top of everyone's list of things to do.

1. Not the actual slab I bought

2. What I primarily collect
                    Last edited by rogue06; 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Funny story that.

I was at a silent auction in the early 1990s. I placed a bid on a page from an early illuminated Bible that Albrecht Dürer had worked on. Now he was only responsible for doing the face of IIRC a monk which was smaller than your thumbprint. The rest had been done by his students and apprentices. I thought it would be real cool to own something done by one of the great masters (even if it was just a tiny portion).

Well I lost the auction by $5. A lousy, stinking #@&%#$ five dollars. Being a silent auction you can only make one bid and cannot raise it.

I was fuming. And I had money burning a hole in my pocket. A few minutes later a small collection of fossils came up for auction. there was a slab with some orthoceras[1] on it, a pyritized ammonite, a trilobite or two and a 6" long Spinosaurus tooth.

I bid $50 and won. As I was paying for it the person who was collecting my money informed me that I got a great deal in that the tooth (which was a superb specimen with excellent serrations) was worth nearly $200 by itself.

From that point I got interested. I developed contacts all over the world (was even getting dinosaur teeth[2] from species that were just being described in science journals at the time). I partnered up with two paleontologists and started selling fossils with a wide range of clients ranging from private individuals and institutions, universities and museums (including the Smithsonian, the Field Museum, the British Museum of Natural History and Museum für Naturkunde in Berlin).

By 2008 I was making around $30,000/year at my "hobby." And then the economy collapsed. Funny thing is when money becomes tight buying fossils is not exactly at the top of everyone's list of things to do.

1. Not the actual slab I bought

2. What I primarily collect
                      Interesting, thanks

Comment

Knives and swords. German beer steins. Coins.

Hey, what else would a pirate collect?

Comment

I have some rocks, and in certain cases video games. I have a few rare ones, although some of the best ones don't have their box and books. One does however, this one.

Comment

Stamps. I have a very extensive collection. Not particularly valuable, except to me, I think. My older sisters started collecting when they were youth (my oldest sister is 73 this year), and I took over their collection when they didn't want it anymore.

Some of the most interesting stamps I have are from WW 2 Germany. Overprinted with stuff like "200 million pennig", etc., on one stamp, right over Hitler's face. Maybe they are post-war, I am not sure. I have friends who save stamps for me, and I have belonged to one or another purchasing club over the years, so I have quite a few from all over the world.

I also have a very small collection of china and other items with violets on them. Don't know why, I am just enthralled by violets on china.

Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 03:14 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              I have some rocks, and in certain cases video games. I have a few rare ones, although some of the best ones don't have their box and books. One does however, this one.
                              You nerd.

Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                                Stamps. I have a very extensive collection. Not particularly valuable, except to me, I think. My older sisters started collecting when they were youth (my oldest sister is 73 this year), and I took over their collection when they didn't want it anymore.

Some of the most interesting stamps I have are from WW 2 Germany. Overprinted with stuff like "200 million pennig", etc., on one stamp, right over Hitler's face. Maybe they are post-war, I am not sure. I have friends who save stamps for me, and I have belonged to one or another purchasing club over the years, so I have quite a few from all over the world.

I also have a very small collection of china and other items with violets on them. Don't know why, I am just enthralled by violets on china.

...but the real question is, do you have any misprinted stamps?

My collection isn't really worth anything either, except to me. I have several CDs that I could probably sell for between $50 and $100, but it would be tough to find someone who even recognized them, without already owning them.
                                Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment