Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    I took Small Engines class in high school, Basically lawnmower engines, building go carts, etc. And I took Home Economics too. It was actually taught by my cousin's husband who was the Football coach. It was a mixed gender class, about half guys and half gals. Learned how to cook, clean, do bills and finances, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Way back in the dark ages, the Boys took "Shop" and the girls took "Home Ec" or "Home Economics".

WAY too practical for today, to be sure, but our "Shop" classes included woodworking, mechanical drawing, auto mechanics, and welding.
    ALL of those classes included things I learned that I have used in my life, and have been WAY more valuable than some of the "British Literature" or or other classes.

As far as I know, the girls learned how to bake, prepare meals, sew, and plan home budgets.

Again, WAY too practical for today, and WAY too sexist, I'm sure!

How bout you? Shop class? Home Ec? Learn anything valuable?
    Shop class: wood, metal, mechanical drawing, plastic.

We didn't have an auto shop.

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Shop. Hated it. I was a nerd and had no interest in it.

I hated metal shop less than wood shop.

Should have taken mechanical drawing. Didn't know what it was. It was a required course when I was a college freshman, and I enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Home Ec.

MelMak took home Ec instead of shop, although he might have taken a bit iof shop, I can’t remember. My daughter took shop, specifically mechanics.

MelMak can cook quite well. Don’t know if he can still run a sewing machine. He might still be able to sew a button on. And he's invaluable in teaching his elderly parents about computer stuff. Which he didn’t learn in Home Ec.

Our B doesn’t cook as much, but she married a trained chef! And her dreams of being a mechanic disappeared when she was 17 and became very sick. But she worked for a mechanic in parts right after taking some courses at a trade school, and worked at a Honda dealership as assistant parts manager until our girl was born. Now she works at a Toyota dealership in parts and shipping and receiving.
    Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 09:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    started a topic "Shop" or "Home Ec" in School?

"Shop" or "Home Ec" in School?

Way back in the dark ages, the Boys took "Shop" and the girls took "Home Ec" or "Home Economics".

WAY too practical for today, to be sure, but our "Shop" classes included woodworking, mechanical drawing, auto mechanics, and welding.
    ALL of those classes included things I learned that I have used in my life, and have been WAY more valuable than some of the "British Literature" or or other classes.

As far as I know, the girls learned how to bake, prepare meals, sew, and plan home budgets.

Again, WAY too practical for today, and WAY too sexist, I'm sure!

How bout you? Shop class? Home Ec? Learn anything valuable?