Long Distance Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance Moving

So, my wife has been interviewing for a position in northwest Oregon. She doesn't have an official offer yet because her boss-to-be is working on finalizing the compensation package, but my wife basically has the job if she wants it (and she does). All in all, it looks like we're officially moving to Oregon sometime between now and the end of July.

Moving will be a new experience. I've moved apartments and into a house, but I've never moved from a house to an apartment (let alone ~2,000 miles to another state). I know some of you have moved long distance (even to different countries). Any tips or lessons learned you can give me? Anyone in the Oregon area that can give me a good idea what to expect?

I'm obviously doing my own homework, but real life experience counts for a lot.
    I'm not here anymore.

Hope things go well for you there.

I know I certainly couldn't handle the cold.

Comment

1) Start packing NOW. Anything you don't need in the next couple months belongs in a box which is carefully labeled (which room it goes in, whose it is, date packed).
      2) Begin paring down - a house won't fit into an apartment so either you have to get rid of some stuff or you will need storage. Don't store stuff you don't actually want - it isn't worth it.
      3) Decide on a moving company and touch base with them. I've never used one but better early than late where movers are concerned (so I hear).
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Compare the cost of moving things (furniture) to the cost of selling them and buying new. Seriously -- this could be an opportunity to "start over" with the furniture and appliances you actually WANT, rather than what you have.

And don't be concerned that the "new place" isn't completely furnished with stuff you moved up there. You need a bed to sleep in, and a kitchen to cook in. Other than that, you can spend some time collecting the other furniture you want as you can afford it.

It's not like you're going to entertain a lot of people in Week 1. Leave behind the most expensive-to-move items, unless they have serious sentimental value (the wardrobe your grandmother left you, etc).

Books -- it's often WAY cheaper to move books by "mailing" them, rather than having a moving company move them. The estimate from the moving company is going to be by weight and volume, and books, obviously, are some of the most "dense" things you have. I have shipped my books in the past "library rate" way cheaper than having to haul them with me.

As has already been said -- begin packing now, but number your boxes, and maintain a "cheat sheet" of what's in each box. Taking time to do that will save lots of aggravation on the other end when you need a particular item, and won't need to open a whole bunch of boxes until you find what it is you are seeking.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Moving companies, particularly cross country, don't just move YOUR stuff point to point. They will give you a "range of dates" for delivery, because they might even offload your stuff onto a different truck, mix it with belongings of other, "right size" the truck they eventually end up with, and schedule the most efficient route and times. The more demanding you are of a "date certain", the more expensive the moving company will be -- just like airlines -- flexibility is much more affordable.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Like the others said, sooner you prepare the better. Take only what you really need. How old are your kids? Will they need to take a toy or two? Or maybe they'll be happy with new toys. Check on their comfort level about moving so far...they may not want to let go of their familiar stuff.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Hope things go well for you there.

I know I certainly couldn't handle the cold.
              Heh, it's not much colder than it gets here (surprisingly). It will be a lot cooler in the summers, though. And a LOT more rain...
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Forgot to mention... In our community we often get very nice yard sales from the military side cuz they normally have pretty new stuff to get rid of. They usually play up the nicer stuff in their ads. Do this with your stuff if and when you have your yard sale. But if it's mostly furniture, consider a house sale instead. Easier and safer since you wouldn't lug the pieces around and you can watch the stuff better.

Comment

Not going to quote people, but here are some comments etc...

1) We've started paring things down a fair bit. We don't know an official move date yet since I still need to find a job. It would be early July at the latest, though. We've been sorting through junk, and my wife found a home for at least one piece of furniture. I don't know what we can or can't pack just yet. That's next to work on it seems.
                  2) Most appliances will stay with the house (we actually just bought new ones to help it sell better). If we take anything, it would be the refrigerator, but we're trying to throw that in with the house, too.
                  3) I expect we'll put some things in storage. The general plan is to live in an apartment for a few months until we're more settled then start looking for a house.
                  4) Thanks for the tip on books. We have a LOT of books...
                  5) The cheat sheet is a fantastic idea for me to do.
                  6) Our daughter is not quite three (she'll probably be three by the time we move). She doesn't know we're moving, but there's little doubt most of her stuff is coming too. I'm going to secretly get rid of some toys.
                  7) My plan is to have wife/kid spend time with the MiL while I (and possibly my dad) drive up. Then I could pick up the wife/kid at the airport instead of driving ~21hrs with a three year old. That's probably a good time to move books, from the sound of it.
                  8) We have two cars, one of which I'll probably be driving up. Is it better to ship the second or just sell and buy a new one?
                  9) I hadn't thought about a house sale. Depending on what it is, we're more likely to just donate to goodwill, though.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming!
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

To me, C, the Cheat Sheet was probably the most helpful. Simply labeling a box "bedroom" or "living room" isn't nearly as helpful as knowing that "the chess board is in box #22".

As part of the process, I tend (just because I'm anal this way) to put the most likely needed items in the lower numbered boxes, so I unpack them accordingly.

Stuff I know I won't need fairly soon after the move will be in the higher numbered boxes -- quilts, extra bed sheets, blankets, wedding presents we've never used, etc.

And I like keeping my cheat sheet in an Excel spreadsheet or something on my laptop or ipad so I can do a quick e-search.

Comment

Depends on how much you owe as to whether selling it and getting a new one is a good plan. If you have the time you can take a bus back and drive the car yourself - much cheaper than shipping (and you can pack more books!). I would not replace a paid for vehicle if you are planning to buy a house soon.

Since you're going to be using storage, you might consider a container shipper like PODS. Pack it yourself, they ship and then store it until you're ready.

Leave the fridge. Most apartments will already have one and it will just take up storage space and then not fit the new house (because fridges do that, you know. )
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Leave the fridge. Most apartments will already have one and it will just take up storage space and then not fit the new house (because fridges do that, you know. )
                        The same with washers/dryers.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

How old are the vehicles and in what shape are they? You may be better off selling the one.

I remember Oregon as being very ecologically minded. They had some very strict rules about travel trailers when we went through. Lessons they learned from other states about pollution and keeping their state green.

Comment

When I was living in apartments, fridges were extra. That may have changed.
                            Last edited by DesertBerean; 03-27-2014, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              As part of the process, I tend (just because I'm anal this way) to put the most likely needed items in the lower numbered boxes, so I unpack them accordingly.
                              I might add that I don't SEAL these "lower numbered" boxes til the last minute, and load them onto the truck or in the car last, so they are LIFO.
                              Last edited by Cow Poke; 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment