Giving up the Car Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving up the Car Keys

We had this discussion years ago after Mom died, that Dad was still driving at 88 years of age, and his driving sometimes scared my sisters, who lived near him.
    We talked about the fact that, sooner or later, somebody was going to need to have "that talk" with Dad, and my sisters were convinced I was the guy to do it.

I flew to Ohio where they lived, and was planning spending a week with Dad and family just seeing what I could see, because my sisters told me they were getting very concerned about Dad's driving.

As I was sitting in my sister's house talking to her and my favorite brother-in-law (I have 5 of them), we got a call from the Ohio State Highway Patrol that Dad had been in an accident - the dispatcher stressed VERY MINOR - nobody was injured, and ZERO damage to either car.

I wondered why, then, did it involve OSHP.

It was two blocks from the house, and we were there in a flash.

There was an Ohio State Highway Patrol vehicle at the "stop bar" of the intersection, and Dad's car right behind his, almost touching the patrol vehicle. And there was Dad just sitting in his car.

As we approached Dad's car, the Patrolman very calmly came over and, after establishing we were 'family', told us nobody was injured, but "it appears your Dad fell asleep at the wheel, and very gently bumped the rear of my Patrol Vehicle". No damage to any vehicle, nobody injured, but the Officer pointed out, it's a very busy intersection, and if he had fallen asleep without a car in front of him to stop him, he may well have rolled into the intersection and caused a major accident.

When Dad saw me, he handed me his keys and said, "I'm OK, but I'm going to need chauffers' from now on".

I was so glad I never had to have "that talk" with Dad.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

A woman had to have "that talk" with her dad (a Russian emigre) about the pistol he carried with him everywhere. His wife chimed in with "the pistol goes, or I go." He had to think about it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      A woman had to have "that talk" with her dad (a Russian emigre) about the pistol he carried with him everywhere. His wife chimed in with "the pistol goes, or I go." He had to think about it.
      That sounds like the basis for a country western song.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where's my self driving car, you whippersnappers!

Comment

Anyway, as I get older, I'm wondering what it will be like when and if somebody has "that talk" with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Anyway, as I get older, I'm wondering what it will be like when and if somebody has "that talk" with me.
            That's a good segue. CP. I have been meaning to have a talk with you about something...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That's a good segue. CP. I have been meaning to have a talk with you about something...
              Knowifying me brudder he prolly has a Harley hidden out in a shed for after when you take his car keys.

That's why he calls it the hog shed!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Knowifying me brudder he prolly has a Harley hidden out in a shed for after when you take his car keys.

That's why he calls it the hog shed!
                I was gonna talk to him about his bacon problem.

Comment

Try having that talk with an 87-year-old stubborn, ornery as a cuss, mean former race car driver. My FIL still drives and he scares the daylights out of all of us. His legs are almost too weak to hold himself upright any more, he falls asleep while talking to you, and he can't hear well- even with hearing aids. My wife is fully expecting him and my MIL to kill someone some day, and that's not even exaggerating. She has tried to convince them to give up their keys and hire someone to drive them. They are wealthy enough to do so, but they are so tight with money, they could squeeze a dollar bill and get a boogie out of Washington's nose...
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Try having that talk with an 87-year-old stubborn, ornery as a cuss, mean former race car driver. My FIL still drives and he scares the daylights out of all of us. His legs are almost too weak to hold himself upright any more, he falls asleep while talking to you, and he can't hear well- even with hearing aids. My wife is fully expecting him and my MIL to kill someone some day, and that's not even exaggerating. She has tried to convince them to give up their keys and hire someone to drive them. They are wealthy enough to do so, but they are so tight with money, they could squeeze a dollar bill and get a boogie out of Washington's nose...
                    Twice, as Pastor, I have been involved in family discussions (not my own family) where this has come up --- I always thought it was a bit unfair to try to drag a Pastor into this, but.... I've been in tougher 'mediating' positions with families.

Comment

I was gonna talk to him about his bacon problem.
                      Not eatin' enuff?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        How does he renew his driver's license? When I renew mine from now on I have to take an eye test.

Comment

Not eatin' enuff?
                          he needs to hand over his keys.

Comment

How does he renew his driver's license? When I renew mine from now on I have to take an eye test.
                            His eyesight is fine. He even flew his airplane until last week when he finally sold it after 50 years....
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

he needs to hand over his keys.
                              He who? My truck doesn't use keys.

Comment