"Shop" or "Home Ec" in School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I took typing in high school. I already knew I wanted to work with computers. Even though then computers were huge refrigerator sized machines that you entered programs on a teletype machine that was hooked to a paper tape printer.
    When I was in skewl everything on punch cards and as big as three refrigerators.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      When I was in skewl everything on punch cards and as big as three refrigerators.
      Yeah, here's a picture of me trying to get help with my Algebra...

eniac.jpg

I'm the one on the left, you smart-alecs!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Home Ec.

MelMak took home Ec instead of shop, although he might have taken a bit iof shop, I can’t remember.

MelMak can cook quite well. Don’t know if he can still run a sewing machine. He might still be able to sew a button on. And he's invaluable in teaching his elderly parents about computer stuff. Which he didn’t learn in Home Ec.
        I did take shop only in 7th grade, and then gave up on that and went to home ec. the rest of my school days -- but never gave up on computer studies, having learned to type well in 10th grade. I would be terribly rusty with a sewing machine, only ever having used one in 9th grade and never beyond that. But I could possibly cross-stitch a button. For shop, I basically learned to make isometric sketches, and some basic electronics and photograph processing and I forget what else -- but nothing about woodworking or steel cutting.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post

I did take shop only in 7th grade, and then gave up on that and went to home ec. the rest of my school days -- but never gave up on computer studies, having learned to type well in 10th grade. I would be terribly rusty with a sewing machine, only ever having used one in 9th grade and never beyond that. But I could possibly cross-stitch a button. For shop, I basically learned to make isometric sketches, and some basic electronics and photograph processing and I forget what else -- but nothing about woodworking or steel cutting.
          Did your Home Ec teacher ever question why you put nutmeg instead of cinnamon in your apple pie?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Did your Home Ec teacher ever question why you put nutmeg instead of cinnamon in your apple pie?
            I don't think she cared, and it was a mercy from God that she gave me a good mark on it for its looks without bothering to taste it -- considering I forgot to add the sugar.
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I don't think she cared, and it was a mercy from God that she gave me a good mark on it for its looks without bothering to taste it -- considering I forgot to add the sugar.
              But you did add nutmeg! That saved it!

Did you bring that one home for us to try? I remember the "so sugar" episode, but don't remember if you brought it home.

And that's still not as bad as when your Auntie G forgot to add sugar to the Thanksgiving pumpkin pie!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Ah, the tasting! It was always good to be friends with a girl who's doing the baking in Home Eco, and needed a test subject for the product. I was OFTEN 'quality control'.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I took my first -- maybe only -- computer class (Fortran) as a sophomore at Penn State. Punch cards. Meanwhile, my roommate at the time had a personal computer (maybe a Heathkit) in our dorm room. The silliness of that inconsistency only now strikes me.

(He was a fun roommate. Meteorology major, zany personality, bits of Curly Howard and Chris Farley. Now an ELCA pastor.)
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I took typing. I don't recall why. It was pass/fail, and I passed.

Forty+ years later, I can still touch-type if necessary. Don't even need to look at the screen. Only problem is when certain keys are too sensitive or too insensitive. I get missing letters or double letters.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Did you bring that one home for us to try? I remember the "no sugar" episode, but don't remember if you brought it home.
                      I did bring it home. You and Mr. mossy and sister found out before I did.
                      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

Fight spam!

Comment

I did bring it home. You and Mr. mossy and sister found out before I did.

I don't think you've made apple pie since. But you do make a mean dark chocolate chocolate chip pecan toffee cookie!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I forgot about plastic!!! We got to make some really cool things with Plexiglas.
                          Here, we did a little bit of that in an "arts and crafts" class. I was "ok" at that stuff -- better than shop.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I think wood shop and mechanical drawing were my favorites.

LOVED the smell of wood (still do) and the various grains...

For some reason I excelled at mechanical drawing. I wasn't so good with Algebra, but spatial concepts like isometric mechanical drawing.. I LOVED those puzzles where they'd show you a "cut out" of a shape - pyramid, box, complex box... and you got to figure out what it would look like...

Or, they show you a shape and you have to draw it "flattened out"....

shape.jpg
                            I was unexpectedly good at "spatial relations" (those "shapes" things as in your drawing) and "mechanical reasoning" (If this rod moves this direction, which way does that gear way over there turn?). I was in the 90-something percentile in each of those in my "Differential Aptitude Test" in Eighth Grade.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Shop class: wood, metal, mechanical drawing, plastic.

We didn't have an auto shop.

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.
                              Took home ec, wood shop, metal shop, a business math type class, BASIC, and typing. Still can't sew worth anything, but I've used almost everything else (haven't really worked with metal much, though I did some soldering in the Navy). I used to create and edit batch files in DOS.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I forgot about plastic!!! We got to make some really cool things with Plexiglas.
                                What I learned that quarter allowed me to open my first business. A "friend" of mine and I made "sneeze screens" for a number of restaurant's salad bars, dividers for the meat and produce departments for Cub Food and A&P (both later moved out of the area) and made magazine racks for a the offices of a large doctor's group.

I had a few things I had to go to Florida for a few days and when I returned my partner had sold all our equipment and supplies and disappeared. Dang near put me into bankruptcy.

Took me nearly two years to track him down (he now had several warrants including for bank fraud) living in the mountains about an hour away. I scoped the place out (not much more than a whitewashed shack) and confirmed he lived there. I also noticed the steps from the back door leading to the woods I knew he'd run for when the cops showed up and made an adjustment to one of the steps.

I then made the call to the local cops.

Being a relatively sleepy town and him having a bank fraud warrant along with over half a dozen others, the sheriff came out pretty quick. And as predicted "Moose" made a break for the woods.

Did I say break?

Yup. One of the steps twisted as he ran down them, dropping his leg down through the stairs and causing him to fall forward resulting in his tibia breaking.

The police had no trouble carting him off.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment