"Shop" or "Home Ec" in School?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shop" or "Home Ec" in School?

Way back in the dark ages, the Boys took "Shop" and the girls took "Home Ec" or "Home Economics".

WAY too practical for today, to be sure, but our "Shop" classes included woodworking, mechanical drawing, auto mechanics, and welding.
    ALL of those classes included things I learned that I have used in my life, and have been WAY more valuable than some of the "British Literature" or or other classes.

As far as I know, the girls learned how to bake, prepare meals, sew, and plan home budgets.

Again, WAY too practical for today, and WAY too sexist, I'm sure!

How bout you? Shop class? Home Ec? Learn anything valuable?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Home Ec.

MelMak took home Ec instead of shop, although he might have taken a bit iof shop, I can’t remember. My daughter took shop, specifically mechanics.

MelMak can cook quite well. Don’t know if he can still run a sewing machine. He might still be able to sew a button on. And he's invaluable in teaching his elderly parents about computer stuff. Which he didn’t learn in Home Ec.

Our B doesn’t cook as much, but she married a trained chef! And her dreams of being a mechanic disappeared when she was 17 and became very sick. But she worked for a mechanic in parts right after taking some courses at a trade school, and worked at a Honda dealership as assistant parts manager until our girl was born. Now she works at a Toyota dealership in parts and shipping and receiving.
    Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 09:04 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Shop. Hated it. I was a nerd and had no interest in it.

I hated metal shop less than wood shop.

Should have taken mechanical drawing. Didn't know what it was. It was a required course when I was a college freshman, and I enjoyed it.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Way back in the dark ages, the Boys took "Shop" and the girls took "Home Ec" or "Home Economics".

WAY too practical for today, to be sure, but our "Shop" classes included woodworking, mechanical drawing, auto mechanics, and welding.
        ALL of those classes included things I learned that I have used in my life, and have been WAY more valuable than some of the "British Literature" or or other classes.

As far as I know, the girls learned how to bake, prepare meals, sew, and plan home budgets.

Again, WAY too practical for today, and WAY too sexist, I'm sure!

How bout you? Shop class? Home Ec? Learn anything valuable?
        Shop class: wood, metal, mechanical drawing, plastic.

We didn't have an auto shop.

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I took Small Engines class in high school, Basically lawnmower engines, building go carts, etc. And I took Home Economics too. It was actually taught by my cousin's husband who was the Football coach. It was a mixed gender class, about half guys and half gals. Learned how to cook, clean, do bills and finances, etc.

Comment

Wood shop.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I also took typing (only two guys with 30 girls ) and "bachelor living" (Home Ec for boys).

They also had "Business Math" which was all about keeping a checkbook, doing taxes and the like.
              I took typing, too, but only begrudgingly, because they forced me to. The were doing a whole "remedial reading" campaign, and I got kicked out of that because my grades were too goodly, so the plugged me into this typing class.

Then, yeah, sitting in class looking around at 30 girls and I'm the ONLT guy!!!

I argued back then that I'll NEVER need to be a typist, not knowing I would one day start up a computer consulting company where I typed pretty much non-stop every day...
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I forgot about plastic!!! We got to make some really cool things with Plexiglas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Wood shop.
                  I think wood shop and mechanical drawing were my favorites.

LOVED the smell of wood (still do) and the various grains...

For some reason I excelled at mechanical drawing. I wasn't so good with Algebra, but spatial concepts like isometric mechanical drawing.. I LOVED those puzzles where they'd show you a "cut out" of a shape - pyramid, box, complex box... and you got to figure out what it would look like...

Or, they show you a shape and you have to draw it "flattened out"....

shape.jpg

Comment

I took typing, too, but only begrudgingly, because they forced me to. The were doing a whole "remedial reading" campaign, and I got kicked out of that because my grades were too goodly, so the plugged me into this typing class.

Then, yeah, sitting in class looking around at 30 girls and I'm the ONLT guy!!!

I argued back then that I'll NEVER need to be a typist, not knowing I would one day start up a computer consulting company where I typed pretty much non-stop every day...
                    I'm still a one hand two finger typist (because I'm often holding something in the other that I'm copying from). The teacher said that she's never passed anyone who types that way. I got a B.

As for the ratio... I sat directly behind the Varsity Cheerleading squad's captain who had a habit of standing up and bending over her typewriter when she reached for the stuff the teacher would hand out to pass down the row.

And when she wore her uni and that miniskirt smiley jawdrop.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm still a one hand two finger typist (because I'm often holding something in the other that I'm copying from). The teacher said that she's never passed anyone who types that way. I got a B.

As for the ratio... I sat directly behind the Varsity Cheerleading squad's captain who had a habit of standing up and bending over her typewriter when she reached for the stuff the teacher would hand out to pass down the row.

And when she wore her uni and that miniskirt smiley jawdrop.gif
                      Fortunately for me, I had a mean old nasty "slap your hands with a ruler" teacher if you weren't on the "home row" with fingers on the correct keys. Then, about 6 weeks into the class, she started making us type with the typewriters' covers on them, and you had to slip your hands up under the front of the cover, and type.

I actually learned to type correctly, and type faster than most people I know. (now, type faster with no errors? )

Comment

I think wood shop and mechanical drawing were my favorites.

LOVED the smell of wood (still do) and the various grains...

For some reason I excelled at mechanical drawing. I wasn't so good with Algebra, but spatial concepts like isometric mechanical drawing.. I LOVED those puzzles where they'd show you a "cut out" of a shape - pyramid, box, complex box... and you got to figure out what it would look like...

Or, they show you a shape and you have to draw it "flattened out"....

shape.jpg
                        Yup. Twin brudders from nudder mudder. My favorites were wood and mechanical drawing -- the latter of which I seem to be a bit of a natural at. Most of it was drawing an object from three sides.

Comment

Yup. Twin brudders from nudder mudder. My favorites were wood and mechanical drawing -- the latter of which I seem to be a bit of a natural at. Most of it was drawing an object from three sides.
                          Yeah, I used to know all that, but only remember "isometric".... I'm still pretty good at sketching something I want to build, and I still do woodworking in my shop.

Comment

I took typing in high school. I already knew I wanted to work with computers. Even though then computers were huge refrigerator sized machines that you entered programs on a teletype machine that was hooked to a paper tape printer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I took typing in high school. I already knew I wanted to work with computers. Even though then computers were huge refrigerator sized machines that you entered programs on a teletype machine that was hooked to a paper tape printer.
                              I wanted to be a cop. But I had no idea how many "shift reports" and "radio logs" and other stuff I'd have to type. So typing did me proud.

Interestingly enough, my Dad was a "clerk typist" for a while in the Army, then Army Air Corps (then the US Air Force), as well as a chaplain's assistant... but he was a "hunt n peck" typist.

Comment