Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Was the Last Time You Went to the Mall?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When Was the Last Time You Went to the Mall?

    When I was a kid, "the Mall" was a fairly new concept. I remember the anticipation as they were building the new Mall, and it was going to have Sears and Dillards and Penney's and other "anchor stores", and whole lot of smaller shops.

    I remember the very first Chick-Fil-A sandwich I had - back when they were pretty much "mall based", before going to self-standing locations with great big long drive-thru lanes.

    And the food court! I always liked to stroll the food court where so many people were offering free samples of the various food choices - I always liked the Chinese place offering General Tso's Chicken.

    I used to love to go because SEARS was there, and that was the only place you could get Craftsman Tools - and it didn't take long to figure out the best place to park to come in the door nearest the Craftsman section of Sears.

    Now -- it's been ages. Can't remember the last time I've been in a mall, but I do remember there seemed to be very little traffic, and lots of big stores (and small) closed.
    And nowhere NEAR as difficult to find a parking spot.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    Our mall has been torn down to make little strip mall things. I only go to a mall in a town near me to go to Bath and Body Works, anymore. Everything else is strip malls or big box stores.

    I think the last time I went to BBW was last November.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Our mall has been torn down to make little strip mall things. I only go to a mall in a town near me to go to Bath and Body Works, anymore. Everything else is strip malls or big box stores.

      I think the last time I went to BBW was last November.
      Yeah, they seem to be phasing out. Our nearest mall is 30 miles away, and there's ONE store in there I will visit occasionally, and they have a Mexican Restaurant I like. Other than that, there are "walkers" who visit frequently in jogging outfits, and the mall even has "mile markers" for those who want to walk.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        I live within "walking distance" of a large mall and it's been over five years maybe ten since I've been inside. I've been in several stores and offices that surround it as well as restaurants. But I do kinda miss the food court. Getting a chocolate milk shake to go with my three tacos (meat & cheese only) and slice of pizza or something similar

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #5
          We had a nearby mall, but it was turned into a Bass Pro shop. I miss being able to go to the arcade there, they had some cool stuff. Last time I was in a mall was probably the last time I was in Florida, which has been many years now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

            Yeah, they seem to be phasing out. Our nearest mall is 30 miles away, and there's ONE store in there I will visit occasionally, and they have a Mexican Restaurant I like. Other than that, there are "walkers" who visit frequently in jogging outfits, and the mall even has "mile markers" for those who want to walk.
            Yup. Mall walking is a thing, still, where big malls continue to exist. I might be more likely to go to one once in a while if there were one closer to me, but a lot of the stores are specialty stores in which I am not interested.


            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mossrose View Post

              Yup. Mall walking is a thing, still, where big malls continue to exist. I might be more likely to go to one once in a while if there were one closer to me, but a lot of the stores are specialty stores in which I am not interested.
              I used to go to the Mall because they would have a couple (sometimes even three!) bookstores.

              Anything else they have I usually go to Walmart or Target for.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I used to go to the Mall because they would have a couple (sometimes even three!) bookstores.

                Anything else they have I usually go to Walmart or Target for.
                Yeah. I think Walmart killed our mall.


                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I live within "walking distance" of a large mall and it's been over five years maybe ten since I've been inside. I've been in several stores and offices that surround it as well as restaurants. But I do kinda miss the food court. Getting a chocolate milk shake to go with my three tacos (meat & cheese only) and slice of pizza or something similar
                  The neat thing back then about the food court --- If I wanted Chinese food and my wife wanted a sub sandwich - we could both get what we want, then sit down in the common dining area.
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    We had a nearby mall, but it was turned into a Bass Pro shop. I miss being able to go to the arcade there, they had some cool stuff. Last time I was in a mall was probably the last time I was in Florida, which has been many years now.
                    Ah, yes -- I got banned from the mall's arcade way back then, because I'd monopolize the Donkey Kong machine -- playing for 2 or 3 hours on a quarter. They, at that time, figured a quarter should last 7 minutes tops, then take somebody else's quarter.
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                      Ah, yes -- I got banned from the mall's arcade way back then, because I'd monopolize the Donkey Kong machine -- playing for 2 or 3 hours on a quarter. They, at that time, figured a quarter should last 7 minutes tops, then take somebody else's quarter.
                      I vaguely remember being kicked out of an arcade back in the late 70s or so but I'm sure it was likely for an entirely different reason

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I used to go to the Mall because they would have a couple (sometimes even three!) bookstores.

