Sam Adams Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Adams Profile

The mention of American dynasties in a Civics thread got me looking at the Adams family (the single-D variety).

I found it curious that every portrait made of Sam Adams obscures the same side of his face, his left side. I thought maybe he had a jagged scar or large birthmark or something on that side but I can't find mention of anything. Perhaps someone here knows.

Only one exception that looks like a cartoon, or an intentionally unflattering rendition.

adams.jpg

But so "smoothed over" if there was something on that side it could be glossed over -- like royal portraits.

ETA: A close look below the nose and on the lip might be the scar for a harelip.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-14-2022, 01:22 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

But so "smoothed over" if there was something on that side it could be glossed over -- like royal portraits.

ETA: A close look below the nose and on the lip might be the scar for a harelip.
      Yeah, it may have been something like that. I just don't recall seeing a founding father favored to one side so prominently like this. It may be simply a vanity thing, that he didn't like the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yeah, it may have been something like that. I just don't recall seeing a founding father favored to one side so prominently like this. It may be simply a vanity thing, that he didn't like the other side.
        In some cases there is just one picture of someone and all subsequent paintings are based upon it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I like his beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I like his beer.

There's one (a pale ale?) where it seems customary to squeeze some juice from an orange slice in it that is real good.

Always had a draft of it with a hamburger at one of my favorite restaurants that's now permanently closed after Covid.

Comment

I used to drink their seasonals sometimes, back in the pre-celiac days.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I love Oktoberfest ales. I'm pretty sure Sam Adams (the company) brews one.

Comment