No announcement yet.

Going to England in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, if you have a chance, Bunhill Fields burial ground is another place you might be able to see in London. I just remembered it this morning. A large number of the Dissenters are buried there, Isaac Watts, John Wesley, John Bunyan, etc. We never made it there, sadly.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So many cool places to see and so little time.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Look up a Doctor Who. I hear he lives in a blue box and is a wonderful tour guide.

Comment

Make sure you have adaptors for anything electronic or electric that you need to charge or plug in to operate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Make sure you have adaptors for anything electronic or electric that you need to charge or plug in to operate.
              I brought one for my hair dryer. I have to poof it up or my bald spot shows.

Bill the Cat
              One piece of advice: If you are going to rent a car, be ready to shift your gears on the left (as well as driving on that side of the road). I could not work the left-side manual transmission and had to get an automatic rental, and that was hard to get in Wales. They only kept two at the lot I rented it at - and those were only on hand for Americans, as they told me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I brought one for my hair dryer. I have to poof it up or my bald spot shows.

Bill the Cat
                One piece of advice: If you are going to rent a car, be ready to shift your gears on the left (as well as driving on that side of the road). I could not work the left-side manual transmission and had to get an automatic rental, and that was hard to get in Wales. They only kept two at the lot I rented it at - and those were only on hand for Americans, as they told me.
                so is the clutch on the right or are the pedals the same as in the usa?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

so is the clutch on the right or are the pedals the same as in the usa?
                  Uh.... I honestly can't recall now. This was in 1990.

I believe the pedals were in the standard positions, it was just trying to shift with my left arm that was really awkward - on top of paying attention to driving on the other side of the road.

I was in Swansea, Wales during an horrendous storm, and driving in that rain was worrying me too. Fortunately some American turned in his automatic a day early so I was able to keep from being stranded. I tried to drive out of the rental parking lot with the manual-stick car first and it was scary. I gave up quickly.

Comment

Uh.... I honestly can't recall now. This was in 1990.

I believe the pedals were in the standard positions, it was just trying to shift with my left arm that was really awkward - on top of paying attention to driving on the other side of the road.

I was in Swansea, Wales during an horrendous storm, and driving in that rain was worrying me too. Fortunately some American turned in his automatic a day early so I was able to keep from being stranded. I tried to drive out of the rental parking lot with the manual-stick car first and it was scary. I gave up quickly.
                    Think how I feel as a left-handed guy over here in the states when I had to drive a stick! I actually got used to it though.

So maybe I would do good over in the UK? I would still probably end up driving on the wrong side though. I am slightly dyslexic as it is.

Comment

Think how I feel as a left-handed guy over here in the states when I had to drive a stick! I actually got used to it though.

So maybe I would do good over in the UK? I would still probably end up driving on the wrong side though. I am slightly dyslexic as it is.
                      That reminds me though. Over in Germany everyone seems to drive a stick too. Seems silly to me. Especially in those teeny villages with the small cobblestone streets and lots of car and foot traffic. You are constantly shifting every few seconds.

Comment

That reminds me though. Over in Germany everyone seems to drive a stick too. Seems silly to me. Especially in those teeny villages with the small cobblestone streets and lots of car and foot traffic. You are constantly shifting every few seconds.
                        I was told that nearly everyone in Britain drove a stick, and that was practically all the rental lots carried. Seemed strange to me too. Perhaps one of our Limey posters can verify this.

Comment

I was told that nearly everyone in Britain drove a stick, and that was practically all the rental lots carried. Seemed strange to me too. Perhaps one of our Limey posters can verify this.
                          I think they believe it is more gas efficient or something. But I had both in the past. Stick can be more fun, but not for city driving, and I didn't get better gas mileage.

Comment

From 2021: U.K. Motorists Shift Gears to Automatic Vehicles noting that for the first time more new cars sold that year had an automatic transmission than a manual one.

Another article from 2022 says that "70 per cent of the 31.7 million cars on UK’s roads" have manual transmission.

Reader's Digest says that most of Europe drive manual transmissions with the primary reason being fuel efficiency.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              EvoUK

eider

I'm going to the Huntingdon area in October on a business trip for 2 weeks. Any suggestions if you know the area? Food, entertainment, British things? Thanks gents!
                              No idea, never been, but have a great trip

Comment

A car salesman once said to me that automatics were worth more than manuals. I said, "not when I'm the buyer." Automatics are fine around the cities and on highways, but they're less attractive on roads that aren't well maintained - too easy to get bogged, and a lot more difficult to extract when they are bogged. Also the side issue of - it is relatively easy to start a manual when it has a flat battery.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment