X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

We traveled the country, cause Dad was military, but he settled into a job with Ford Motor in Ohio and worked there for a zillion years, retiring from there.
    It's the only job he ever had after WWII.

I've had a bunch of jobs, often at the same time. My favorite secular job was running my own computer consulting firm which I did for nearly 25 years.
    My dad was in the military too, but he retired when we were in high school.

I did have a side job as a freelance graphic and website designer for a while. I liked the work but I was never good at "sales" and so I wasn't very good at promoting myself. Just word of mouth mostly. It was a good side gig though.

I have always been a bit of a Jack-of-All-Trades type of fellow. I like to know how things work and started taking apart TVs and Radios as a kid. I also loved art and graphics. and computers. So I went to school for Electronics and Computers, and then for Graphic Arts. Never really could settle on one thing. But my current job sort of combines everything, graphic design, computers, video editing, and electronics.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have only had 4 jobs since getting out of school. Just had my 16 year anniversary at my current job.
    We traveled the country, cause Dad was military, but he settled into a job with Ford Motor in Ohio and worked there for a zillion years, retiring from there.
    It's the only job he ever had after WWII.

I've had a bunch of jobs, often at the same time. My favorite secular job was running my own computer consulting firm which I did for nearly 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

When I was a kid, your job was pretty much your identity (as others have alluded) where you would work for the same company from High School through retirement.
    I have only had 4 jobs since getting out of school. Just had my 16 year anniversary at my current job.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

Absolutely! I can remember a time when folks who had held lots of job were looked down upon........... were labelled 'can't keep a job'.
    When I was a kid, your job was pretty much your identity (as others have alluded) where you would work for the same company from High School through retirement.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And then it became one of the best ways to move up.
    How times can change, eh?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Absolutely! I can remember a time when folks who had held lots of job were looked down upon........... were labelled 'can't keep a job'.
    And then it became one of the best ways to move up.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    For many years THE employer where I live is an aircraft plant and the joke was that you don't ever retire because you'll be dead within two years.

This was a time when the vast majority of people got a job and stayed with it until retirement. Now, most folks move from job to job, often completely changing their profession. I think that allows people to think of themselves as more than just their job description if for no other reason their job description varied.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Yes..... absolutely.
    Years ago a recently retired gentleman had worked in milk-bottle production all his life. All the neighbours knew that it didn't matter what they spoke to him about, somehow milk-bottle production would 'fly' into the conversation and he would be off, explaining how glass thickness could be controlled...etc etc etc...... He was gone in less than a year.
    For many years THE employer where I live is an aircraft plant and the joke was that you don't ever retire because you'll be dead within two years.

This was a time when the vast majority of people got a job and stayed with it until retirement. Now, most folks move from job to job, often completely changing their profession. I think that allows people to think of themselves as more than just their job description if for no other reason their job description varied.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Particularly in the past, for many men their identity was tied into their jobs. Ask them to tell you about themselves and they tell you what they do for a living.

When they retired many simply lost all purpose and effectively wasted away.
    Yes..... absolutely.
    Years ago a recently retired gentleman had worked in milk-bottle production all his life. All the neighbours knew that it didn't matter what they spoke to him about, somehow milk-bottle production would 'fly' into the conversation and he would be off, explaining how glass thickness could be controlled...etc etc etc...... He was gone in less than a year.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Ah, yes..... I remember so many old timber stevedores and watermen who longed for their pensions, dreaming of being able to sit down and laze through their days .......... so many of them died within a few months of retiring.
    I am retired, but so far this year I have put up a line of fencing, relayed our huge flat roof, serviced the front roof, and am now preparing to rip the timber front off our old porch and reface it. I also walk three miles to the supermarket every day on any excuse. I try to keep going.
    Particularly in the past, for many men their identity was tied into their jobs. Ask them to tell you about themselves and they tell you what they do for a living.

When they retired many simply lost all purpose and effectively wasted away.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied

It's all relative.

I remember the first time I saw a water cooled motorcycle - with an actual radiator in front of the engine.

I believe I will always "do something" - even after I retire. I have seen way too many people retire and go sit on the front porch and fall apart, or just become grumpy old farts not happy about anything.
    Ah, yes..... I remember so many old timber stevedores and watermen who longed for their pensions, dreaming of being able to sit down and laze through their days .......... so many of them died within a few months of retiring.
    I am retired, but so far this year I have put up a line of fencing, relayed our huge flat roof, serviced the front roof, and am now preparing to rip the timber front off our old porch and reface it. I also walk three miles to the supermarket every day on any excuse. I try to keep going.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I believe I will always "do something" - even after I retire. I have seen way too many people retire and go sit on the front porch and fall apart, or just become grumpy old farts not happy about anything.
    In second grade, my best friend and mine's goal were to become dirty old men when we got old,

Of course, at that age, we didn't exactly understand what that meant. We thought it meant sitting on the front porch and yelling at the kids to "GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!1!"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    When I finally decided to get rid of my vespa for UK travel to courses I purchased a car...... a Fiat Cinqecento ........ total luxury after sitting on a vespa for hours.
    It's all relative.

I like to hear Indians and Harleys cruising up our High street, but they are so huge now, and with motors of nearly two litres. Two of my friends have Harleys but I've got over any dreams about them.
    I remember the first time I saw a water cooled motorcycle - with an actual radiator in front of the engine.

What an interesting life that must have been. I retired in 2010 and a mate gave me a part-time job cleaning carpets; I went on a cleaner manufacturer's course and then just worked the local area...... loved it, and was home every night. I gave that up in 2015 when my wife got ill and after her long convalescence I didn't restart.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Knowing a few hardcore bikers in my time, I don't think that was intended as a compliment
    Hah hah ....
    His face was a picture as he said that. Straining under all control possible as he searched for anything to say...to a customer.

I won't do it, but it would be a dream to roll up outside for next year's MOT on a vast 2 litre Harley or Indian and tell him.... Oh, yeah...it grew up!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Update:-
    I've had my electric 'vespa' for well over 1.5 years now, and at three years of age it has just passed its first 'Ministry of Transport' safety test. I was worried about that test because the local motorcycle shop is run by 'heavy' bikers who I thought would grunt at mopeds and spit fire over silly little electric things. Well, they did, but they were very polite about it. The chief mechanic, an ex sidecar champion looked at it for several seconds and then, determined to be positive, he said ........'My mate's mum might like one of those!'
    Knowing a few hardcore bikers in my time, I don't think that was intended as a compliment

Leave a comment: