Hot air fryers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot air fryers

Our chef son-in-law gave us a hot air fryer for Christmas. Mostly because he wanted to cook broccoli in it for dinner and didn't want to bring his own, and even though I told him I have nowhere to store it.

So. The instructions say I can cook frozen french fries in it. Tried it. Disaster. The instructions are woefully uninformative.

So. he said to use fresh potatoes. So I got myself a Starfrit french fry cutter and cut up some potatoes and tried them. Marginally better than the frozen fries.

Anybody got any tips for cooking ANYTHING in the confounded contraption? There are 9000 different ways to cook fries online and I don't know what else I would ever cook in it. The broccoli was charred and just tasted burned to me.

And the thing sits on my dining room floor BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANYWHERE TO STORE IT!

Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 03:29 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

We "cook" frozen French fries in ours, along with pepper poppers, onion rings ---- I just don't cook them as long as the instructions say. If I want them crisp, I lay them out so they're one layer, and spritz them with some of that spray oil, just lightly, then salt them -- THEN air fry.

Also have done chicken strips to perfection... um... warmed up Pizza so it's not limp and gummy...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      We "cook" frozen French fries in ours, along with pepper poppers, onion rings ---- I just don't cook them as long as the instructions say. If I want them crisp, I lay them out so they're one layer, and spritz them with some of that spray oil, just lightly, then salt them -- THEN air fry.

Also have done chicken strips to perfection... um... warmed up Pizza so it's not limp and gummy...
      Thank you for that advice. I probably cooked the fries too long, so that's good to know. I know that I'm not supposed to spray any of that stuff inside the fryer, but to do it before putting anything in. The instructions on mine said to season everything after instead of before.

Got any tips on where I can store the thing?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Thank you for that advice. I probably cooked the fries too long, so that's good to know. I know that I'm not supposed to spray any of that stuff inside the fryer, but to do it before putting anything in. The instructions on mine said to season everything after instead of before.

Got any tips on where I can store the thing?

How big is it? We have a pantry right next to where we use it, but mainly it just stays on the counter next to the coffee machine.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Also - learned from experience -- if the hot air exhausts out the back (probably does) then keep eye on that back wall - it will tend to get grungy over time with... well... stuff. Fortunately, ours was against a tile back wall, so it was easy to clean, but we were a little surprised how much gung was back there.

Comment

How big is it? We have a pantry right next to where we use it, but mainly it just stays on the counter next to the coffee machine.
            It's pretty big. And my counters aren't that big. I do have limited room.

Also - learned from experience -- if the hot air exhausts out the back (probably does) then keep eye on that back wall - it will tend to get grungy over time with... well... stuff. Fortunately, ours was against a tile back wall, so it was easy to clean, but we were a little surprised how much gung was back there.
            I've used the fryer on top of the stove, because I don't want to use it on the counter. Counter top is fairly new and I don't want to risk ruining it.

Comment

It's pretty big. And my counters aren't that big. I do have limited room.

I've used the fryer on top of the stove, because I don't want to use it on the counter. Counter top is fairly new and I don't want to risk ruining it.
              Stick it in the oven.

Comment

Stick it in the oven.
                It's too big!

Comment

I had an air fryer and like Mossy said, it didn't "fry" very well. I realized it was basically a toaster oven that used a halogen bulb instead of a heating element and had a circulating fan. So I got rid of it and got a real convection toaster oven (black and decker). It cooks better and holds more.

Comment

Yeah, we had a thread on this way back when.

Comment

I feel badly because I don't want to hurt his feelings, but I really wish he hadn't got it for us.
                      Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

This is the toaster over I got:

d70e810d-68a0-4891-9291-1ed92260beca._SR300,300_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...s%2C148&sr=8-5

Comment

I feel badly because I don't want to hurt Kasha's daddy's feelings, but I really wish he hadn't got it for us.
                          Kinda like when people donate stuff to Church. You don't want to hurt their feelings, but it's often not something you'd really use.

Comment

Kinda like when people donate stuff to Church. You don't want to hurt their feelings, but it's often not something you'd really use.
                            Probably the reason they donated it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Probably the reason they donated it in the first place.
                              Scripture Verse: Malachi 1:8

When you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not evil? And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not evil? When you bring broken toys to the nursery, is that not evil? Present that to your governor; will he accept you or show you favor?

© Copyright Original Source

(OK, don't tell Dave L, but I may have added that third sentence. )

Comment