X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    No, the weather is very in Florida. You can drive in a straight line for a couple miles and go through alternating bands of sunny and rainy. And I'll never forget playing in the sun on the one side of the street while it was raining fairly hard on the other.

Yup. Weather is very in Florida.
    Ah yes - We have a point in Adelaide where the same phenomenon can often be observed, on the western side of the airport.

It's like being pregnant. You are either perfect or you're not. There are no degrees.
    In contemporary English, agreed - it doesn't SEEM that the same can be said of past usages. However, it is not only the weather that I've heard to be "very." "The holiday," and "the party" also have been so described. You have to check the speaker's facial expression to determine whether the interpretation is "terrific" by current usage or that of 100+ years past.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That phrase is in the Florida dialect? Say it isn't so Ethel.
    No, the weather is very in Florida. You can drive in a straight line for a couple miles and go through alternating bands of sunny and rainy. And I'll never forget playing in the sun on the one side of the street while it was raining fairly hard on the other.

Yup. Weather is very in Florida.

Don't see a problem with "more perfect," - "more" corresponds with "closer to" and "perfect" with "complete." It's a rare usage these days, but by no means obsolete (if only as a set phrase.)
    It's like being pregnant. You are either perfect or you're not. There are no degrees.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Indeed it was. Especially if you ever lived in Florida.
    That phrase is in the Florida dialect? Say it isn't so Ethel.

Our constitution contains the phrase "in order to form a more perfect union."
    Don't see a problem with "more perfect," - "more" corresponds with "closer to" and "perfect" with "complete." It's a rare usage these days, but by no means obsolete (if only as a set phrase.)

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I just realised that we are way off topic. Maybe shift the offending parts to the duolingo thread?
    Kinda realized the same thing as I hit respond to your last post

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Try parsing "The weather was very."
    Indeed it was. Especially if you ever lived in Florida.

Our constitution contains the phrase "in order to form a more perfect union."

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    I just realised that we are way off topic. Maybe shift the offending parts to the duolingo thread?

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    The use of "very impossible" tends to suggest that the translation wasn't perfect -- or very perfect
    Try parsing "The weather was very."

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

The general translation for "muri" is "impossible" but context throws it to "unreasonable" (or equivalent) quite often - the "totemo" (very) makes "impossible" an unreasonable translation - "kanari" (quite) would leave it open to either.
    The use of "very impossible" tends to suggest that the translation wasn't perfect -- or very perfect

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I think I understand that, but sometimes it takes longer to truly "stick" in my mind.
    Usually the と should have a leading verb - so 無理ですと思います - but what you have is fine for casual speech.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Came out as "I think it's very impossible" when I highlighted it and clicked the little blue Google translate box that appeared by it
    The general translation for "muri" is "impossible" but context throws it to "unreasonable" (or equivalent) quite often - the "totemo" (very) makes "impossible" an unreasonable translation - "kanari" (quite) would leave it open to either.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Came out as "I think it's very impossible" when I highlighted it and clicked the little blue Google translate box that appeared by it
    "Impossible" is one of the meanings of "無理", so it wasn't entirely wrong.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I think I understand that, but sometimes it takes longer to truly "stick" in my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

You got it right. In direct quotes the "to" there is equivalent to quote marks - "X," I (or someone) said/thought/wondered etc. or in indirect quotes to "that" - I (etc) said (etc) that X.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

とても無理と思います。*
    Not sure if I got that one quite right. I always forget when to use "だ" before "と思います".

*For those who can't read Japanese, that should be "I think it is very unreasonable".
    You got it right. In direct quotes the "to" there is equivalent to quote marks - "X," I (or someone) said/thought/wondered etc. or in indirect quotes to "that" - I (etc) said (etc) that X.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

同感です。It defies logic.
    とても無理と思います。*
    Not sure if I got that one quite right. I always forget when to use "だ" before "と思います".

*For those who can't read Japanese, that should be "I think it is very unreasonable".

Leave a comment: