X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Derail: Long Life

Moved topic

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Indeed. Alcoholism is not exactly a path to a long life, but there will be the occasional exception.

I'm trying to remember the name of the Senator who was widely respected for his brilliant mind, but that the tactic one used when debating him was to wait until after lunch to do so. At that point he was typically highly inebriated and not his best. IIRC, he lived to 80 or so.

ETA: Daniel Patrick Moynihan (but he was in his 70s when he died).

I wonder if something like this could be in play:
      There was a TV show called "Dr. G" (I believe) on the Discovery Channel several years ago. She was/is a medical examiner in Florida and had to determine the cause of death for all sorts of unusual demises. A couple of the episodes were fascinating (in a morbid sort of way).

Anyway, there was some guy that died unexpectedly at 60 from an apparent heart attack, and the family was baffled because the guy was a jogger and took care of himself. They thought... Turned out the guy secretly was doing cocaine and had it in his system when he died. Dr. G started explaining how people can get away with abusing their bodies when they are younger, but once they hit right about that age, 60 (for most people) it begins catching up to them.

Also, in regard to Ozzy, the allegedly oldest person to have verifiably lived, Jeanne Louise Calment, smoked cigarettes until she was 117. Allegedly 117. More recent evaluations indicate she assumed her mother's identity for welfare reasons and was possibly 16 years younger than she claimed. But even then, she smoked until she was 101? You just never know.

Comment

I was still typing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

There was a TV show called "Dr. G" (I believe) on the Discovery Channel several years ago. She was/is a medical examiner in Florida and had to determine the cause of death for all sorts of unusual demises. A couple of the episodes were fascinating (in a morbid sort of way).

Anyway, there was some guy that died unexpectedly at 60 from an apparent heart attack, and the family was baffled because the guy was a jogger and took care of himself. They thought... Turned out the guy secretly was doing cocaine and had it in his system when he died. Dr. G started explaining how people can get away with abusing their bodies when they are younger, but once they hit right about that age, 60 (for most people) it begins catching up to them.

Also, in regard to Ozzy, the allegedly oldest person to have verifiably lived, Jeanne Louise Calment, smoked cigarettes until she was 117. Allegedly 117. More recent evaluations indicate she assumed her mother's identity for welfare reasons and was possibly 16 years younger than she claimed. But even then, she smoked until she was 101? You just never know.
          I lost two High School friends to drinking during the Summer of 1990 -- when they were in their early 30s. Not to accidents as you might expect, but to heart attacks.

The one came as no surprise in that he literally became a falling down drunk when he switched from beer to liquor, going from his company's "Golden Boy" to divorced, unemployed and moving back in with his parents in just six months.

But the other guy.

Everyone thought he had quit drinking. He only drank cola at parties -- and no, not spiked. We went to a Comedy Club one night and he drank regular colas all night, but was stopped for a DUI while driving home (his old postal truck could barely do 40mph), and everyone was ready to testify that he hadn't had a drop in 8 hours.

What nobody knew is that he was drinking a bottle of vodka a day starting in the morning and usually done by mid afternoon.

And since you mentioned Ozzy Osbourne, I'll repost what I wrote about him:

Another one that I meant to add was discovered by researchers examining Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne's (the "godfather of heavy metal") genome. Osbourne is well known for living a lifestyle that could well be fatal for anyone else trying to replicate it -- even for a few months. For decades he consumed cocaine for breakfast and drank 4 bottles of cognac each day. During the time he starred on a reality TV show he was consuming up to 25 Vicodin pills every day.

What they found was a previously unknown mutation near his ADH4 gene, a gene that manufactures a protein called alcohol dehydrogenase-4, which breaks down alcohol. The mutation dramatically increased the amount of the protein allowing "Ozzy" to detoxify alcohol at a much faster rate than normal and probably helps break down other toxins as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A neighbor friend of mine died at 59 from liver failure (from what I heard). He was a "functional alcoholic" and did the majority of his drinking at night or weekends. Usually beer, he'd knock down a case in a day, having a six-pack for breakfast. The worst thing for him was when he retired at 58 with a company pension. He drank all the time at that point; lost his marriage and had to move back in with his elderly mother.

I recall reading about Graham Chapman of Monty Python, whose drinking became so bad that while filming The Holy Grail he suffered from DTs and delayed filming several times. The rest of his troupe said they didn't realize he had become that bad (although they knew he drank).

I drank beer pretty heavily in my 20s and 30s. I started taking care of myself at 40. I'm 62 now and feel in good shape but who knows what damage lurks down at the cellular level.

Comment

I lost two High School friends to drinking during the Summer of 1990 -- when they were in their early 30s. Not to accidents as you might expect, but to heart attacks.

The one came as no surprise in that he literally became a falling down drunk when he switched from beer to liquor, going from his company's "Golden Boy" to divorced, unemployed and moving back in with his parents in just six months.

But the other guy.

Everyone thought he had quit drinking. He only drank cola at parties -- and no, not spiked. We went to a Comedy Club one night and he drank regular colas all night, but was stopped for a DUI while driving home (his old postal truck could barely do 40mph), and everyone was ready to testify that he hadn't had a drop in 8 hours.

What nobody knew is that he was drinking a bottle of vodka a day starting in the morning and usually done by mid afternoon.

And since you mentioned Ozzy Osbourne, I'll repost what I wrote about him:

Another one that I meant to add was discovered by researchers examining Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne's (the "godfather of heavy metal") genome. Osbourne is well known for living a lifestyle that could well be fatal for anyone else trying to replicate it -- even for a few months. For decades he consumed cocaine for breakfast and drank 4 bottles of cognac each day. During the time he starred on a reality TV show he was consuming up to 25 Vicodin pills every day.

What they found was a previously unknown mutation near his ADH4 gene, a gene that manufactures a protein called alcohol dehydrogenase-4, which breaks down alcohol. The mutation dramatically increased the amount of the protein allowing "Ozzy" to detoxify alcohol at a much faster rate than normal and probably helps break down other toxins as well.
              One wonders if Keith Richards has something similar going on genetically.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A neighbor friend of mine died at 59 from liver failure (from what I heard). He was a "functional alcoholic" and did the majority of his drinking at night or weekends. Usually beer, he'd knock down a case in a day, having a six-pack for breakfast. The worst thing for him was when he retired at 58 with a company pension. He drank all the time at that point; lost his marriage and had to move back in with his elderly mother.

I recall reading about Graham Chapman of Monty Python, whose drinking became so bad that while filming The Holy Grail he suffered from DTs and delayed filming several times. The rest of his troupe said they didn't realize he had become that bad (although they knew he drank).

I drank beer pretty heavily in my 20s and 30s. I started taking care of myself at 40. I'm 62 now and feel in good shape but who knows what damage lurks down at the cellular level.
                I used to match the two friends who died drink for drink for several years. But I always had what I called the pain/pleasure scale that I employed.

When I started drinking (3rd grade!!) there was no downside. In HS when I was drinking and smoking pot pretty heavily there was still no downside and never even had a hangover until I was 19.

But then things slowly but surely changed.

Hangovers became a thing but all I needed was to roll over and get a half hour's more sleep and I was good to go.

But then it started taking longer and then even with rest I felt crappy.

Slowly but surely the price I was paying started to exceed the pleasure I got out of it.

So I quit.

Quit in the sense of drinking regularly.

I still drank between 5-8 beers a year at certain gatherings and celebrations, but that was it.

After about a decade of that, I started drinking more again and now I might have a shot (rarely two) of brandy 5 to 6 times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

One wonders if Keith Richards has something similar going on genetically.
                  He almost has to.

Comment

Up until about 33/34 I drank fairly moderately, with beer as my only drink of choice. I was mindful of alcoholism running in my family, but a hatred of the feeling of drunkenness largely warded that off. Once I developed celiac, that reduced the options severely as gluten free beer is expensive, and I found I could just go without it. Nowadays it's only when they serve Communion wine.

It was very sobering (pun not intended) when I visited my dying grandfather in the nursing home and he begged my little brother and I to sneak him some beer. I hadn't even known he was an alcoholic growing up, he hid it so well. But his doctor wouldn't even let him go home for Thanksgiving unless I went through his basement and verified there was no hidden alcohol.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I used to match the two friends who died drink for drink for several years. But I always had what I called the pain/pleasure scale that I employed.

