X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eider
    replied
    Update!
    It's been two years now, and so far I've been lucky because the scooter has not broken down and it passed it's first Ministry-of-Transport test back in May.
    In addition to that I reached 75yrs a month ago and although expecting a massive jump in insurance premiums, that didn't happen and I still pay under £80 a year.

That's the end of the good news...... here comes all the rest.

The batteries.......! Mine are working fine, but because of truly shocking news reports of how dreadful lithium fires are I put both of mine in a converted store in the back garden including charging facilities. But many bus, rail, tube services have now banned any bikes/scooters that have lithiums because of the super heated fires that they can cause, and now they are being banned from certain buildings. Each artisan battery is five times larger than an e-bike battery, and after watching an e-bike turn 'incendiary' I can guess what an artisan fire would look like.

Here is a post from an e-motorbike group by a Las Vegas artisan owner who has just discovered that he isn't allowed to take his batteries in to the security of his flat. I don't think he can continue with a battery powered bike and stay in the same place!

This:-
    Sorry, I posted this earlier, but inside someone else's post by accident... I'm guessing not since I'm not seeing any posts about it here, but anyone ever had their batteries catch fire? I'm in Los Angeles, about to move into a rental apartment downtown and the building has banned all ebikes and electric scooters, for fear of fires. I'm reading about the new laws passed in NYC regarding batteries needing to be UL certified and the stories of batteries catching fire in people's living rooms. It's making me wonder if I've made a mistake purchasing my scooter (Aventura-X but the same scooter as Artisan)... but I'm seeing people here talk about having their scooters now for several years and no issues. I noticed my batteries aren't UL-certified (or any other certification). Anyone have any safety advice?
    The thing is, I haven't got anything to offer which might help. He cannot leave those batteries outside the building on his aventura-artisan because of their very high value, nor can he charge them out there. I think he's had it with the whole project. I don't know what UL-certification is, by the way.

So here we are, with all e-scooters, mopeds, bikes being banned from travel services and many buildings, with (certainly) more to be included soon.
    The Insurers haven't all caught up with this yet because my insurance didn't go up this month and my machine is covered for all fire damage, but you can bet that the insurers will wake up fairly soon!

Why am I telling you this ? Well, this month our government decided to put back it's plans to halt production of IC vehicles from 2030 to 2035, and with the value dropping out of e-vehicles and no further development of safer and efficient batteries on the horizon it's fairly obvious that the battery risks are one of the main reasons.

We do believe that the climate is changing, most of us believe that human dirt is accelerating that, we do want to clean up our acts........ but we don't know how we can do that just yet. I've enjoyed riding my artisan , and ownership has kept me in touch with so many of the problems around the IC/E transition. And I couldn't sell the artisan to buy an E-bike now because I wouldn't even put it in our entrance porch after watching videos of these exploding in to furnaces. At least the artisan is out on the drive.

So in the UK it looks as if our vehicle transitioning has just taken a kick in the guts.
    Last edited by eider; 09-23-2023, 01:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Do you do forensic analysis?
    Not officially, but I have used forensic programs and devices to restore hard drive data and I have a forensic sound program that can do some neat things like filter out noise, separate sounds, and frequency analysis.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

My dad was in the military too, but he retired when we were in high school.

I did have a side job as a freelance graphic and website designer for a while. I liked the work but I was never good at "sales" and so I wasn't very good at promoting myself. Just word of mouth mostly. It was a good side gig though.

I have always been a bit of a Jack-of-All-Trades type of fellow. I like to know how things work and started taking apart TVs and Radios as a kid. I also loved art and graphics. and computers. So I went to school for Electronics and Computers, and then for Graphic Arts. Never really could settle on one thing. But my current job sort of combines everything, graphic design, computers, video editing, and electronics.
    Do you do forensic analysis?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

We traveled the country, cause Dad was military, but he settled into a job with Ford Motor in Ohio and worked there for a zillion years, retiring from there.
    It's the only job he ever had after WWII.

I've had a bunch of jobs, often at the same time. My favorite secular job was running my own computer consulting firm which I did for nearly 25 years.
    My dad was in the military too, but he retired when we were in high school.

I did have a side job as a freelance graphic and website designer for a while. I liked the work but I was never good at "sales" and so I wasn't very good at promoting myself. Just word of mouth mostly. It was a good side gig though.

I have always been a bit of a Jack-of-All-Trades type of fellow. I like to know how things work and started taking apart TVs and Radios as a kid. I also loved art and graphics. and computers. So I went to school for Electronics and Computers, and then for Graphic Arts. Never really could settle on one thing. But my current job sort of combines everything, graphic design, computers, video editing, and electronics.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have only had 4 jobs since getting out of school. Just had my 16 year anniversary at my current job.
    We traveled the country, cause Dad was military, but he settled into a job with Ford Motor in Ohio and worked there for a zillion years, retiring from there.
    It's the only job he ever had after WWII.

I've had a bunch of jobs, often at the same time. My favorite secular job was running my own computer consulting firm which I did for nearly 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

When I was a kid, your job was pretty much your identity (as others have alluded) where you would work for the same company from High School through retirement.
    I have only had 4 jobs since getting out of school. Just had my 16 year anniversary at my current job.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by eider View Post

Absolutely! I can remember a time when folks who had held lots of job were looked down upon........... were labelled 'can't keep a job'.
    When I was a kid, your job was pretty much your identity (as others have alluded) where you would work for the same company from High School through retirement.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And then it became one of the best ways to move up.
    How times can change, eh?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Absolutely! I can remember a time when folks who had held lots of job were looked down upon........... were labelled 'can't keep a job'.
    And then it became one of the best ways to move up.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    For many years THE employer where I live is an aircraft plant and the joke was that you don't ever retire because you'll be dead within two years.

This was a time when the vast majority of people got a job and stayed with it until retirement. Now, most folks move from job to job, often completely changing their profession. I think that allows people to think of themselves as more than just their job description if for no other reason their job description varied.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Yes..... absolutely.
    Years ago a recently retired gentleman had worked in milk-bottle production all his life. All the neighbours knew that it didn't matter what they spoke to him about, somehow milk-bottle production would 'fly' into the conversation and he would be off, explaining how glass thickness could be controlled...etc etc etc...... He was gone in less than a year.
    For many years THE employer where I live is an aircraft plant and the joke was that you don't ever retire because you'll be dead within two years.

This was a time when the vast majority of people got a job and stayed with it until retirement. Now, most folks move from job to job, often completely changing their profession. I think that allows people to think of themselves as more than just their job description if for no other reason their job description varied.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied
    Particularly in the past, for many men their identity was tied into their jobs. Ask them to tell you about themselves and they tell you what they do for a living.

When they retired many simply lost all purpose and effectively wasted away.
    Yes..... absolutely.
    Years ago a recently retired gentleman had worked in milk-bottle production all his life. All the neighbours knew that it didn't matter what they spoke to him about, somehow milk-bottle production would 'fly' into the conversation and he would be off, explaining how glass thickness could be controlled...etc etc etc...... He was gone in less than a year.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Ah, yes..... I remember so many old timber stevedores and watermen who longed for their pensions, dreaming of being able to sit down and laze through their days .......... so many of them died within a few months of retiring.
    I am retired, but so far this year I have put up a line of fencing, relayed our huge flat roof, serviced the front roof, and am now preparing to rip the timber front off our old porch and reface it. I also walk three miles to the supermarket every day on any excuse. I try to keep going.
    Particularly in the past, for many men their identity was tied into their jobs. Ask them to tell you about themselves and they tell you what they do for a living.

When they retired many simply lost all purpose and effectively wasted away.

Leave a comment:

• eider
    replied

It's all relative.

I remember the first time I saw a water cooled motorcycle - with an actual radiator in front of the engine.

I believe I will always "do something" - even after I retire. I have seen way too many people retire and go sit on the front porch and fall apart, or just become grumpy old farts not happy about anything.
    Ah, yes..... I remember so many old timber stevedores and watermen who longed for their pensions, dreaming of being able to sit down and laze through their days .......... so many of them died within a few months of retiring.
    I am retired, but so far this year I have put up a line of fencing, relayed our huge flat roof, serviced the front roof, and am now preparing to rip the timber front off our old porch and reface it. I also walk three miles to the supermarket every day on any excuse. I try to keep going.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I believe I will always "do something" - even after I retire. I have seen way too many people retire and go sit on the front porch and fall apart, or just become grumpy old farts not happy about anything.
    In second grade, my best friend and mine's goal were to become dirty old men when we got old,

Of course, at that age, we didn't exactly understand what that meant. We thought it meant sitting on the front porch and yelling at the kids to "GIT OFFA MY LAWN!!!1!"

Leave a comment: