Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If it's Monday, is Next Friday in 4 days or 11?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If it's Monday, is Next Friday in 4 days or 11?

    It seems, depending on what part of Texas (or more likely the country) you are from, "Next Friday" can mean this coming Friday, or the one following that.

    Many people will say "Friday week" (short for "Friday a week", which is short for Friday, not this one, but the following one) - as in "not this Friday, but a week from Friday" -- maybe that's an East Texas thing.

    But a friend of mine texted me yesterday and invited me to lunch "next Friday", and this was on Monday.
    Now, the "next Friday" after Monday would be 4 days later, but he would have said "this Friday" if he meant in 4 days.

    He knows I'm out of town THIS Friday, so I'm guessing he meant the Friday after that one.
    I could ask, but... where's the fun in that?

    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

  • #2
    All I know is that if we're having pork chops for supper, then it's Thursday.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It seems, depending on what part of Texas (or more likely the country) you are from, "Next Friday" can mean this coming Friday, or the one following that.

      Many people will say "Friday week" (short for "Friday a week", which is short for Friday, not this one, but the following one) - as in "not this Friday, but a week from Friday" -- maybe that's an East Texas thing.

      But a friend of mine texted me yesterday and invited me to lunch "next Friday", and this was on Monday.
      Now, the "next Friday" after Monday would be 4 days later, but he would have said "this Friday" if he meant in 4 days.

      He knows I'm out of town THIS Friday, so I'm guessing he meant the Friday after that one.
      I could ask, but... where's the fun in that?
      We simply say "this Friday" and "a week from Friday."

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        We simply say "this Friday" and "a week from Friday."
        That's WAY too simple.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've always thought of "next" as the "next" one in line of Fridays. The first Friday on the horizon isn't "next" because it is first. "Next Friday" would be the "next Friday" after the one coming up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I've always thought of "next" as the "next" one in line of Fridays. The first Friday on the horizon isn't "next" because it is first. "Next Friday" would be the "next Friday" after the one coming up.
            That's way more apparent on Wednesday or Thursday.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

              That's WAY too simple.
              And probably took the entire first half of a short break to figure out.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                I've always thought of "next" as the "next" one in line of Fridays. The first Friday on the horizon isn't "next" because it is first. "Next Friday" would be the "next Friday" after the one coming up.
                So if you're first in line at the store and the cashier says "next" the person behind you goes? But the next Friday is the first Friday in the line for Fridays - it is both the next and the first in line. Next Friday meaning a week from "next" Friday makes absolutely no sense to me even though I know it is used that way.
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  It seems, depending on what part of Texas (or more likely the country) you are from, "Next Friday" can mean this coming Friday, or the one following that.

                  Many people will say "Friday week" (short for "Friday a week", which is short for Friday, not this one, but the following one) - as in "not this Friday, but a week from Friday" -- maybe that's an East Texas thing.

                  But a friend of mine texted me yesterday and invited me to lunch "next Friday", and this was on Monday.
                  Now, the "next Friday" after Monday would be 4 days later, but he would have said "this Friday" if he meant in 4 days.

                  He knows I'm out of town THIS Friday, so I'm guessing he meant the Friday after that one.
                  I could ask, but... where's the fun in that?
                  Or you could show up on both Fridays and get two free lunches
                  We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

                    Or you could show up on both Fridays and get two free lunches
                    Somehow, I think one of those would be at my own expense.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And probably took the entire first half of a short break to figure out.
                      Figure what out?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                        Somehow, I think one of those would be at my own expense.
                        Then he could pay you back the next time you see him.
                        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

                          Then he could pay you back the next time you see him.
                          Like next Friday?
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                            Like next Friday?
                            Exactly.
                            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

                              So if you're first in line at the store and the cashier says "next" the person behind you goes? But the next Friday is the first Friday in the line for Fridays - it is both the next and the first in line. Next Friday meaning a week from "next" Friday makes absolutely no sense to me even though I know it is used that way.
                              I see what you're saying.

                              It is a matter of reference. The "next" person in line is in reference to the last person who was called or served.

                              "Next Friday" (if not referencing all the days of the week) is in reference to this Friday. It's trickier the further back you go. If someone asked me on Saturday what I am doing "next Friday", I would think he's talking about the Friday of "next" week.

                              IOW, I am inconsistent.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Cow Poke, 02-01-2024, 12:10 PM
                              131 responses
                              455 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by Sparko, 01-25-2023, 07:09 AM
                              148 responses
                              627 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by mossrose, 05-19-2022, 03:21 PM
                              1,389 responses
                              3,598 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post The Melody Maker  
                              Started by rogue06, 12-24-2021, 08:52 AM
                              456 responses
                              2,378 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by eider, 10-10-2021, 01:46 AM
                              105 responses
                              580 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X