X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That's kind of... odd. Did the tracks suddenly stop there or something and you need to be transported to where the next line starts?
    Amtrak frequently shares tracks with commercial freight rail - and, depending on the line, the freight trains take priority since they own the tracks (70% of the routes). Some of the tracks are not shared, so that segment is by bus.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Awwww... and some of the "train routes" are mixed - with the train coming to a station, a bus taking everybody to the next point, then back on the train.
    That's kind of... odd. Did the tracks suddenly stop there or something and you need to be transported to where the next line starts?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    so apparently the amtrak station here is just a bus depot.
    Awwww... and some of the "train routes" are mixed - with the train coming to a station, a bus taking everybody to the next point, then back on the train.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    so apparently the amtrak station here is just a bus depot.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I looked into that cross-Canada rail trip and the reviews for the eastern portion weren't too great. The western leg, from Toronto to BC, got rave reviews.
    That's because, western Canada!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I looked into that cross-Canada rail trip and the reviews for the eastern portion weren't too great. The western leg, from Toronto to BC, got rave reviews.
    Finding pretty much the same thing - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Odds are you would be following the TransCanada Highway and it would be more southerly across the country. If you want polar bears you need to go to Churchill, Manitoba to see them. I myself have never seen one in the wild, but we’re only central Alberta. I'd have to go way north to the Yukon or NWT for that.
    That's the one I wanted to take! But I need to get wifey on board and Trudeau out first.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

My idea of a vacation anymore is to visit our daughter and her husband and our Buckwheat. For the day. Otherwise I'm happy in my own house.

Mr. mossy likes to spend 7 hours a day in the car. And with my arthritis getting worse all the time I can't take that sort of all day thing. For days and days. The last time we took a road trip we saw Sparky and OBP.
    That's why I like the train - you don't have to worry about traffic jams (unless your train derails ) and you can get up and walk around while still moving along.
    AND, you never have to worry about being shoehorned into a really tiny seat with no legroom.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Oh and say Hi to Joe Biden and his Amtrak friend if you see them on your journey.
    Joe is up to 1 Trillion Rider Miles now! He's been riding the rails with MLK Jr and Nelson Mandela. And Elvis.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Oh and say Hi to Joe Biden and his Amtrak friend if you see them on your journey.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    So, confession.... about the only time Mrs CP and I ... um.... don't do so well... is vacation planning.
    She always knows what she does NOT want, but seldom can decide what she DOES want.

Just about the time I think we have a game plan, she changes her mind.

HOWEVER, I'm learning to ask, "is that your final answer?", then, "OK, please sign this memo of understanding".
    My idea of a vacation anymore is to visit our daughter and her husband and our Buckwheat. For the day. Otherwise I'm happy in my own house.

Mr. mossy likes to spend 7 hours a day in the car. And with my arthritis getting worse all the time I can't take that sort of all day thing. For days and days. The last time we took a road trip we saw Sparky and OBP.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, confession.... about the only time Mrs CP and I ... um.... don't do so well... is vacation planning.
    She always knows what she does NOT want, but seldom can decide what she DOES want.

Just about the time I think we have a game plan, she changes her mind.

HOWEVER, I'm learning to ask, "is that your final answer?", then, "OK, please sign this memo of understanding".

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Why are you going in November? Wouldn't spring be nicer? Especially through the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Faber View Post
    Chicago and Seattle? You have got to be out of your ever lovin' mind. Why not San Francisco? That's much safer. And make sure you're well armed, and have somebody who is able to take your place at church.
    Laughing --- our plan is to land in Chicago, Uber from the airport to Union Station, then, because we have sleeper car passage, we get to hang out in the fancy schmancy first class lounge at the train station.
    Not spending the night in Chicago.

Then, arriving in Seattle, we just MIGHT stay in the station to catch another train up to wherever that is I'm trying to say -- Vancouver, British Columbia?
    Maybe stay a couple nights there, then fly back to Houston from there.

Leave a comment: