• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Got a lot of help didn't you?
    Not really. Mostly didn't want to stress the poor kitty cat out. Also means that the cat can settle in to the new house without everything being frantic.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Got a lot of help didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Furthest I've moved in 12000km. WE got professionals to pack all our stuff up into a container and gave away/ tossed what didn't fit. The container went on a ship we went on a plane.

The one thing I learnt , you have too much junk you will take with you, throw more away.....

ETA: pets.....when moving locally I found on the main packing and unpacking days, it was best to put the cats into a cattery for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Yeah cats don't generally like travel. We had one who hated it until we got a travel trailer. Once he figured out there was a house following us, he was more agreeable.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Start practicing "99 bottles of beer on the wall".
    Cath and I sang that when driving cross country.

We had a couple interesting moments with her cat as well. He got thirsty and stopped drinking anything. We had to stop at a grocery store in Illinois to buy a syringe for him.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Check with a vet in Oregon to see if your pet's shots are up-to-date for Oregon. Especially check whether or not the current rabies is okay for them.

Figure out how pets will travel and go ahead and get the carriers you'll need. Then start crate training if they aren't already - it's a long trip either way.
    The dogs moved to my parents' house a year or two ago. We have a guinea pig that is free to a good home...

If only.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    LOL. Our pit stops were our pets' pit stops.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    ^Yeah, that!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Start eating all that stuff in the freezer. Aim for having nothing left in the fridge by the time you are ready to move so if you must buy ketchup, get the small size.

All that shredded paper at the office makes great packing material - see if it's okay to take a few bags home.

Check with a vet in Oregon to see if your pet's shots are up-to-date for Oregon. Especially check whether or not the current rabies is okay for them.

Figure out how pets will travel and go ahead and get the carriers you'll need. Then start crate training if they aren't already - it's a long trip either way.

Use up supplies as much as possible between now and then - why ship 32 rolls of TP? But do have one box of 'necessities' for when you arrive - and include a couple rolls of TP. Dragging your exhausted self to Wally World after a day of unloading/unpacking for TP and tooth paste is no fun.

I wouldn't ship a washer and dryer unless they were brand new (and my high end babies) - you can always use the Laundromat until you find a used set in the classifieds. (Yes, I are cheap - why do you ask?)

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    The fridge is either staying with the house or being given to a relative. I had forgotten about the washer/dryer. In this area, fridges go with the person unless it's an apartment (though often you need your own microwaves depending on the complex). I know that can be different in other locations, but I don't know about Oregon.

My car is a Honda Fit, and we paid for it completely up front. My wife's car is a 2010 Honda CR-V, and I don't remember what we owe on it. I would guess ~14k. I know there are inspections required to register a car in Oregon that aren't required here. I'll have to look into what that takes. The bus ride back is not a bad idea, it just makes the process that much longer.

Most of our furnishings are in like new condition. I have no idea what we're going to do with artwork, but I suspect that's all going with us...

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    Heh, it's not much colder than it gets here (surprisingly). It will be a lot cooler in the summers, though. And a LOT more rain...
    Rain, cold, not much of a difference as far as my body can tell...

I wouldn't be able to handle either actually.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Obviously KG and I moved me accross the country not to long ago. I would STRONGLY encourage getting a mobile storage Unit. For a houseful I would be going for PODS or something similar as opposed to UBOX. UBOX is good for apartments PODS for a house. Weigh the cost of what you have and DOWNSIZE IT, and PLEASE DO NOT MOVE IT YOURSELF. A good mobile storage will deliver the unit needed to your home, you pack it, take it and deliver it to your new house, then pick it up. Which for a big move is worth the price tag. Get rid of anything torn, broken down, mildewed, molded, etc. If it's basically not "brand new" condition, or familial value, you can replace it with nice 2nd hand stuff. (we're talking serious experience here) Of course I pretty much only took the bare necessities and the wrong boxes, I ended up throwing the wrong boxes and giving the good ones away, I pretty much needed all new clothing due to the baby anyhow and Annie hit a MASSIVE growth spurt. SHEESH!!! the things we forget about...

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    As part of the process, I tend (just because I'm anal this way) to put the most likely needed items in the lower numbered boxes, so I unpack them accordingly.
    I might add that I don't SEAL these "lower numbered" boxes til the last minute, and load them onto the truck or in the car last, so they are LIFO.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    When I was living in apartments, fridges were extra. That may have changed.
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment: