What's your advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your advice?

As a fairly new grandpa, I find myself looking back over the advice of those who came before me. Many words of wisdom that didn't make sense at the time. If you could give only 1 piece of advice to your child/grand child/someone you love, what would it be?

Rules:

1) Keep it clean.
    2) No debating in this thread
    3) No insulting anyone else's advice.

Just wanting to provide a thread that didn't turn into a mud-fest.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I'll start.

We only have a set amount of time on earth. Before you know it, you'll be looking back on most of it. Live life where you can look back with as few regrets as possible.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You don't have to win every battle to win the war. Ask yourself, occasionally, "is this the hill I want to die on"?

Also --- thinking how to say this.... stress that HONESTY is far more important than "rules". If you break a rule, and are HONEST about it, there can be leniency. If you break a rule and LIE about it, there will be a hot time in the ol' town tonight.

Sometimes, we pretty much back our kids into a corner and make them lie because of the fear of the consequences for telling the truth.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My advice is to grandpas, and grandmas, and aunts and uncles for that matter: Remember it's somebody else's job to say no.

Spoil them rotten.

Comment

For the kids, let 'em know no matter how badly they screwed up, you're still there for them. In the end, no matter what words of wisdom you give them, until they take ownership of them, it's not their wisdom. Guide them and support them sure, but make them come up with the solutions themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            I'll start.

We only have a set amount of time on earth. Before you know it, you'll be looking back on most of it. Live life where you can look back with as few regrets as possible.
            I often conclude Christian funerals by saying --- "Remember - live your life so the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
              My advice is to grandpas, and grandmas, and aunts and uncles for that matter: Remember it's somebody else's job to say no.

Spoil them rotten.
              Working ever so diligently on that.
              That's what
              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Make memories!

We often took our grandkids - one at a time - on trips for vacation.
                For many of them, it was the first time on an airplane, the first time at a National Park, the first time out of the State of Texas...

We can afford to do things with our grandkids that we couldn't do with our kids.

I lived in Ohio for a time when I was younger (Dad was Army Air Corps, and we moved a lot).

Ohio has a lot of little "soft serve ice cream" places - walk up to the window, order ice cream cones, or whatever.

Texas has Dairy Queen.

So, we'd fly into Cleveland, rent a car, then it's about 2 hours to my Dad's house, and the rule was "any time you seen an ice cream stand, we can stop and get ice cream".

Ryleigh had to try to outdo her older sister who had been with us on a prior trip. Heidi had 5 stops at ice cream places, so Ryleigh did 6, got sick as a dog, and didn't eat ice cream for a month.

BUT, she had the time of her life and still talks about that today - nearly 20 years later.

Comment

Reassure the child every chance you get that your love for them will never cease, no matter what.

Teach them critical thinking, and not to go along with everything that the news tells them, or that the teachers tell them, but to do their own research with unbiased sources and come to their own conclusions.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Don't pull Granpa's finger.

Comment

Remember that the city of Happiness is in the state of Mind.

Comment

Don't tug on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind, don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger, and don't mess around with Slim.

Comment