The Equalizer - Queen Latifah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Equalizer - Queen Latifah

OK, I really didn't want to like this series.
    A) I liked the original with Edward Woodward as Robert McCall
    2) I really really didn't want to like Queen Latifah

So far, I have found the series interesting, and absent a lot of the vile language so many TV shows employ.

Anybody else watching this? Liking this.

Queen Latifah plays the part as Robin McCall (instead of Robert McCall) -- "I'm the one you call when you can't call 911".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Haven't watched it. Liked the original. Don't like how every show and/or movie has to replace the male lead with a female lead.

Smacks too much of the current state of social justice garbage.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Haven't watched it. Liked the original. Don't like how every show and/or movie has to replace the male lead with a female lead.

Smacks too much of the current state of social justice garbage.

OK, so three reasons I didn't want to like it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        OK, I really didn't want to like this series.
        A) I liked the original with Edward Woodward as Robert McCall
        2) I really really didn't want to like Queen Latifah

So far, I have found the series interesting, and absent a lot of the vile language so many TV shows employ.

Anybody else watching this? Liking this.

Queen Latifah plays the part as Robin McCall (instead of Robert McCall) -- "I'm the one you call when you can't call 911".
        I've only seen a commercial for it which had her manhandling some burly guy twice her size in a manner more likely to irritate him than be effective. Eyes rolled and haven't tuned in.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I've only seen a commercial for it which had her manhandling some burly guy twice her size in a manner more likely to irritate him than be effective. Eyes rolled and haven't tuned in.
          Well, yeah, but that's when I look at my wife and say "she tough!"

Comment

Ok, several things --

1) I wasn't wearing my "computer glasses," and briefly misread "Queen Latifah" as "Green Lantern."

2) I also was a fan of the original series, especially after they added Gary 7 -- I mean Robert Lansing -- to the cast.

3) Somewhat unexpectedly, I really enjoy the movie versions with Denzel Washington. I like them just as much as the original series. (Excursus: I wonder when DC will do another black version of Superman, but one having the Kryptonian name, "Denz-El.")

4) What mossy said. Don't do a sex-change on an established popular character. Create a *new* character. No one had to turn Bubba the Vampire Slayer into Buffy. Similar stupid thing happened with the Alan Scott version of Green Lantern from the Golden Age; I'm told he was "reimagined" as gay in the modern continuity. Similar with the Arrowverse version of Mr. Terrific vs. the original comics version.

5) What rogue said. That kind of thing really is silly. I wish everyone who still thinks that Billy Jean King actually won against Bobby Riggs knew the details.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The show isn't bad. But her (slowly) fighting off three thugs using (bad) kung fu is a bit unbelievable.

It seems a bit to "formula" though. You have the hero who helps people for free, with her super tech team that supports her and feeds her data by hacking everything in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The show isn't bad. But her (slowly) fighting off three thugs using (bad) kung fu is a bit unbelievable.
                As indicated this has always been a sticking point for me.

Simply put, if you can't fight. Don't. Don't try faking it because it is cringe worthy and distracting.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It seems a bit to "formula" though. You have the hero who helps people for free, with her super tech team that supports her and feeds her data by hacking everything in sight.
                  And who pays for all that? She doesn't charge her clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And who pays for all that? She doesn't charge her clients.
                    There was always sort of an implication (in each iteration) that McCall somehow got rich(ish) during his time in the CIA (or whatever branch of spookdom he was in).

Anyone remember "Stingray" (Nick Mancuso, IIRC)? I really enjoyed that one, but it didn't last long. Similar concept, except he didn't work totally for free. People he helped were expected to render services for him in future cases.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

And of course, who can forget...

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        As indicated this has always been a sticking point for me.

Simply put, if you can't fight. Don't. Don't try faking it because it is cringe worthy and distracting.
                        Yeah she looks more like a middle aged mom than a super spy.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

There was always sort of an implication (in each iteration) that McCall somehow got rich(ish) during his time in the CIA (or whatever branch of spookdom he was in).

Anyone remember "Stingray" (Nick Mancuso, IIRC)? I really enjoyed that one, but it didn't last long. Similar concept, except he didn't work totally for free. People he helped were expected to render services for him in future cases.
                          Yeah, I think in the current series, "the company" (CIA) is funding her operation because she occasionally helps them out, because she's such a critically important figure, and they want her back.

Comment

I don't know if it's fair to compare this version of Equalizer with Leverage, because I haven't seen this.

But Leverage was far better at getting things "equalized" than just using muscle. Although that was necessary at times.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah she looks more like a middle aged mom than a super spy.
                              Likewise, while all of those supermodel-like actresses are easy on the eyes, watching them regularly (supposedly) soundly beating the crap out of several guys that make sumo wrestlers look puny is so unrealistic.

Comment