When I started drinking (3rd grade!!) there was no downside. In HS when I was drinking and smoking pot pretty heavily there was still no downside and never even had a hangover until I was 19.

But then things slowly but surely changed.

Hangovers became a thing but all I needed was to roll over and get a half hour's more sleep and I was good to go.

But then it started taking longer and then even with rest I felt crappy.

Slowly but surely the price I was paying started to exceed the pleasure I got out of it.

So I quit.

Quit in the sense of drinking regularly.

I still drank between 5-8 beers a year at certain gatherings and celebrations, but that was it.

After about a decade of that, I started drinking more again and now I might have a shot (rarely two) of brandy 5 to 6 times a week.
                      Yeah, I will have a bitter ale sometimes at dinner (bitters help the digestion). I had a margarita last week. Knocked me out. Just a lightweight these days.

I suffer from migraines so I really don't need hangovers to add to them. My old way to battle them was to take aspirin before going to bed after a bender. Always woke up feeling fine.

Comment

I can count the alcohol drinks I have in a year on one hand. I will drink a beer or two every few months. Last time was when I went to German-American festival with some friends last month. I had one mug of beer. Before that, I had a couple of shots of whiskey at Christmas.
                        But when I was a teenager I used to drink a lot. Mostly because all my friends did.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Up until about 33/34 I drank fairly moderately, with beer as my only drink of choice. I was mindful of alcoholism running in my family, but a hatred of the feeling of drunkenness largely warded that off. Once I developed celiac, that reduced the options severely as gluten free beer is expensive, and I found I could just go without it. Nowadays it's only when they serve Communion wine.

It was very sobering (pun not intended) when I visited my dying grandfather in the nursing home and he begged my little brother and I to sneak him some beer. I hadn't even known he was an alcoholic growing up, he hid it so well. But his doctor wouldn't even let him go home for Thanksgiving unless I went through his basement and verified there was no hidden alcohol.
                          That was the only alcohol that my grandmother ever consumed -- up until she was around 80. My aunt and cousin took her to a restaurant/lounge in Atlanta atop one of the taller buildings where she imbibed in a Long Island Ice Tea.

It had no real effect so she made the mistake of ordering a second.

She was like a giddy schoolgirl.

I was 17 and not permitted to go up into the lounge due to my age, but rogue that I am, I sat down at their table just as they were being seated.

rogues can be durn near unstoppable if properly motivated.

I'll add that she lived for some six years longer and never had anything but communion wine again.

Comment

How this thread started was because of Nancy Pelosi's apparent common drunkenness at 82 years of age. Obviously her 82-year-old husband drinks and was busted for DUI, so I would suspect she drinks as well.

But it just seems rather old to be a lush. Is it possible she has some sort of nerve problems that mimic drunkenness? Her spokespeople insist that she doesn't drink alcohol at all.

Comment

How this thread started was because of Nancy Pelosi's apparent common drunkenness at 82 years of age. Obviously her 82-year-old husband drinks and was busted for DUI, so I would suspect she drinks as well.

But it just seems rather old to be a lush. Is it possible she has some sort of nerve problems that mimic drunkenness? Her spokespeople insist that she doesn't drink alcohol at all.
                              Like many powerful people and some not so powerful, Pelosi does not drink publicly. There is a Politifact "fact check" that confirms that she says she does not drink, and has been used to blunt accusations -- that and a bunch of obvious spoof images that get labeled as "deliberate manipulation" () also get used to "debunk" the claim. Of course there are real pictures as well. Not of her guzzling and drunk as a skunk like the fakes, but ones taken by and run in legitimate magazines and newspapers.

20080904125152387_en_1.jpg
                              Like this in the Japanese media while she visited Hiroshima in 2008

f3bc0819-cb67-42f8-a8f2-5b528afae339.jpg
                              In the Middle East around the same time, from the Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA)

There are others but I wanted to be sure that nobody would claim it might be water that has had all of the ice melted in the still frosty glass.

Comment