                        Anything else they have I usually go to Walmart or Target for.
                        Yeah, I pretty much only went to the mall for books, music, and shoes. For a while now, you've been able to find better selection and lower prices from your comfy chair on the interwebz. I still prefer buying shoes in-store, because I'm picky about finding comfortable shoes that fit and returning shoes purchased online is too much hassle. I like buying clothes in-store for the same reason, but since COVID hit you can't try stuff on in-store either.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Last one I went to a mall was about 2 years ago to get a new pair of glasses at Lens Crafters. In and out. Before that, was about 5 years ago, when I went to the Apple Store because I had to get a cracked phone screen replaced.

                          I never liked "going to the mall" - not even when they were popular. I am the sort of guy who just wants to go and get what I need and leave, not having to walk 3 miles just to find the store inside a mall.

                          When Amazon came out I was one of the first ones to start buying everything online, way before it became popular. Even before that, I would buy computer stuff mail-order.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yeah, I pretty much only went to the mall for books, music, and shoes. For a while now, you've been able to find better selection and lower prices from your comfy chair on the interwebz. I still prefer buying shoes in-store, because I'm picky about finding comfortable shoes that fit and returning shoes purchased online is too much hassle. I like buying clothes in-store for the same reason, but since COVID hit you can't try stuff on in-store either.
                            My new shoes from Amazon arrived today! I, too, had been very reluctant to buy shoes online, because I want to know they fit.

                            Lately, however, Amazon has made "returns" very easy - I don't even have to package stuff up -- just take it to my local shipping station (on the way to work) and they box it up and send it off.

                            But these shoes -- OH some comfortable!!!!
                            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Last one I went to a mall was about 2 years ago to get a new pair of glasses at Lens Crafters. In and out. Before that, was about 5 years ago, when I went to the Apple Store because I had to get a cracked phone screen replaced.

                              I never liked "going to the mall" - not even when they were popular. I am the sort of guy who just wants to go and get what I need and leave, not having to walk 3 miles just to find the store inside a mall.

                              When Amazon came out I was one of the first ones to start buying everything online, way before it became popular. Even before that, I would buy computer stuff mail-order.
                              That is typical "guy" shopping. I call it "hit-n-get."

                              My favorite example is from the 90s while on lunch a week before Christmas I risked going to one of the big malls for a Christmas gift at one of the anchor stores (Rich's well before Macy's bought them out) which was about three blocks from where I worked then.

                              I literally hit every green light straight into the mall and found a parking space right by the outside entrance (someone was just backing out). The escalator up was about 150-200' in and literally it ended right in front of a display f what I wanted with just a couple left. I grabbed one and since they had "kiosks" you could pay at throughout the store, I hit the one by the down escalator just as they opened the second register (I think I was second in line), paid and left.

                              All in IIRC 10 maybe 15 minutes after "going to lunch." And given it was a week before Christmas that mall and store was packed full.

                              That has been my benchmark for how shopping is done ever since.
                              Last edited by rogue06; 05-05-2021, 02:15 PM.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Cerebrum123, Yesterday, 11:08 AM
                              15 responses
                              40 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post siam
                              by siam
                               
                              Started by NorrinRadd, 06-14-2021, 12:23 PM
                              11 responses
                              56 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Stoic
                              by Stoic
                               
                              Started by The Melody Maker, 04-06-2017, 09:23 PM
                              339 responses
                              58,711 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cerebrum123  
                              Started by seer, 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM
                              6,839 responses
                              358,590 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Darth Executor, 10-27-2014, 08:09 PM
                              12,501 responses
                              1,101,412 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Working...
                              X