Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's Monday, is Next Friday in 4 days or 11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's Monday, is Next Friday in 4 days or 11?

It seems, depending on what part of Texas (or more likely the country) you are from, "Next Friday" can mean this coming Friday, or the one following that.

Many people will say "Friday week" (short for "Friday a week", which is short for Friday, not this one, but the following one) - as in "not this Friday, but a week from Friday" -- maybe that's an East Texas thing.

But a friend of mine texted me yesterday and invited me to lunch "next Friday", and this was on Monday.
    Now, the "next Friday" after Monday would be 4 days later, but he would have said "this Friday" if he meant in 4 days.

He knows I'm out of town THIS Friday, so I'm guessing he meant the Friday after that one.
    I could ask, but... where's the fun in that?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

All I know is that if we're having pork chops for supper, then it's Thursday.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It seems, depending on what part of Texas (or more likely the country) you are from, "Next Friday" can mean this coming Friday, or the one following that.

Many people will say "Friday week" (short for "Friday a week", which is short for Friday, not this one, but the following one) - as in "not this Friday, but a week from Friday" -- maybe that's an East Texas thing.

But a friend of mine texted me yesterday and invited me to lunch "next Friday", and this was on Monday.
      Now, the "next Friday" after Monday would be 4 days later, but he would have said "this Friday" if he meant in 4 days.

He knows I'm out of town THIS Friday, so I'm guessing he meant the Friday after that one.
      We simply say "this Friday" and "a week from Friday."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        We simply say "this Friday" and "a week from Friday."
        That's WAY too simple.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've always thought of "next" as the "next" one in line of Fridays. The first Friday on the horizon isn't "next" because it is first. "Next Friday" would be the "next Friday" after the one coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I've always thought of "next" as the "next" one in line of Fridays. The first Friday on the horizon isn't "next" because it is first. "Next Friday" would be the "next Friday" after the one coming up.
            That's way more apparent on Wednesday or Thursday.

Comment

That's WAY too simple.
              And probably took the entire first half of a short break to figure out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                So if you're first in line at the store and the cashier says "next" the person behind you goes? But the next Friday is the first Friday in the line for Fridays - it is both the next and the first in line. Next Friday meaning a week from "next" Friday makes absolutely no sense to me even though I know it is used that way.
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Or you could show up on both Fridays and get two free lunches

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

Or you could show up on both Fridays and get two free lunches
                    Somehow, I think one of those would be at my own expense.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And probably took the entire first half of a short break to figure out.
                      Figure what out?

Comment

Somehow, I think one of those would be at my own expense.
                        Then he could pay you back the next time you see him.

Comment

Then he could pay you back the next time you see him.
                          Like next Friday?

Comment

Like next Friday?
                            Exactly.

Comment

So if you're first in line at the store and the cashier says "next" the person behind you goes? But the next Friday is the first Friday in the line for Fridays - it is both the next and the first in line. Next Friday meaning a week from "next" Friday makes absolutely no sense to me even though I know it is used that way.
                              I see what you're saying.

It is a matter of reference. The "next" person in line is in reference to the last person who was called or served.

"Next Friday" (if not referencing all the days of the week) is in reference to this Friday. It's trickier the further back you go. If someone asked me on Saturday what I am doing "next Friday", I would think he's talking about the Friday of "next" week.

IOW, I am inconsistent.

Comment