I am the parent of two teenage squirrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am the parent of two teenage squirrels

The mother squirrel was found dead at the bottom of a tree. She had made a nest inside the tree for her two babies. I watched her do it.

They are older than babies now, I judge them to be teenagers.

They were without their mother for several days and I started to feed them, putting food in a bowl at the bottom of the tree, along with a bowl of water.

They wait for the food each day.

I am concerned that if I continue to feed them they will not learn to fend for themselves and will die.

Have any of you been in this situation? If so, do you have any advice?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Christian3; 05-02-2021, 11:50 AM.

There should be a wildlife rescue kind of place that is local to you, and they would be the most qualified to answer that.
    We similarly took in a baby squirrel once, and ended up dropping it off with the wildlife rescue people because it was so little. If they are old enough to be weaned, you might want to put out a squirrel feeder of some sort to make sure they have access to food.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
      There should be a wildlife rescue kind of place that is local to you, and they would be the most qualified to answer that.
      We similarly took in a baby squirrel once, and ended up dropping it off with the wildlife rescue people because it was so little. If they are old enough to be weaned, you might want to put out a squirrel feeder of some sort to make sure they have access to food.
      Thank you for the advice.

Comment

If a bird feeder is cheaper just get one of those because squirrels have no trouble accessing them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If a bird feeder is cheaper just get one of those because squirrels have no trouble accessing them
          True. People usually have to go to great lengths to keep squirrels out of those. My dad had a section of 4" PVC pipe around the pole our bird feeder was on when I was a kid. The squirrels couldn't climb up it and would just slide down.

Comment

True. People usually have to go to great lengths to keep squirrels out of those. My dad had a section of 4" PVC pipe around the pole our bird feeder was on when I was a kid. The squirrels couldn't climb up it and would just slide down.
            Lucky they weren't NSA. Such things are hardly obstacles.

squirrel skydive.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Lucky they weren't NSA. Such things are hardly obstacles.

squirrel skydive.gif

This was actually pretty close to where you live now. Maybe they were, but they were only in training?

Comment

This was actually pretty close to where you live now. Maybe they were, but they were only in training?
                Nope. Because

A. You saw them
                2- They failed
                c) You saw them fail.

Ordinary squirrels.

Comment

Nope. Because

A. You saw them
                  2- They failed
                  c) You saw them fail.

Ordinary squirrels.
                  I'm surprised you allow ordinary squirrels on your turf... err, trees, I mean.

Comment

I'm surprised you allow ordinary squirrels on your turf... err, trees, I mean.
                    As the host of this year's annual Squirrel Appreciation Day Jamboree which we called Squirrelfest back in January (pictures of bands, acts, activities, feasting and what not to post 130!) I have to abide the ordinary squirrels as well. After all we have families attending NSA boot camp graduation ceremonies as well as Family Day.

Comment