Full Service Gas Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Service Gas Stations

How many of you have NEVER been to a full service gas station?

I'm talking about the kind of gas station where you pulled up to the pump, ran over a rubber hose that rang a bell in the gas station, and an employee actually came out and asked how much gas you wanted, then, while the gas was pumping, checked your oil, washed your windshield, etc....

These stations were in abundance when I started driving, but I really welcomed the "self service" aspect of those stations that eventually implemented it.

At first, it seems all gas stations were full service, then some of those added self service areas, then most seem to have become entirely self service.

Most of the time I don't even speak to an "attendant" or cashier... I just pay at the pump, fill my tank, and go.

But, back to the question.... How many of you have NEVER been to a full service gas station?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Ofc, you can't pump your own gas in Oregon, so I talk to the attendant every time. I've been to one or two that washed the windshield, but that's really rare.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

My Dad used to own a full service station, and I spent summers pumping gas and washing windshields.

So, yes, I have not never been to a full service station.

There is only one in my town now. It's great!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

Ofc, you can't pump your own gas in Oregon, so I talk to the attendant every time. I've been to one or two that washed the windshield, but that's really rare.
        That was a real blast from the past for me when I visited Oregon some years ago.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

New Jersey is the same way.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

There used to be a few around the town I used to live in, but I think they are gone now (not been there in years) - I do remember they charged about a nickel more per gallon for the full service.

Comment

for real? Is that a law that you can't pump your own gas?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                New Jersey is the same way.
                Interesting - didn't know that! We did a drive through the New England states, and down the coast, but I guess I didn't get gas in Jersey.

OK, so I just found this...

Jason lives in New Jersey, where the state legislature decided in 1949 that "because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures."

Higgins lives in Oregon, where a similar law was passed in 1951, supported by a whopping 17 declarations rationalizing the prohibition of "any person other than the owner, operator or employee [of a dispensary where class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail]" from using "pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container." Violating this law can get Higgins and his fellow Oregonians slapped with a $500 fine.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-07-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  There used to be a few around the town I used to live in, but I think they are gone now (not been there in years) - I do remember they charged about a nickel more per gallon for the full service.
                  Several stations around here offer full service, but they do charge more for the gas.

The one station that I go to does not charge more for the gas if you get full service. They also offer self serve, but I will get full service every time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Interesting - didn't know that! We did a drive through the New England states, and down the coast, but I guess I didn't get gas in Jersey.

OK, so I just found this...

Jason lives in New Jersey, where the state legislature decided in 1949 that "because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures."

Higgins lives in Oregon, where a similar law was passed in 1951, supported by a whopping 17 declarations rationalizing the prohibition of "any person other than the owner, operator or employee [of a dispensary where class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail]" from using "pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container." Violating this law can get Higgins and his fellow Oregonians slapped with a $500 fine.
                    I didn't know that was the reasoning behind it. I've always been told it was a jobs thing.

IIRC, they made some changes a year or so ago allowing people to pump their own gas at night in places that aren't open 24/7.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Still a handful around here. One is across the street from where I used to work until 3 months ago.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I didn't know that was the reasoning behind it. I've always been told it was a jobs thing.

IIRC, they made some changes a year or so ago allowing people to pump their own gas at night in places that aren't open 24/7.
                        But, then again, maybe it's NOT the reason! Maybe they CLAIMED that was the reason because they didn't want to admit it was a "jobs thing"!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          When I was first driving all stations were full service so there was no price difference.

How many remember gas price wars?
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            But, then again, maybe it's NOT the reason! Maybe they CLAIMED that was the reason because they didn't want to admit it was a "jobs thing"!
                            I'm not sure Oregon would have any qualms about just saying it's a jobs things.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              When I was first driving all stations were full service so there was no price difference.

How many remember gas price wars?
                              Gas wars were so much fun! Especially when there were 2 or more gas stations on one corner or intersection. The reactions were pretty immediate and drastic. I think the lowest per gallon price I remember was 19.9 cents.

Comment