No announcement yet.

Police Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago, it was becoming a common practice for burglars to read the obituaries, and time their burglaries when they knew the family was either at "the viewing" or the funeral itself.

We actually got a tipoff from one of our informants that there would be a break-in related to the funeral of a man who had a rather impressive gun collection. The detective, myself, and one other cop arranged to have ourselves hidden in the house during the viewing, as that was the supposed target window of time.

I was in the living room behind a large set of drapes covering the back sliding glass door. Detective was in the garage, just outside the kitchen, and the other officer was standing in the bathtub of the master bedroom, behind the shower curtain.

Sure enough, we heard the back door glass break, and two guys came in. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them moving about.

We could hear them opening and closing doors, and bumbling around, but they couldn't seem to find the guns, which were in a normally locked closet that we had arranged to leave unlocked.

We could already get them for breaking and entering, but we wanted to get them with the weapons, especially a fully operational machine gun for which the owner possessed the proper licensing. That was their goal.

One of the guys was at one end of the house, and the other was at the other end, and I heard one of them yell "I can't find it!"

I took a big risk, and yelled in a muffled voice "check the master bedroom closet".

One of the guys yelled, "what did you say", but the other guy yelled, "never mind - I found them!"

We all appeared, guns drawn, and not surprisingly, the bad guys quickly pointed their guns (the ones they picked up from the closet) at us, including the Mac 10 machine gun.

The detective asked, "do you guys really believe we'd leave loaded weapons for you to find and use against us?"

They lowered "their" weapons, surrendered, and were taken into custody. Subsequently it was discovered that they had been involved in no less than 7 other burglaries.

(They never figured out that it was "somebody else" who yelled "check the master bedroom closet" )

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

AND some room for some of the biggest "cop show" screwups....

NCIS and Blue Bloods are two of my current favorite cop shows.

For the most part, they seem to have legitimate "police acting" - things seem real enough that thy must have good advisors on the set.

The one glaring messup that I hate - but I guess it's necessary to the plot - is when they're outdoors, maybe a downtown, and they see their suspect a block away, and one of them yells.... "JOHN WILSON - Stop right there!!!!"

Naturally, he breaks and runs, and the chase is on!!!!!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        AND some room for some of the biggest "cop show" screwups....

NCIS and Blue Bloods are two of my current favorite cop shows.

For the most part, they seem to have legitimate "police acting" - things seem real enough that thy must have good advisors on the set.

The one glaring messup that I hate - but I guess it's necessary to the plot - is when they're outdoors, maybe a downtown, and they see their suspect a block away, and one of them yells.... "JOHN WILSON - Stop right there!!!!"

Naturally, he breaks and runs, and the chase is on!!!!!
        Yeah they do that in all of the cop shows. I guess so they can have a chase scene. Seems pretty stupid to yell their name or "police" while they are still across a busy street or several yards away.

Working at a law firm I also cringe at the court room scenes where the lawyers inevitably start speechifying at the witness instead of asking them questions. Or use very leading questions. And the other side doesn't even object. And of course they always get a confession.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah they do that in all of the cop shows. I guess so they can have a chase scene. Seems pretty stupid to yell their name or "police" while they are still across a busy street or several yards away.

Working at a law firm I also cringe at the court room scenes where the lawyers inevitably start speechifying at the witness instead of asking them questions. Or use very leading questions. And the other side doesn't even object. And of course they always get a confession.
          And, as we have noted before, after being caught speechifying,

opposing attorney - "objection, your honor, counsel is TESTFYING"
          Judge "sustained! Counsel will stop testifying, and the jury will disregard what he said!"

(sure they will)

Comment

One of my jiu-jitsu instructors is a cop. He's a good instructor.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

And, as we have noted before, after being caught speechifying,

opposing attorney - "objection, your honor, counsel is TESTFYING"
              Judge "sustained! Counsel will stop testifying, and the jury will disregard what he said!"

(sure they will)
              That part actually happens. The bit about the attorney slipping something in and then the judge tells the jury to ignore it. I was on a jury where that happened. We didn't ignore it either.

Comment

That part actually happens. The bit about the attorney slipping something in and then the judge tells the jury to ignore it. I was on a jury where that happened. We didn't ignore it either.
                Absolutely - it happens all the time! You just have to be careful not to get too far out of line or the Judge can call you on contempt.

I used to watch (what's the show with Tony from NCIS) where they did it all the time as a tactic, then would smile and say "yeah, they're not gonna forget THAT".

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  One of my jiu-jitsu instructors is a cop. He's a good instructor.
                  I took jiu-jitsu way back in the day from a cop who was a master black belt both in that and Karate.

Comment

I took jiu-jitsu way back in the day from a cop who was a master black belt both in that and Karate.
                    I'm brand new and so consequently am an uncoordinated buffoon on the mat, by and large, but it's been good so far.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Absolutely - it happens all the time! You just have to be careful not to get too far out of line or the Judge can call you on contempt.

I used to watch (what's the show with Tony from NCIS) where they did it all the time as a tactic, then would smile and say "yeah, they're not gonna forget THAT".
                      Bull.

Comment

Bull.
                        I just can't get used to Tony becoming "Jason Bull" --- I keep seeing "Tony".

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post

I'm brand new and so consequently am an uncoordinated buffoon on the mat, by and large, but it's been good so far.
                          I took Jujitsu when I was a teenager. Only got to yellow belt (or maybe green?). Later I took Shaolin do (kung fu) and made it to 1st degree brown belt (1 below black). Had to stop because I moved to a new town.

Comment

I took Jujitsu when I was a teenager. Only got to yellow belt (or maybe green?). Later I took Shaolin do (kung fu) and made it to 1st degree brown belt (1 below black). Had to stop because I moved to a new town.
                            I really wish I had never stopped - I felt SO much better and in better shape then. (And, yeah, green belt)

Comment

I really wish I had never stopped - I felt SO much better and in better shape then. (And, yeah, green belt)
                              The fundamentals have stayed with me, though, so I have a fair degree of confidence when I find myself in a bad situation - like that guy who tried breaking into our house in Colorado.
                              I didn't doubt for a minute that I could 'take him' if it came to that.

Comment

Me too. I was digging through my basement about a week ago and found my old nunchucks! I still remember how to use them without giving myself a concussion.
                                I stopped when I was still in my 20s and wish I continued.

If you have Netflix, look up a movie called Paper Tigers. It's about three guys who used to study martial arts and then moved on with their lives, until their old Sensei is killed and they have to get back together to avenge him. Kind of action comedy.

Comment