X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Did your Home Ec teacher ever question why you put nutmeg instead of cinnamon in your apple pie?
    I don't think she cared, and it was a mercy from God that she gave me a good mark on it for its looks without bothering to taste it -- considering I forgot to add the sugar.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

I did take shop only in 7th grade, and then gave up on that and went to home ec. the rest of my school days -- but never gave up on computer studies, having learned to type well in 10th grade. I would be terribly rusty with a sewing machine, only ever having used one in 9th grade and never beyond that. But I could possibly cross-stitch a button. For shop, I basically learned to make isometric sketches, and some basic electronics and photograph processing and I forget what else -- but nothing about woodworking or steel cutting.
    Did your Home Ec teacher ever question why you put nutmeg instead of cinnamon in your apple pie?

Leave a comment:

• The Melody Maker
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Home Ec.

MelMak took home Ec instead of shop, although he might have taken a bit iof shop, I can’t remember.

MelMak can cook quite well. Don’t know if he can still run a sewing machine. He might still be able to sew a button on. And he's invaluable in teaching his elderly parents about computer stuff. Which he didn’t learn in Home Ec.
    I did take shop only in 7th grade, and then gave up on that and went to home ec. the rest of my school days -- but never gave up on computer studies, having learned to type well in 10th grade. I would be terribly rusty with a sewing machine, only ever having used one in 9th grade and never beyond that. But I could possibly cross-stitch a button. For shop, I basically learned to make isometric sketches, and some basic electronics and photograph processing and I forget what else -- but nothing about woodworking or steel cutting.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    When I was in skewl everything on punch cards and as big as three refrigerators.
    Yeah, here's a picture of me trying to get help with my Algebra...

eniac.jpg

I'm the one on the left, you smart-alecs!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I took typing in high school. I already knew I wanted to work with computers. Even though then computers were huge refrigerator sized machines that you entered programs on a teletype machine that was hooked to a paper tape printer.
    When I was in skewl everything on punch cards and as big as three refrigerators.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I took typing in high school. I already knew I wanted to work with computers. Even though then computers were huge refrigerator sized machines that you entered programs on a teletype machine that was hooked to a paper tape printer.
    I wanted to be a cop. But I had no idea how many "shift reports" and "radio logs" and other stuff I'd have to type. So typing did me proud.

Interestingly enough, my Dad was a "clerk typist" for a while in the Army, then Army Air Corps (then the US Air Force), as well as a chaplain's assistant... but he was a "hunt n peck" typist.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yup. Twin brudders from nudder mudder. My favorites were wood and mechanical drawing -- the latter of which I seem to be a bit of a natural at. Most of it was drawing an object from three sides.
    Yeah, I used to know all that, but only remember "isometric".... I'm still pretty good at sketching something I want to build, and I still do woodworking in my shop.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think wood shop and mechanical drawing were my favorites.

LOVED the smell of wood (still do) and the various grains...

For some reason I excelled at mechanical drawing. I wasn't so good with Algebra, but spatial concepts like isometric mechanical drawing.. I LOVED those puzzles where they'd show you a "cut out" of a shape - pyramid, box, complex box... and you got to figure out what it would look like...

Or, they show you a shape and you have to draw it "flattened out"....

shape.jpg
    Yup. Twin brudders from nudder mudder. My favorites were wood and mechanical drawing -- the latter of which I seem to be a bit of a natural at. Most of it was drawing an object from three sides.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I'm still a one hand two finger typist (because I'm often holding something in the other that I'm copying from). The teacher said that she's never passed anyone who types that way. I got a B.

As for the ratio... I sat directly behind the Varsity Cheerleading squad's captain who had a habit of standing up and bending over her typewriter when she reached for the stuff the teacher would hand out to pass down the row.

And when she wore her uni and that miniskirt smiley jawdrop.gif
    Fortunately for me, I had a mean old nasty "slap your hands with a ruler" teacher if you weren't on the "home row" with fingers on the correct keys. Then, about 6 weeks into the class, she started making us type with the typewriters' covers on them, and you had to slip your hands up under the front of the cover, and type.

I actually learned to type correctly, and type faster than most people I know. (now, type faster with no errors? )

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I took typing, too, but only begrudgingly, because they forced me to. The were doing a whole "remedial reading" campaign, and I got kicked out of that because my grades were too goodly, so the plugged me into this typing class.

Then, yeah, sitting in class looking around at 30 girls and I'm the ONLT guy!!!

I argued back then that I'll NEVER need to be a typist, not knowing I would one day start up a computer consulting company where I typed pretty much non-stop every day...
    I'm still a one hand two finger typist (because I'm often holding something in the other that I'm copying from). The teacher said that she's never passed anyone who types that way. I got a B.

As for the ratio... I sat directly behind the Varsity Cheerleading squad's captain who had a habit of standing up and bending over her typewriter when she reached for the stuff the teacher would hand out to pass down the row.

And when she wore her uni and that miniskirt smiley jawdrop.gif

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Wood shop.
    I think wood shop and mechanical drawing were my favorites.

LOVED the smell of wood (still do) and the various grains...

For some reason I excelled at mechanical drawing. I wasn't so good with Algebra, but spatial concepts like isometric mechanical drawing.. I LOVED those puzzles where they'd show you a "cut out" of a shape - pyramid, box, complex box... and you got to figure out what it would look like...

Or, they show you a shape and you have to draw it "flattened out"....

shape.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Shop class: wood, metal, mechanical drawing, plastic.

We didn't have an auto shop.

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.
    I forgot about plastic!!! We got to make some really cool things with Plexiglas.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Shop class: wood, metal, mechanical drawing, plastic.

We didn't have an auto shop.

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.
    I took typing, too, but only begrudgingly, because they forced me to. The were doing a whole "remedial reading" campaign, and I got kicked out of that because my grades were too goodly, so the plugged me into this typing class.

Then, yeah, sitting in class looking around at 30 girls and I'm the ONLT guy!!!

I argued back then that I'll NEVER need to be a typist, not knowing I would one day start up a computer consulting company where I typed pretty much non-stop every day...

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Wood shop.

Leave a comment: