Learning Japanese on Duolingo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    Well, the older textbooks are often cheaper, but if paying any price is too much I would recommend checking out your library's catalog. They may have it (the book I suggested is at my library) and you can of course get them for free there.
    We don't use the libraries around here anymore. Not only are books pretty much impossible to sanitize properly(I have immune system issues), but I have a strange issue where reading things on paper gives me a headache. I have a rather rare condition that is capable of some strange things. There is also the factor that I need a certain amount of interaction in order to distract my mind from the pain my condition causes, which textbooks are not capable of providing.

I do appreciate the suggestions, but it just wouldn't work too well in my situation.

Comment

または、Google翻訳を使用することもできます。

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Don't put the horse before the deer.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That would be too easy. I want to actually understand what I'm typing in without doing things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That would be too easy. I want to actually understand what I'm typing in without doing things like that.
            Not to mention that, as much improved as Google Translate is over years past, it still has a ways to go. よろこんで comes back as "happy," which is in the ball-park, but doesn't quite make it to the 江戸弁 "my pleasure."
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

First, Engrish must you learn.

Comment

First, Engrish must you learn.
                Well, some sentences in Japanese are formulated like that compared to their English equivalents. I really can't blame some of these things mixed up in translating.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Not to mention that, as much improved as Google Translate is over years past, it still has a ways to go. よろこんで comes back as "happy," which is in the ball-park, but doesn't quite make it to the 江戸弁 "my pleasure."
                  The quality of Google Translate depends heavily on language. It's really good, for example, with Spanish and English. I'm guessing that comes from the fact the two languages are similar and also the fact that, due to their high popularity, they get much more attention than Japanese.

Makes me curious how good the Chinese/English translation on it is. The languages are obviously rather different, but in terms of how many people speak it natively, Chinese is #1.

Comment

Well, some sentences in Japanese are formulated like that compared to their English equivalents. I really can't blame some of these things mixed up in translating.
                    If you have firefox, try the 10ten free extension (until recently it was called rikaichan). It's a mouse-over dictionary addon, drawing on some high powered dictionaries. Word translation is only one of its features.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

If you have firefox, try the 10ten free extension (until recently it was called rikaichan). It's a mouse-over dictionary addon, drawing on some high powered dictionaries. Word translation is only one of its features.
                      I don't have firefox, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I might as well put a progress report here. I've made it to the third test.

私は毎日日本語を勉強しています*。

If I finish up today's lesson I'll have an unbroken streak of 84 days of using Duolingo to learn Japanese.

*I hope that is right, I am still not quite getting how to end sentences. I had to use google translate to grab "を" because it is not listed in the symbols available for the "o" sound with Windows 10 Japanese keyboard option.

Comment

I don't have firefox, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I might as well put a progress report here. I've made it to the third test.

私は毎日日本語を勉強しています*。

If I finish up today's lesson I'll have an unbroken streak of 84 days of using Duolingo to learn Japanese.

*I hope that is right, I am still not quite getting how to end sentences. I had to use google translate to grab "を" because it is not listed in the symbols available for the "o" sound with Windows 10 Japanese keyboard option.
                        を is "wo"
                        私は毎日日本語を勉強しています。
                        =
                        I am studying Japanese every day. (I study = 勉強します). If there is a difference between the two, しています leans a bit (just a shade) more toward diligence in study.
                        Note: 私は is grammatically correct, but not natural. 「 毎日日本語を勉強しています 」 is natural.

八十四日間おめでとう。
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well, I've reached 125 days worth of five lessons on Duolingo for Japanese. One day I skipped, but I did double the normal the day after to make up for it.

Comment

Well, I've reached 125 days worth of five lessons on Duolingo for Japanese. One day I skipped, but I did double the normal the day after to make up for it.
                            so, are you...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One day I skipped
                              You made the owl very sad.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

so, are you...

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

You made the owl very sad.
                                I just payed him some lingots as hush money and he stopped squawking.

Comment