Churchy Words and Phrases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchy Words and Phrases

Been thinking a lot lately about "churchy words" and phrases we tend to use that may have little or no meaning to the unchurched.
    We are beginning, once again, to see unchurched people come into our congregation.
    Many of them don't have the background to know why David said "Create in me a clean heart" or that the "tent of meeting" preceded the Tabernacle.

So, another round of "churchy words"....

One of my favorites "I walked the aisle" -- meaning I "went forward" to answer the "invitation".
    One can "walk the aisle" at Walmart.

I "gave asked Jesus to come into my heart" - no foundation in scripture.

I "went to the church" - meaning the building, not the people, when the building is most certainly not "the church".

Got some other examples? Or comments on these?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Been thinking a lot lately about "churchy words" and phrases we tend to use that may have little or no meaning to the unchurched.
    We are beginning, once again, to see unchurched people come into our congregation.
    Many of them don't have the background to know why David said "Create in me a clean heart" or that the "tent of meeting" preceded the Tabernacle.

So, another round of "churchy words"....

One of my favorites "I walked the aisle" -- meaning I "went forward" to answer the "invitation".
    One can "walk the aisle" at Walmart.

I "gave asked Jesus to come into my heart" - no foundation in scripture.

I "went to the church" - meaning the building, not the people, when the building is most certainly not "the church".

Got some other examples? Or comments on these?
    I think even non-Christians would have little difficulty understanding the meaning of the latter two.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't see what's wrong with calling a physical building a church. That's the main dictionary definition of a church. It doesn't mean Christians can't also use the word in a different sense.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't see what's wrong with calling a physical building a church.
        Nor do I.

That's the main dictionary definition of a church. It doesn't mean Christians can't also use the word in a different sense.
        True enough, but the emphasis for a Christian is that "the Church" is the body of believers, not the building itself.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, I give up - I thought this would be something fun.

Comment

It's In The Book
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQA6tBYAvms
            When I Survey....

Comment

I found this early on: If someone said, "did you hear about Joe, bless his heart..." You knew some gossip about Joe was coming....
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"The Lord laid something on my heart"

"Give your burdens to the Lord"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  "The Lord laid something on my heart"
                  That's one of my favorite - or, "The Lord told me to tell you...." And I respond... "That's funny, I talked to him for an hour this morning, and He didn't say anything about that".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's one of my favorite - or, "The Lord told me to tell you...." And I respond... "That's funny, I talked to him for an hour this morning, and He didn't say anything about that".
                    all that churchy jargon is a real turnoff for new believers. They have no idea what you are talking about. Especially when people go around acting like they are chat buddies with God. They wonder why they don't hear anything from God, are they really saved? Are they not listening? I remember all that from when I first became a Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

all that churchy jargon is a real turnoff for new believers. They have no idea what you are talking about. Especially when people go around acting like they are chat buddies with God. They wonder why they don't hear anything from God, are they really saved? Are they not listening? I remember all that from when I first became a Christian.
                      And that was the point of the thread.... as we get more "unchurched" people coming to church, we need to realize we have our own "insider" language -- like many industries and social clubs and professions have.

Comment

I remember hearing about "praying for a hedge of protection", which, while I got an explanation for just always sounded silly to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          I remember hearing about "praying for a hedge of protection", which, while I got an explanation for just always sounded silly to me.
                          Ah, yes.... Job 1:10 ESV / 76 helpful votes Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land.

And - I got SO TIRED of "The Prayer of Jabez" -- it was EVERYWHERE!!!! When they would say "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory!" I wanted to yell back "you can't even manage what you HAVE!"

Comment

Those last things are along the lines of "I have a word from the Lord for you", which isn't a thing.

I would use a great quote from Justin Peters, "If you want to hear God speaking, read the Bible. If you want to hear Him speaking audibly, read it out loud".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Those last things are along the lines of "I have a word from the Lord for you", which isn't a thing.

I would use a great quote from Justin Peters, "If you want to hear God speaking, read the Bible. If you want to hear Him speaking audibly, read it out loud".
                              On the other hand, there have been times where I have been praying for God's will about a situation, and a friend would just happen to mention, "oh, by the way, I was thinking about..." and there would be some good guidance there, then somebody else would be talking to me and say, "have you ever thought about....." and there would be some more guidance.... and it felt like God was steering me in a particular direction.

I'm always careful, however, to make sure it's not akin to confirmation bias --- I'm hearing what I want to hear.

And, in none of those cases was it a "God told me to tell you" or "I have a word from the Lord"....

Comment