American Sign Language - How Precise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Sign Language - How Precise?

I've always been fascinated with sign language.

Particularly, when somebody is singing a song that has a lot of emotion in it, and somebody else is signing. Very expressive.

But I wonder if there have ever been any studies as to the precision of the communication (which, obviously, will vary with the the signer).

For example....

Person A gives instructions or makes a speech.
    Person B stands there signing.
    Person C sits watching the signer, unable to hear the speech, getting all his/her information from the signer.
    Person D hears the speech as delivered without paying attention to the signer.

Persons C and D are then asked to recount what Person A actually said.

Would there be a notable difference in what Persons C and D recounted?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

We used to have someone that was part of the Deaf community (not sure if they're still around). Hopefully they'll weigh in if they are.

My understanding is that, similar to any sort of translation, it depends on the setting and how critical exact translation is. An active interpreter may paraphrase, and/or they may have a prepared script to know what's coming and when so that more of the particulars are conveyed.

So the answer is generally 'yes', but not always.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I wish I can answer...but I was not taught any kind of sign language at the school for the deaf. That came to them after I left.

To be clear, the signs used in songs are part of Singing Sign, not ASL as such

ASL is very similar in grammar to Spanish in my experience - where the noun very often comes after the verb in indirect construction. An Spanish interpreter told us in class that witnesses he was interpreting for often gave details that did not translate well into English because of this tendency, and had to be asked to be more precise. Same thing happens in ASL because of its structure.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I took a sign language class a LONG time ago. From what I remember, they don't have specific signs for every little word, like "the" - but if needed they can spell it out with letters. so it is not a word for word translation usually, but it CAN be if needed. And I don't think the signs distinguish future tense, past tense and so on. So saying "My father opened a book" it might sign as "father open book" and then add in a time like "yesterday" if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I took a sign language class a LONG time ago. From what I remember, they don't have specific signs for every little word, like "the" - but if needed they can spell it out with letters. so it is not a word for word translation usually, but it CAN be if needed. And I don't think the signs distinguish future tense, past tense and so on. So saying "My father opened a book" it might sign as "father open book" and then add in a time like "yesterday" if needed.
          Yeah, that's pretty much the way I understand it. I have preached often using a translator, and I often wondered how accurately he was representing me, cause sometimes I'd say almost a whole paragraph, and he'd say three words, or the other way around.

I think that's why I like the sign language with a song - you know (or probably know) what the song is saying, and the sign language simply (or beautifully) adds to it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I wish I can answer...but I was not taught any kind of sign language at the school for the deaf. That came to them after I left.

To be clear, the signs used in songs are part of Singing Sign, not ASL as such
            That makes a lot of sense

ASL is very similar in grammar to Spanish in my experience - where the noun very often comes after the verb in indirect construction. An Spanish interpreter told us in class that witnesses he was interpreting for often gave details that did not translate well into English because of this tendency, and had to be asked to be more precise. Same thing happens in ASL because of its structure.
            I was told by one of our (whatever the current proper terminology is for) deaf ministry people that she hated it when I told a joke during a sermon cause it was really hard to get that into sign language with any real meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I was told by one of our (whatever the current proper terminology is for) deaf ministry people that she hated it when I told a joke during a sermon cause it was really hard to get that into sign language with any real meaning.
              so basically when you are telling a joke, you probably notice the interpreter using the same sign over and over:

Comment

I can sing most of "Happy Birthday" using sign language.

Anyone else remember the fake sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral who just made it up as he went?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Anyone else remember the fake sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's funeral who just made it up as he went?
                  Wasn't he also a criminal?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

it was all just part of the Great Delusion

Comment

He was pretty smooth.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Yeah. Caused a fuss since he ended up standing next to Obama.

I'll let the jokes write themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The problems of ASL are basically the problems of translation in general. It is a separate language, not "English for the deaf."
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Even the most gifted interpreter would have a challenge with jokes. It depended on what kind of exposure the audience would have to the kind of joke that is being shared. Even more so than someone from another language because hearing is so key to learning the humor of the culture you live in.
                            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                              Even the most gifted interpreter would have a challenge with jokes. It depended on what kind of exposure the audience would have to the kind of joke that is being shared. Even more so than someone from another language because hearing is so key to learning the humor of the culture you live in.
                              Yeah, there's that, too. I still wonder if sign language is less precise than spoken language to spoken language translation. Some seem to indicate yes.

Comment