No announcement yet.

New Year 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newfoundland is half an hour weird, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

At a guess - all of them
      I read somewhere that there were 39 different time zones. But two of them cross the International Date Line. Are those two counted twice?
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Newfoundland is half an hour weird, too.
        We expect weird from Canuckistanis.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          We expect weird from Canuckistanis.
          The east, anyway.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Historical "reason" is that around the time of federation South Australia and the Northern Territory should be only half an hour different from the eastern states for commercial convenience. No-one ever explained how, in 1901, it would have made a skerrick of difference to commercial transactions. Eastern time is set by the time-line just off the east coast of Australia, Central time is actually set by the time-line running through the Eastern States. Alice Springs (Northern Territory) is in the middle of the GMT+9 hours zone

Side note: New Zealand was involved in early negotiations to become part of the proposed federation: it was originally considered possible that the capital of the new nation would be located there.

Australia has 5 standard time zones:
            • UTC+8:00: Australian Western Standard Time (AWST)
            • UTC+8:45: Australian Central Western Standard Time (ACWST)
            • UTC+9:30: Australian Central Standard Time (ACST)
            • UTC+10:00: Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST)
            • UTC+10:30: Lord Howe Standard Time (LHST)
            Central Western Standard time is one I never heard of until now.
            so, when you travel across these time lines, does an iPhone or other smart phone automatically adjust to that time zone?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

so, when you travel across these time lines, does an iPhone or other smart phone automatically adjust to that time zone?
              Aside from Central Western time (don't know one way or the other), the changes are automatic - unless you decide that they won't be.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

I read somewhere that there were 39 different time zones. But two of them cross the International Date Line. Are those two counted twice?
                Outside my knowledge.
                The basic step is one hour for every 15 degrees longitude, with the international date line doing a zigzag around some islands.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Error in the prior post about the IDL zigzagging around islands. The international date line creates 3 additional zones, with zigzagging to keep it in international waters as far as possible.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Aside from Central Western time (don't know one way or the other), the changes are automatic - unless you decide that they won't be.
                    Continuing this delightful little derail, it took DECADES for the Soviets to get their clocks back in sync with the rest of the world...

MESSING WITH DAYLIGHT SAVING

For years it has been said that Soviets were behind the times - and now we know!

Red-faced Soviet officials have admitted that they haven't kept the correct time in more than six decades, a mistake dating back to the Stalin era when clocks should have been turned back an hour. In 1930, the Soviets introduced summer time and moved the hands of the clocks one hour ahead - but then did not announce winter time in the fall of 1930. For unknown reasons, summer time was not reintroduced in the spring of 1931.

Then in 1981, summer time was again mandated, giving the country two extra hours of sunlight during the summer months.

So now in a frenzied effort to set things right, officials are skipping the Soviet version of daylight-saving time this summer - but clocks will still "fall back" an hour in the autumn.

In theory at least, this process will put their clocks back in sync.

That means that March 31st, the day on which clocks usually are moved forward an hour for summer time in 11 time zones, was to pass without a time change. The only problem is that in those well-known rebellious republics of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Moldavia - the ones that have rejected communism and want independence - clocks did move ahead just as before.

Even the decision to skip daylight-saving time was made in a time warp. The Soviet Cabinet adopted the change on Feb. 4 but didn't announce it until March 20, only a few days before clocks were to change.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that it explains a lot of things. The Soviets have been out of sync for about 61 years!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Tis 2022 in Australia - well, eastern summer time, anyway.
                      So - Happy New year everyone.

New Year.jpg
                      You missed the opportunity to post something like

"To those where 2022 has not yet arrived. RUN!!! THEY ARE HERE!!! OH NO! THEY ARE AT THE DOOR AND BREAKING IT DOWN! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING! YOU MUST HIDE OR THEY WILL L*_ l;1200irj Helppa2 23 3 grer2."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You missed the opportunity to post something like

"To those where 2022 has not yet arrived. RUN!!! THEY ARE HERE!!! OH NO! THEY ARE AT THE DOOR AND BREAKING IT DOWN! THIS IS YOUR ONLY WARNING! YOU MUST HIDE OR THEY WILL L*_ l;1200irj Helppa2 23 3 grer2."
                        For anyone who didn't do that already, the warning would have been too late.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

For anyone who didn't do that already, the warning would have been too late.
                          Kinda like yelling "duck" just before a nuclear bomb explodes next to you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment