Rat Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rat Race

So I want to escape the rat race. I would like to escape to a distant land(s) and live a simple life. Think nomadic lifestyle. I want to see how long I can sustain that. I am thinking about just packing the essentials in a backpack buying a plane ticket to, say Cambodia, and never look back. I am aware of the dangers, but the thought of doing something like this is completely exhilarating and I would utterly regret my life if I just played it safe. I also don't like conventional travel and occasional vacations here and there are just not going to cut it. I want to walk/bike around kinda aimlessly on the road less traveled.

Some relevant and inspiring websites:

1) http://www.nomadicmatt.com/

2) http://30yearoldninja.com/about/

3) http://ethan-around-the-world.blogspot.ca/

Any comments other than "you're crazy" are appreciated!

Do you speak any other languages, or do you have a natural aptitude for quickly picking languages up?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

How about playing it safe and having adventures when possible (and make time for them)? What happens if you have health problems while in the Congo?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Do you speak any other languages, or do you have a natural aptitude for quickly picking languages up?
        Only English. I would basically just smile and speak with my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          How about playing it safe and having adventures when possible (and make time for them)? What happens if you have health problems while in the Congo?
          I actually have chronic health problems and the lifestyle I am living now will destroy me sooner or later, and I'm thinking sooner. The thought of going on some type of social assistance is soul-killing. I would much rather touch down in say Myanmar and start walking. If I drop dead there at least I will die with a sense of satisfaction.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
              I actually have chronic health problems and the lifestyle I am living now will destroy me sooner or later, and I'm thinking sooner. The thought of going on some type of social assistance is soul-killing. I would much rather touch down in say Myanmar and start walking. If I drop dead there at least I will die with a sense of satisfaction.
              Such a decision, potentially with literally life or death implications, should be made as rationally as possible and to be honest, I'm not sure the reasoning presented thus far in the thread strikes me as fully rationally thought out. This isn't to minimize your current circumstances at all, but rather to ensure that you've fully thought out exactly how you think this would play out rather than just having vague ideals in mind.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

45 years ago my true love and I packed everything we owned (and intended to keep) in our jeep and headed for the Alaskan wilderness. Today we no longer live in the wilderness, but I am not sorry we came up here.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Such a decision, potentially with literally life or death implications, should be made as rationally as possible and to be honest, I'm not sure the reasoning presented thus far in the thread strikes me as fully rationally thought out. This isn't to minimize your current circumstances at all, but rather to ensure that you've fully thought out exactly how you think this would play out rather than just having vague ideals in mind.
                  I don't think the undertaking I am proposing is entirely rational, if rational at all. I agree the implications are dire but really, so what? I think a mediocre life in our society is far more debilitating in the long run. Check this out for some perspective:

http://www.gadling.com/2012/05/25/me...world-and-the/

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    45 years ago my true love and I packed everything we owned (and intended to keep) in our jeep and headed for the Alaskan wilderness. Today we no longer live in the wilderness, but I am not sorry we came up here.
                    How long did you stay in the wilderness and how did you survive?

Comment

That sounds more like depression talking than a real heart's desire. You need to talk to someone - preferably now.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Agree with Teal
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                          How long did you stay in the wilderness and how did you survive?
                          We lived out there for four years. Our intent was to homestead and live off the land - for the most part anyhow. I lived largely off wild game, but did buy flour, eggs and such. I worked odd jobs during the summers. My first summer up here I worked fighting a forest fire near the area we lived in. But I did carpentry work, wire pulling for the electrician building a local school building, and as a night relief cook for the Copper Center Lodge (about 25 miles away).

Turns out that the Native Lands Claim settlement eliminated my area from homesteading and we eventually followed a job as a surveyor into town (Anchorage). That job grew into a permanent job that I finally retired from on January 1, 2000.

Coming to Alaska resulted in my finding the Lord Jesus Christ - so all in all a good thing. I guess this expanded well beyond the original question.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            That sounds more like depression talking than a real heart's desire. You need to talk to someone - preferably now.
                            That's always a wise move and it wouldn't hurt because I agree that such an adventure needs to be based upon desire but I think sometimes our circumstances can push us in a direction we otherwise wouldn't have the courage to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              We lived out there for four years. Our intent was to homestead and live off the land - for the most part anyhow. I lived largely off wild game, but did buy flour, eggs and such. I worked odd jobs during the summers. My first summer up here I worked fighting a forest fire near the area we lived in. But I did carpentry work, wire pulling for the electrician building a local school building, and as a night relief cook for the Copper Center Lodge (about 25 miles away).

Turns out that the Native Lands Claim settlement eliminated my area from homesteading and we eventually followed a job as a surveyor into town (Anchorage). That job grew into a permanent job that I finally retired from on January 1, 2000.

Coming to Alaska resulted in my finding the Lord Jesus Christ - so all in all a good thing. I guess this expanded well beyond the original question.
                              Cool, I bet you have many fond memories.

Comment